Our partner

Any chance we can clarify what 'pro-contact' means?

Paraphilias message board, open discussion, and online support group.
Forum rules
================================================

The Paraphilias Forum is now closed for new posts. It is against the Forum Rules to discuss paraphilias as the main topic of a post anywhere at PsychForums.

================================================

You are entering a forum that contains discussions of a sexual nature, some of which are explicit. The topics discussed may be offensive to some people. Please be aware of this before entering this forum.

This forum is intended to be a place where people can support each other in finding healing and healthy ways of functioning. Discussions that promote illegal activity will not be tolerated. Please note that this forum is moderated, and people who are found to be using this forum for inappropriate purposes will be banned. Psychforums works hard to ensure that this forum is law abiding. Moderators will report evidence of illegal activity to the police.

Re: Any chance we can clarify what 'pro-contact' means?

Postby RecoveringSO » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:08 am

Gemini_Incarnate wrote:My apologies. Reading your post as well as rereading my own, I've come to realize that yes,I did make this more of a black and white issue. My original response was not meant to demonstrate how to prevent all children being hit by cars. It was merely pointing out that steps can be taken in order to help children watch out for themselves rather than have an adult monitoring their every movements. The original statement was interpreted by me as "children need adults to monitor and control them because they cannot think for themselves" and I was trying to show that that statement was exaggerated and unfair. I see your point though. Your description of a child chasing after a ball especially hit home for me, though I'd like to go on record by saying that a) An adult could also do something like this, though on the whole less likely to do so, and b) having an adult present in that situation won't really be of any help in that situation unless they were in a position to physically stop the child, which is unlikely, and c) I have a good feeling the driver was speeding in that story. A moot point, I know, but still.

In any case, I stand by the notion that the first step to protection children is knowledge and that the vast majority of child danger can be averted simply by stating and reiemphasing the dangers from time to time. Regardless, I'll take care to not jump the gun and think things through a bit more in the future. (In regards to your statements about child development, I can't really argue against it because I know nothing of physiology and neurology. What you say does make sense though.)

As far as neurology and physiology, to be fair, I can't effectively argue FOR it as it is a very new topic to me, LoL.

But with everything you have said here, we can now find agreement; Children need knowledge, guidance and the chance to spread their wings. This is very healthy for them as it helps prepare them for their futures, builds their confidence and esteem, etc. Overprotected children do not tend to turn out so well. So, I agree, with the stipulation that as human beings, we must be cognitive of the human beings around us and not place our fellow man, regardless of their age, into situations that is more than what they are capable of handling.
RecoveringSO
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:48 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Gemini_Incarnate » Wed Sep 02, 2015 4:47 am

Indeed. Now if only we could agree on just what they are capable of handling. :roll:
Alters:

Levi [INFP]
*Meow* ^^
Aaron [ESTP]
"Live and let live, lest bigotry be the death of us all."
Gemini_Incarnate
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:48 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby Endymion » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:44 am

RecoveringSO wrote:Overprotected children do not tend to turn out so well. So, I agree, with the stipulation that as human beings, we must be cognitive of the human beings around us and not place our fellow man, regardless of their age, into situations that is more than what they are capable of handling.

My therapist is of the belief that I was emotionally abused by my parents for them taking all possible measures to prevent expression of my sexuality between the age at which I became properly sexually aware (9/10) and when I finally left home to escape the tyranny (having just turned 16/17). So I would be tempted to reformulate the above and simply say that we should be sensitive to the needs of others, which may be protection, but may also be a greater degree of latitude.
Endymion
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:48 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to Paraphilias Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post