Our partner

Do I have Paranoid Personality Disorder?

Paranoid Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Do I have Paranoid Personality Disorder?

Postby yellow2535 » Wed May 23, 2007 7:54 pm

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could help me. I have been reading about the symptoms of paranoid personailty disorders and I am not sure if I have it. I do not want to be too quick to diagnose myself but nor do I want to ignore it if I do have it.

Just about 3-4 years ago I started having some paranoid thoughts when I go out with certain groups of people. I usually get these thoughts when I am out with a group of people. The situation is worse when I am in a strange environment that I am not familar in.

Once I went out with my boyfriend and his group of friends and I started thinking my boyfriend and his friends were keeping something from me and plotting to do something to me. I wouldn't let my boyfriend leave my sight because I thought he was also going to cheat on me. Everything he said I thought he was trying to find a way to go and cheat. I thought all his friends were in on it too and helping him plan it. I still think that it could be true...and that was 4 years ago...

Recently I went out with my boyfriend again and some of his family members and friends. I started getting paranoid again. Everything was fine up until one of his family members started talking about something and I started thinking he was using code words and that my boyfriend knew what he was talking about and thats why he was laughing. I felt like they were hiding something from me. I started thinking they had a secret lifestyle that they slept with prostitutes and they were all trying to keep it from me. This time though I stopped myself and told myself I was just being paranoid. It actually went away and I distracted myself with drinks and forgot about it.

I haven't done it recently but sometimes when I'm driving I think other cars are working together and trying to trap me into getting into a car accident with them to get money from my insurance. Sometimes when I drive at night I think other cars are trying to follow me or do something to me.

Oh and sometimes when I am taking a shower I think my boyfriend is sneaking out to cheat on me with someone who lives in the same apartment complex and sneaks back before I'm done showering.

I'm not sure if I am just paranoid or if i have a disorder. Most of the time I know I am being paranoid and that it is not true. But I also think that it could be true. Sometimes when I go out I am fine also. What do you guys think?
yellow2535
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:14 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby SuspiciousMind » Thu May 24, 2007 10:32 am

yellow2535

The thoughts you're describing are very similar to mine and I was diagnosed with paranoid personality disorder 4 years ago. Then what rubystar mentioned, delusional jealousy, also sound a lot like it and I do recognize myself there too.

I did not know I was paranoid or very much on my guard and jealous before I was diagnosed. I never reflected on it. I thought it was normal and the right way to be/think/react or feel. Since I became aware it's been easier for me to distract or prevent myself from letting the paranoia get out of control. But it is still hard at times. It is especially in a new relationship my problems tend to show the most. That, stress, not enough sleep and alcohol tend to make my problems worse.

It could be PPD but I think the best way to find out is to talk to a psychatrist.
~To conquer oneself is to conquer one's worst enemy~
SuspiciousMind
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:14 pm

Postby yellow2535 » Fri May 25, 2007 6:54 pm

thank you both (rubystar and SuspiciousMind) for responding to my post. i read the description for delusional jealousy but that doesn't really seem like me.

i think i probably have a few issues and should seek help before i drive my fiance crazy.

thanks again for your input!
yellow2535
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 5:14 pm

Postby SuspiciousMind » Sat May 26, 2007 6:33 pm

yellow2535

Have you talked to your fiance about this? What does he feel/think about it? Does he believe you need help? Do you argue a lot because of this? Or is there anyone who has ever mentioned they believe you're paranoid?

I'm just curious.
~To conquer oneself is to conquer one's worst enemy~
SuspiciousMind
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 11:14 pm

Return to Paranoid Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post