Our partner

tips for getting through a gyno exam

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: scepticalblahblah, salted lipstick

tips for getting through a gyno exam

Postby minaque » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:12 pm

i am 38. i have only been twice before and they were not good experiences, in fact, they were terrible. i am now having some issues and need to go. scared to death.
MINAQUE
see the safety of the life you have built
everything where it belongs
feel the hollowness inside of your heart
and it's all right where it belongs
-NIN
minaque
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:49 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:18 pm

I have problems with that time too, do you have a male doctor or a female doctor?

Also telling them that you are very uncomfortable may help.

What were the past expierences like ?
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 24, 2014 7:49 pm

gyno experiences

Postby minaque » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:03 pm

the first time i went was 20 yrs ago. i needed to get birth control. went to the gynocologyst my mother went to for years. he was creepy. i don't remember much, he was inappropriate, i didn't realize it at the time. the second time i went was 15 yrs ago. this time to a woman. i was so tense and nervous that she couldn't do anything and after several attempts she got angry and basically threw me out.
i don't have anyone to go to. i have to find someone.
MINAQUE
-NIN
minaque
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:20 pm

I wondered at times when i first started going when I was 16 whether what he did was appropriate or not, still wonder to this day, this doctor delivered me and my twin sister, so I knew him all my life and he was my family doctor.

However, I have a female now and she doesn't do what he did when checking me, and it's as quick as less then a minute.

I can understand why you aren't comfortable then but not every doctor is like that, can you get a female doc to do this instead ?

She shouldn't have thrown you out because you were too nervous, you had a right to complain about her treating you that way, doctors are supposed to be soothing, and gentle, allowing you to take your time to relax and also to let you know that though it may be uncomfortable it'll be kick.

Did it start to bother you after you went 20 yrs ago?

What caused your PTSD ?
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

gyn exams

Postby minaque » Fri Dec 26, 2008 2:00 pm

did i mention i have ptsd??
MINAQUE
-NIN
minaque
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

gyn exam

Postby minaque » Fri Dec 26, 2008 3:19 pm

i guess i illuded to that considering the forum i am in :wink:
i was molested by my brother who is 10 yrs older than me, from age 5-8 yrs. i was molested by an old man neighbor one time on the toilet when i was 7yrs. i was violently raped by a friend's father at 10yrs ,and my drunk 22 yr old cousin attempted to rape me when i was 15 but i got away.
MINAQUE
-NIN
minaque
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Sat Dec 27, 2008 5:23 pm

I also deal with PTSD I dealt with rape, abuse, sexual assaults and sexual harassments... Have a pap done is something that is triggering for me as well, I think if you open up to your doctor without going into details they perhaps can ease your mind a bit.. I mentioned it to my female doctor and she was good... though it is still uncomfortable but she does it extremely quick.

Hang in there.
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby plicketycat » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:41 pm

I have a friend who has PTSD from rape trauma and I always go to her gyno appointments with her. I hold her hand and talk to her throughout the entire exam. Her doctor knows that I will not leave the room and they can't make me leave as long as she wants me there. So, if you have a trusted friend or relative who is willing to go with you and stay with you, it might be easier on you because you know that person won't let anything bad happen to you. A lot of doctors don't like to let other people into appointments with you, but it's YOUR decision, not theirs and if you want someone with you the docs have to let them stay.
It is better to be hated for what you are than to be loved for what you are not. --- Andre Gide

Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde
plicketycat
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 24, 2014 3:49 pm

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Sat Dec 27, 2008 10:46 pm

That's another thing you can try as Plicketcat said, could you ask a friend to go with you at all?
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

gyn exam

Postby minaque » Wed Dec 31, 2008 2:46 pm

thank you, but no, i wouldn't want anyone with me. i will find someone and ask to meet with them in the office first and discuss my issues with them. hopefully we can come up with a plan that is tolerable. i may bring a picture of my dogs with me to focus on and help keep me present.

thank you for all your replies, it helps to know i am not alone, although sorry that i am not alone too.
MINAQUE
-NIN
minaque
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next