Our partner

7 year old needs help!!!!

Oppositional Defiant Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

7 year old needs help!!!!

Postby Forgiven » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:19 pm

New to this Forum...I have posted in the past to the BiPolar Forum as I am Bipolar.

I have a son who will be 7 years old in a week. He is a sweet boy but has some serious behavior problems. I have read throughout this forum, but don't quite find what I am looking for. He is not distructive. Just plain REBELOUS!!!!!!!

Primarly he can't sit stil in class, disruptive to others, sneaky, lies, has problems keeping controling himself (like keeping his hands to himself) shouts out in class, steals minor things like a marker from daycare, sneaky, sneaky, lie, lie, lie.

We as parents have basically taken away everything that is important to him....movies, gameboy, stay overs, tv, the list goes on and on. I feel like the only thing we have left to take away is clothing, food and water!!!!!!

WE have used reward systems in but he starts them and then fails right off the bat. I am up in arm with what to do. He will bold face lie to me and his father. His father is the "disciplinarian" of the two of us. I have tightened up the ropes and that still hasn't worked.

Does anyone have any suggestions???

Just after I had strong words with my son about doing well in school, doing his best, keeping to himself, not distracting others, raising his hands, not lieing, blah, blah, blah. My son decided to sneak a toy to school this morning. I literally have to search him every morning now before school. HE lied to me this morning and I had a funny feeling so I searched him only to find a toy that he has been busted before taking to school. NO toys are allowed at school and he knows this rule! UGH!

Any suggestions???? The teachers keep saying, he is young for his age (ending 1st grade right now turning 7) and teachers feel he will grow out of this. He seems to get worse.....I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bipolar Mom
Forgiven
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: 7 year old needs help!!!!

Postby IamThat » Fri Apr 23, 2010 4:48 pm

Forgiven wrote:New to this Forum...I have posted in the past to the BiPolar Forum as I am Bipolar.

I have a son who will be 7 years old in a week. He is a sweet boy but has some serious behavior problems. I have read throughout this forum, but don't quite find what I am looking for. He is not distructive. Just plain REBELOUS!!!!!!!

Primarly he can't sit stil in class, disruptive to others, sneaky, lies, has problems keeping controling himself (like keeping his hands to himself) shouts out in class, steals minor things like a marker from daycare, sneaky, sneaky, lie, lie, lie.

We as parents have basically taken away everything that is important to him....movies, gameboy, stay overs, tv, the list goes on and on. I feel like the only thing we have left to take away is clothing, food and water!!!!!!

WE have used reward systems in but he starts them and then fails right off the bat. I am up in arm with what to do. He will bold face lie to me and his father. His father is the "disciplinarian" of the two of us. I have tightened up the ropes and that still hasn't worked.

Does anyone have any suggestions???

Just after I had strong words with my son about doing well in school, doing his best, keeping to himself, not distracting others, raising his hands, not lieing, blah, blah, blah. My son decided to sneak a toy to school this morning. I literally have to search him every morning now before school. HE lied to me this morning and I had a funny feeling so I searched him only to find a toy that he has been busted before taking to school. NO toys are allowed at school and he knows this rule! UGH!

Any suggestions???? The teachers keep saying, he is young for his age (ending 1st grade right now turning 7) and teachers feel he will grow out of this. He seems to get worse.....I NEED HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bipolar Mom

Could be oppositional defiant, adhd or autism spectrum. Whatever it is Neurofeedback can most certainly help.

Look for a practitioner near you from:

http://www.eeginfo.org.

By the way - Neurofeedback can also help Bipolar.

With regards
IamThat
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Forgiven » Fri Apr 23, 2010 5:08 pm

Anyone else with some suggestions???? I don't want to run to the shrink right off the bat. NOBODY has recognized any patterns in school or at the doctor. So, I don't think this might be a first step. My son has never seen a Psychologist or Psychiatrist.
Forgiven
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby aworriedmum » Thu May 06, 2010 7:44 am

your son sounds like my son me and my husband have tried everything you have. i took my son to the doctors this year because we were at the end of our tether with him i thought he could have adhd so the doctor sent us for a evaluation with a Psychiatrist where he was diagnosed with ODD, i would suggest you speak with your doctor because my sons primary school never picked things up and it has gradually got worse my son is now 13 so we have odd and hormones to deal with. good luck
aworriedmum
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby mom,mommy,mama... » Mon Nov 29, 2010 10:30 am

I'm sure I'm not the first to say it, but this sounds all too familiar! My 6 yo has been diagnosed with ADHD/ODD.I have been seeking guidance for the past year with his school, clinical psychologist and more recently paediatrician.
He has been suspended from kindergarten but most frustratingly seems oblivious to everyone's concerns.The school and ourselves are at a loss.Though we have seen an improvement through behaviour therapy, disciplinary programs at school and the dreaded (my opinion due to side effects) stimulant medication i have found the most beneficial thing we have done is started a new diet for our family (no sugar, processed foods, colourings,supplements.....)
It is an ongoing battle but I definately found it helpful talking to the professionals to stay level headed and keep things in perspective.Each day we seem to have a new issue before the last is addressed and it's hard not to ask "what am I doing wrong?"
It feels like there is an answer out there that will help our family live a more balanced life, and likewise yours.
I don't want to over parent but I don't want to miss the one thing I should have tried to give his childhood back.
Goodluck,hang in there.
mom,mommy,mama...
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:10 am

Postby niulfurlla » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:29 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pZM7Wtz4qYw

You may wish to watch that to get some idea's.

Negative enforcement of behaviours (punishment) will not work on a child with ODD, it will only make them worse. Neither you or your husband should take a "disciplinarian" approach. Taking away everything that's important to him, will just make him a monster. You state you had "strong words" with your son, that's part of the problem.

Very importantly as well, a child with ODD will react to your body language. If you use confrontational body language, they will defy you. Try and treat him like you would an adult colleague at work (to an extent). Don't order him, give him the choice.
niulfurlla
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Onebravegirl » Sat Mar 12, 2011 10:21 pm

I have a different opinion here. I think you have A very very intelligent boy on your hands who is bored senseless by his day to day life. My son is 8 and has a learning disability -I home school. He was in school last year and had a boy similar to yours in his class. A real Sh*t disturber! Terrible conduct!!!! BUT-It turned out he was supper smart and frustrated because he was smarter than how he was being treated and it made him so angry he acted out. Throwing chairs, hitting teachers etc. Poor Kid!!!
He is not in a gifted school and has calmed completely down. He get to be in an environment where he can feel accepted and equal to others.
So here is what I strongly recommend. Get him assessed somewhere. Not only to see what his strengths and vulnerabilities are. Just IN CASE some sort of trauma might have occurred that has created an emotional issue as well. This young should needs every precaution taken in his behalf so that he can learn to be a happy and peaceful young kid.
Tough luck Mamma-you might be nurturing Genius!!!!
Love your boy hard. It has more power than anything else.
With Hope and Care,
One
Two men looked through bars. One saw Mud, the other saw Stars.
Onebravegirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:10 pm

Return to Oppositional Defiant Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post