Our partner

misdiagnosed ODD as a teenager and stigma

Oppositional Defiant Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

misdiagnosed ODD as a teenager and stigma

Postby stumbeline » Fri Dec 31, 2010 10:41 am

Hi everyone,

I was misdiagnosed as having ODD when I was about 12/13 years old. I was never violent - a little defiant but not out of the ordinary, never had rage attacks, etc. I was pinned against my sister - we were having the exact same symptoms, anxiety, depression, agoraphobia, etc - but she was really 'sick' and I was just being defiant. Basically, I was being abused at home and refused to talk about my internal world because I was threatened.

This is just kind of a vent and also a warning - the ODD label can be very harmful if it's not really true. I felt betrayed, and it certainly changed how my parents treated me, my mom admits that fact now. It lead to me leaving home at 15 with a pedophile and being trapped for 4+ years. My heart goes out to you guys dealing with children who really have these behavior problems, but sometimes there is more to it that needs to be explored.
stumbeline
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: misdiagnosed ODD as a teenager and stigma

Postby jasmin » Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:58 pm

Stumbeline, it's awful that you went through that. Thank you for sharing your experience and warning other people. How is your life now?
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:23 pm

Postby TheTalkingMask » Mon Apr 29, 2013 10:01 pm

This is just kind of a vent and also a warning - the ODD label can be very harmful if it's not really true

Definetely get what you mean here. I was misdiagnosed myself as well when I was in a clinic specializing at observation rather than actual therapy. My anxiety and distrust prevented me from being able to open up to the ST. They only saw my ''rebelious'' rulebreaking and stubborn behaviour with some misunderstandings that could have been preceived as ''agressive'' and easily frustrated/irritated without knowing the actual causes. Also probably because I basically had problems admitting having certain problem's because I did not want to burden my parent's with this knowledge and was very suspicious that they would discuss everything with each other behind my back. And the fact my mind isn't that helpfull when question's aren't specified and even older thoughts are misinterpretated with newer ones and disrupt the cognitive organization.

I indeed experienced this misdiagnosis to be harmfull as it actualy messed with my self perception and conflicting inner dialogue. Also created more confusion which resulted in more lack of understanding for my own mind, which is difficult since I'd always felt misunderstood as a child, let alone to be misunderstood by myself in such a degree (more than I'd normally do)
Luckely I'm at a clinic that can help me more now, at least with diagnosing me correctly.
Anyways, sorry if I got off-topic with this response.. Just want to let you know you're not alone in this. They should be more carefull diagnosing people.
TheTalkingMask
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:23 pm

Postby Cate68 » Thu Aug 08, 2013 8:24 pm

I am glad that you posted this and I agree. I think that ODD only needs to be diagnosed after other diagnoses or issues have been looked at.

Good thread. Good awareness.
One of the greatest blasphemies is the taking of one's freedom of thought, dictating matters of the heart and the theft of another's personal peace.

Everyday I live is an act of rebellion.

Maverick-a dissenter, an artist
Cate68
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:23 pm
Blog: View Blog (261)

Return to Oppositional Defiant Disorder Forum