Our partner

Is pedophilia genetic?

Paraphilias message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: WichitaLineman, CrackedGirl

Forum rules
You are entering a forum that contains discussions of a sexual nature, some of which are explicit. The topics discussed may be offensive to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum.

This forum is intended to be a place where people can support each other in finding healing and healthy ways of functioning. Discussions that promote illegal activity will not be tolerated. Please note that this forum is moderated, and people who are found to be using this forum for inappropriate purposes will be banned. Psychforums works hard to ensure that this forum is law abiding. Moderators will report evidence of illegal activity to the police.

Is pedophilia genetic?

Postby Seth-Sobek » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:37 am

Based on my understanding and the following presentation:

http://vimeo.com/33793616

I have come to believe that Pedophilia, if not purely genetic, is at least strongly affected by genetic factors.

Is there any comparativly scientific research done in the field? Any well-know theories on the causes?

The moral implications, of course, also have to be considered if this is indeed a genetic feature.

And one has to consider: If it is genetic, then how did the pedophilia gene select for survival? In nature, genes should only spread if they have some benefit to the species - But pedophiles are attracted to pre-pubescents, who cannot have children (Hebephilia, of course, does not hinder reproduction).

It seems particularly interesting that pedophilia seems to run in families. This of course could imply learned behavior, but IMHO it probably implies that genetic factors where available and then shaped by environmental factors.

Your opinion (With citation)?
All you touch, and all you see, is all your life will ever be.
Seth-Sobek
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:16 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Is pedophilia genetic?

Postby Supersaneman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:53 am

Paraphilias can be caused by damage to the brain, f ex due to a stroke.

There might be other reasons than the actual paraphilia that child sexual abuse tend to run in families, besides hereditary factors and the upbringing they get, which of course is probably bad in other ways as well. Conditions in the womb can influence a lot of things, including leading to birth defects with mental retardation (f ex due to alcohol or deficiencies.) Also, there might be a labeling error in that lots of child sexual abuse isn't done by actual pedophiles, but by people looking for an easy or convenient target, or even want a tight hole to use for all I know. Which in turn I'll speculate could be due to being psychopaths or addicts and addiction is pretty inheritable. Another reason it tend to run is families is people who get caught lie or have hypnosis convince them it happened to them.
Supersaneman
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Postby Anxious58 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 11:58 am

Is there any comparativly scientific research done in the field? Any well-know theories on the causes?
There is nearly no scientific research into paedophilia, nor the adult attraction to minors (0-18) and child sexuality.
There are a few reasons for this:
1. No funding for such research.
2. Anyone conducting such research will be slandered with a paedo-tag.
3. The mainstream views were not, and are not based on research and hence are mostly false. Psychiatry is not 100% scientific, it appeals to social values/social norms which are not logical in nature or valuable in any way.

In a way we know one cannot learn to be attracted to something. That is, it is accepted now that homosexuals do not choose their sexuality. But this has no bearing on their parents, siblings or cousins etc sexuality. As such I don't think paedophilia runs in families.

However, I do think the disgust of underage sex is something learned. The concept of under 18 is a social construct
That is, if one were not to learn that U18 is wrong, then they would not believe it so.

In a way we are all paedophiles. That is, if we were not taught, nor thought such activities were wrong, we thought they were beneficial to the childs growth and development. We would engage in and enjoy those activities.
Shall I compare thee to a summer's day?
Thou art more lovely and more temperate
Anxious58
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Seth-Sobek » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:31 pm

Supersaneman wrote:Paraphilias can be caused by damage to the brain, f ex due to a stroke.

The presentation actually showed a direct link between head injury leading to unconciousness before age 13 (Which I did experience) and being a pedophile who acted out.

Supersaneman wrote:Another reason it tend to run is families is people who get caught lie or have hypnosis convince them it happened to them.

I have seriously considered seeking hypnosis to see if I was molested in my childhood. What data do you have on fake memories of childhood abuse?

Anxious58 wrote:There is nearly no scientific research into paedophilia, nor the adult attraction to minors (0-18) and child sexuality.

AFAIK these are 3 categories:

1) 0-4, toddlers
2) 5-11(ish), children, pedophiles
3) 12-17, adolescents, hebephiles

I'm "lucky" enough to be a pedo-hebephile, so I get 5-14'ish. So at least I can get legal in Spain (Age of Consent = 13).

3. The mainstream views were not, and are not based on research and hence are mostly false. Psychiatry is not 100% scientific, it appeals to social values/social norms which are not logical in nature or valuable in any way.

Try watching the presentation. It deals with brainresearch, not pseudoscience (psycology).

However, I do think the disgust of underage sex is something learned. The concept of under 18 is a social construct
That is, if one were not to learn that U18 is wrong, then they would not believe it so.

In a way we are all paedophiles. That is, if we were not taught, nor thought such activities were wrong, we thought they were beneficial to the childs growth and development. We would engage in and enjoy those activities.

Not everyone, there is a real distinction, ALSO BIOLOGICALLY, between pedophiles and non-pedophiles. Just watch the presentation.
Seth-Sobek
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Supersaneman » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:22 pm

Seth-Sobek wrote:I have seriously considered seeking hypnosis to see if I was molested in my childhood. What data do you have on fake memories of childhood abuse?

I heard it from several skeptical sources mentioning in regards to child ritual sexual abuse f ex over the years. I did a quick search. Linking some results from the first page. Another reason is how the memory works. Once you access a memory, it's actually deleted and have to be saved again and there's room to alter it when it happens. There's even treatments in the works where you're given a drug that impairs storing memories and you're told to recollect the things you want to forget.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/scienc ... nosis3.htm
Additionally, the subconscious is the storehouse for all your memories. While under hypnosis, subjects may be able to access past events that they have completely forgotten. Psychiatrists may use hypnotism to bring up these memories so that a related personal problem can finally be resolved. Since the subject's mind is in such a suggestible state, it is also possible to create false memories. For this reason, psychiatrists must be extremely careful when exploring a hypnotic subject's past.

http://atheism.about.com/b/2006/08/09/h ... mories.htm
A popular belief about hypnosis is that it can be used to access memories which have been repressed and buried very deeply. It's even believe that hypnosis can be used to access memories of past lives. These beliefs are all false — there is no basis for thinking such things to be true. It's little more than a myth popularized by the gullible.

http://skepdic.com/falsememory.html
A false memory is a memory which is a distortion of an actual experience, or a confabulation of an imagined one. Many false memories involve confusing or mixing fragments of memory events, some of which may have happened at different times but which are remembered as occurring together. Many false memories involve an error in source memory. Some involve treating dreams as if they were playbacks of real experiences. Still other false memories are believed to be the result of the prodding, leading, and suggestions of therapists and counselors. Finally, Dr. Elizabeth Loftus has shown not only that it is possible to implant false memories, but that it is relatively easy to do so.

Didn't read the whole articles linked myself.
Supersaneman
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 8:16 pm

Postby Anomalous Cluster » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:41 pm

Seth-Sobek wrote:Based on my understanding and the following presentation:

http://vimeo.com/33793616

Great presentation! My take away is that there is clearly a biological cause. Not necessarily genetic, but could be. It seems clear that a cause goes back at least as far as the womb. As he said, handedness and height are hard to explain otherwise. It could be something that happens during the pregnancy (the womb is our first environment.) Also there may be other environmental aspects that could trigger it. So there are a lot of unknowns.

I'm inclined to think that both "nature" and "nurture" are at work. Just a hunch. More research in this field would be a good thing, imo. Being able to test and/or treat unborn children for this condition would be an incredible help!

Seth-Sobek wrote:And one has to consider: If it is genetic, then how did the pedophilia gene select for survival? In nature, genes should only spread if they have some benefit to the species - But pedophiles are attracted to pre-pubescents, who cannot have children (Hebephilia, of course, does not hinder reproduction).

You could ask the same thing about any inherited disease or deformity. Genes could have simply gotten a free ride along with genuine adaptations. It could be something that is carried in the genes ofthe reproducing population but only gets switched on in certain circumstances.

Seth-Sobek wrote:
It seems particularly interesting that pedophilia seems to run in families. This of course could imply learned behavior, but IMHO it probably implies that genetic factors where available and then shaped by environmental factors.

It's definitely plausible.

-- Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:46 pm --

I'm right handed, average height (6 feet or 183cm), and have an IQ that is above 100. What gives?
I don't believe everything I think.
Reality and fantasy are sometimes best kept separate.
Anomalous Cluster
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Seth-Sobek » Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:47 pm

Thank you.

On the topic, however, of whether or not pedophilia is genetic, seems to be answered in the presentation I showed you.

People who are convicted as child molesters are, compared to both regular citizens, offenders, sex offenders, and hebephile sex offenders:

* Lower IQ (On average)
* More likely to have suffered a head injury leading to unconciousness before age 13 (Injury after age 13 had no effect)
* More likely to be male
* Much more likely to have had special education
* Worse visual memory
* Differences in gray matter
* Shorter stature

And so on.

This only becomes significant (statistically) once we begin to look at large populations.

In my case, for example (I am unfortunatetly myself minor-attracted, or whatever), suffered at least headinjury between ages 6-10, I had two impacts in the womb and as an infant, and was diagnosed with asperger's syndrome in basic school.

So it seems there is a clear link in the causes to genetic factors, specifically, the gray matter (which serves to connect different parts of the brain). "Miswired" seems to be a reasonable analogy (although little more) whean speaking of this. It seems that the parts of the brain that are supposed to react to sexual objects trigger at the sight, smell, sound and movement of children instead of adults (Those 4 are the sexual characteristics that trigger in the sexual sympathic neurons).

So while a healthy adult male is supposed to have his sexuality trigger when he hears a cute 19 year old girl giggle, mine triggers when I hear children playing.

It sucks ass, but at least this path of research opens the possibility of either a cure for those already suffering, or perhaps even a discovery of the nutricious, genetic and/or environmental factors that lead to such brain formation.

Personally I think it's all deterministic.

-- Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:50 pm --

Anomalous Cluster wrote:I'm right handed, average height (6 feet or 183cm), and have an IQ that is above 100. What gives?

Am I to assume you yourself is a pedo- or hebephile?

I myself have an IQ of roughly 120 and many people consider me "smart" (because I memorize facts). However, I do have a noted social ackwardness. I can never communicate as easily in words as I can in text - I am not very elequent "IRL".
Seth-Sobek
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Anomalous Cluster » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:36 pm

Seth-Sobek wrote:Thank you.

On the topic, however, of whether or not pedophilia is genetic, seems to be answered in the presentation I showed you.

Your welcome. There is clearly some kind of biological cause. Biological is not necessarily genetic.

Seth-Sobek wrote:This only becomes significant (statistically) once we begin to look at large populations.

A very important consideration. The human brain is (generally) set up better to understand stories than statistics, or so I've heard. So it can be helpful to be reminded of this.

Seth-Sobek wrote:In my case, for example (I am unfortunatetly myself minor-attracted, or whatever), suffered at least headinjury between ages 6-10, I had two impacts in the womb and as an infant, and was diagnosed with asperger's syndrome in basic school.

So it seems there is a clear link in the causes to genetic factors, specifically, the gray matter (which serves to connect different parts of the brain). "Miswired" seems to be a reasonable analogy (although little more) whean speaking of this. It seems that the parts of the brain that are supposed to react to sexual objects trigger at the sight, smell, sound and movement of children instead of adults (Those 4 are the sexual characteristics that trigger in the sexual sympathic neurons).

So while a healthy adult male is supposed to have his sexuality trigger when he hears a cute 19 year old girl giggle, mine triggers when I hear children playing.

It sucks ass, but at least this path of research opens the possibility of either a cure for those already suffering, or perhaps even a discovery of the nutricious, genetic and/or environmental factors that lead to such brain formation.

-- Mon Sep 10, 2012 4:50 pm --

Anomalous Cluster wrote:I'm right handed, average height (6 feet or 183cm), and have an IQ that is above 100. What gives?

Am I to assume you yourself is a pedo- or hebephile?

I myself have an IQ of roughly 120 and many people consider me "smart" (because I memorize facts). However, I do have a noted social ackwardness. I can never communicate as easily in words as I can in text - I am not very elequent "IRL".

Well, I'm attracted to people in the the hebephile range as well as adults, and occasionally in the pedophile range. So whatever that is. (It also seems to fluctuate in intensity, which seems odd to me :? .) I also had a head injury at a (very) young age, not sure if it lead to unconsciousness, and was diagnosed with aspberger's.

Seth-Sobek wrote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mEzgc_ne60 Couldn't resist... well I could have. :P
Anomalous Cluster
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Anomalous Cluster » Mon Sep 10, 2012 5:47 pm

Supersaneman wrote:
Seth-Sobek wrote:I have seriously considered seeking hypnosis to see if I was molested in my childhood. What data do you have on fake memories of childhood abuse?

I heard it from several skeptical sources mentioning in regards to child ritual sexual abuse f ex over the years. I did a quick search. Linking some results from the first page. Another reason is how the memory works. Once you access a memory, it's actually deleted and have to be saved again and there's room to alter it when it happens. There's even treatments in the works where you're given a drug that impairs storing memories and you're told to recollect the things you want to forget.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/scienc ... nosis3.htm
Additionally, the subconscious is the storehouse for all your memories. While under hypnosis, subjects may be able to access past events that they have completely forgotten. Psychiatrists may use hypnotism to bring up these memories so that a related personal problem can finally be resolved. Since the subject's mind is in such a suggestible state, it is also possible to create false memories. For this reason, psychiatrists must be extremely careful when exploring a hypnotic subject's past.

http://atheism.about.com/b/2006/08/09/h ... mories.htm
A popular belief about hypnosis is that it can be used to access memories which have been repressed and buried very deeply. It's even believe that hypnosis can be used to access memories of past lives. These beliefs are all false — there is no basis for thinking such things to be true. It's little more than a myth popularized by the gullible.

http://skepdic.com/falsememory.html
A false memory is a memory which is a distortion of an actual experience, or a confabulation of an imagined one. Many false memories involve confusing or mixing fragments of memory events, some of which may have happened at different times but which are remembered as occurring together. Many false memories involve an error in source memory. Some involve treating dreams as if they were playbacks of real experiences. Still other false memories are believed to be the result of the prodding, leading, and suggestions of therapists and counselors. Finally, Dr. Elizabeth Loftus has shown not only that it is possible to implant false memories, but that it is relatively easy to do so.

Didn't read the whole articles linked myself.

Here's another one: http://faculty.washington.edu/eloftus/A ... /sciam.htm
Anomalous Cluster
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby LivingSoul » Sat Sep 22, 2012 1:17 am

Yes, pedophilia is genetic -- everyone has the pedo-gene!

It's cliché and mean, but I wouldn't flinch at all to call Cantor a Nazi scientist.

My view on this is very similar to John Modrow's in How to Become a Schizophrenic: that is, it's a cultural construct and conditioned response.

To use Eric Berne's term, Cantor is playing "wooden leg", i.e. attributing to external material cause what is the outcome of internal-social emotional processes.

For those who have traveled broadly, or read history and ethnology, or simply groove to "needs based psychology", Cantor's claims are just silly. A more detailed reply would be a waste of time.
LivingSoul
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Next

Return to Paraphilias Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post