Our partner

White noise has remarkable effect on my anxiety

Panic Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

White noise has remarkable effect on my anxiety

Postby lockett » Wed Aug 10, 2005 7:55 pm

Hi I have noticed a remarkable anti anxiety effect immediately from the following.

You may have heard of the healing effect of so called white noise. And I heard Art Bell the radio host say that the random pattern of snow or static on a tv screen is an example of that type of white noise randomness. So I started unhooking the cable or turning the TV to another channel other than the one that allowed my cable (channel 4) to get an example of that pure snow or static to see what it did to me when I stared at it. The static sound was irritating so I turned the sound off while I stared at the screen on static. I made sure the channel I had it on produced pure static (the black dots jumping around on a white screen) without any bleed through of any broadcast and I held my stare on the screen and this is what I experienced:

An immediate profound antianxiety effect, a calmness, a sleepiness that if I wasnt alert could put me to sleep and a feeling of well being, of pleasure all immediate although the sleepiness progressed with time sometimes and none of these responses stopped no matter how long I stared or how many days in a row I did it.

So I looked up the effect of white noise on the internet and it said that it created the theta brainwave state which was the brainwave state of the fetus and which was thought to be a healing brainwave state. It said it was the brainwave state that we had as we dropped off to sleep. It further said that melatonin was created in greater amounts in that brainwave state and that melatonin had its own sleep inducing and health effect too. It also stated that it created endorphins, which are an anti pain chemical in us and also make us feel good.

If I dont want to stare at it because I want to read or watch a TV show or fix dinner etc I have noticed if I just have the snow somewhere in my field of peripheral vision it works about 75% as well for me

So that is my experience.

Regards, Steve
lockett
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:21 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Thu Aug 11, 2005 8:39 pm

^^

I know you lol, seen this post on another forum. ;)
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:21 pm

to sadgirlre white noise

Postby lockett » Fri Aug 12, 2005 8:24 pm

--Hi Sadgurl, I actually posted it on 10 anxiety or panic forums because I am curious as to whether others with panic attack or anaxiety will find the same effect I did but at least so far no one has tried it although people post thats sounds interesting Ill try that?????--It would take someone less time to try it than to write that reply-10 seconds to unhook the cable and turn on the TV and the antianxiety effect starts in 10 seconds for me so why doesnt anyone just do that and see??? --Did you try it, Sad?--thanks Steve
lockett
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Sat Aug 13, 2005 2:40 pm

Yeah, when I can't sleep whether it be from stress, anxiety etc, I have done it, not with a white noise machine but fans etc.
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby lockett » Sat Aug 13, 2005 6:27 pm

Dear Sad It seems I have confused everyone by calling it white noise which they think theyve already tried and Ive tried fans too and this is completely different reaction in the brain--see definition of this type of white noise below --No one else that I am aware of other than a few friends who didnt have anxiety and a women with a migraine who said it relieved it has ever STARED at a representation of white noise so no one has ever tried this before. Does anyone out there in psych forumland want to try this and let me know if Im the only one on the planet that gets this profound effect starting in 10 seconds----If you do KEEP THE SOUND COMPLETELY OFF

DEFINITION--Technically white noise is purely random noise consisting of all frequencies, and is heard as a hissing sound – more random than that of a fan. Talking of white noise with reference to an image is confusing to understand, but it’s merely that same noise being displayed on the TV screen instead of being heard through the loudspeaker. It’s actually random noise being generated by the components in the TV tuner because it has turned it’s gain up so much in trying to find a TV signal where none exists.

Thanks Steve
lockett
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby patm3300 » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:29 pm

this white noise stuff definitely sounds very cool, but i am not so sure how to get a hold of some i fear that my tv is too nice and there are no channels that produce it. can somebody please give me some advice as to obtaining this white noise.
You must be the change you wish to see in the world - Mahatma Gandhi
patm3300
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:59 am

You don't need tv to use white noise.... there are white noise machines that you can purchase, a fan can be used etc.
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby patm3300 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 6:28 am

any old fan like the kind that just rotate around? i guess i was listening to one before and it was kind of relaxing i suppose. i also like looking at guided imagery of my selection and giving myself some knocks on the head with a paddle. that always takes the edge of the depression and anxiety for a while
patm3300
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Butterfly Faerie » Sat Nov 26, 2005 3:26 pm

I think any fan as long as it's close enough for you to hear and concentrate on.

I had to use white noise when I was having trouble sleeping... to help me get into a routine again. Some people use music, but I can't use that.
Butterfly Faerie
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby patm3300 » Sat Nov 26, 2005 4:43 pm

sadgurl wrote:I think any fan as long as it's close enough for you to hear and concentrate on.

I had to use white noise when I was having trouble sleeping... to help me get into a routine again. Some people use music, but I can't use that.

sweet i will have to try that i guess i remember sleeping with a fan on in the summer before and it was quite relaxing. i found a good channel on the TV for making white noise. it is very relaxing. i like how the noise "feels" nice and soft like i could cuddle up with it. it is kind of entrancing.
patm3300
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Panic Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post