Our partner

Abandoning your family and blame

Forum for significant others, family and friends of people with mental illness to discuss relevant issues they face.
Forum rules
This is a support forum for the family, partners and friends of those with mental health issues. This forum is intended to be a safe place to discuss information, give and receive support and learn about all the issues related to being involved with a person with a disorder. Whilst it can be healthy to express various emotions, please remember to be respectful about the disorder itself. This is a place for constructive discussions, not a venting forum.

The issues experienced by the significant others of those with disorders cannot always be discussed in the other parts of the site in a way that does not trigger those with disorders. Moderators may therefore move threads from other forums into this one at their discretion.

Abandoning your family and blame

Postby Aprilmay2017 » Fri May 19, 2017 5:50 pm

Hello,
Thes are probably ridiculous questions.
My husband left my baby and I completely out of the blue. He claimed that my shock was unfounded as our relationship had been bad for months. However the night before he left he was telling me he loved me and planning for the future.
I guess what I'm asking is, do narcissists act impulsively? Do they know the reasoning behind their actions and will they ever be truthful?
Anybody experienced a narcissist become jealous of a child? My husbands mother was a narcissist, could he have been jealous of the love I showed our daughter?
anyone have any experience divorcing and co-parenting with a narcissist?
My ex refuses to speak at all and I'm struggling to cope without answers
Many thanks
Aprilmay2017
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:45 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Abandoning your family and blame

Postby Jasmer » Sat May 20, 2017 9:30 pm

What interesting questions.

do narcissists act impulsively?

Impulsivity is not a diagnostic trait or hallmark of NPD. It is, however, a diagnostic feature of BPD and ASPD. That's not to say narcissists can't be impulsive, as some are, it just isn't a defining characteristic of the disorder and it isn't typical.

Aprilmay2017 wrote:Do they know the reasoning behind their actions and will they ever be truthful?

Lack of insight is so common and pervasive in NPD that it's included in the alternate diagnostic model in Section III of the DSM-5.

Self-direction: Goal setting based on gaining approval from others; personal standards unreasonably high in order to see oneself as exceptional, or too low based on a sense of entitlement; often unaware of own motivations.

Aprilmay2017 wrote:Anybody experienced a narcissist become jealous of a child?

Even people who aren't narcissists have been known to be jealous of children. As ridiculous as it is, you don't need a personality disorder to be this selfish.

Has he been clinically diagnosed? What qualifies your diagnosis of him? Are you familiar with the diagnostic criteria, the alternative diagnostic criteria, and differential diagnosis required to diagnose this disorder?

In a word, would you describe his overall personality style as coquettish, callous, grandiose, or needy? This is important because calling him a "narcissist" and treating him like a "narcissist" when he may in fact be borderline or something else will only cause you more problems down the road.
Dx: NPD, PTSD
Jasmer
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:45 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Significant Others, Family & Friends Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post