Our partner

Can you have false memories/thoughts?

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Otter, Torrent

Can you have false memories/thoughts?

Postby Crazy P » Tue May 22, 2012 10:42 pm

I've been having a really worrying thought about some time when I was with a kid and I got an erection, and I think it might have happened when I was with him but I can't remember. That scared me into thinking I'm a pedophile and I've been obsessing ever since. Recently though, I 'remembered' how I actually just got a random erection and that I was worried that it was something to do with being around him (itd be a blessing to know that this is a real thought because now I'd be able to accept this was a random one). Now, this memory isn't crystal clear, it just feels right when I think back, and think of it being a random one and me being scared it was cause of the kid. Could this just be my mind making this up because its what I want to hear? It just seems to fit with all the evidence I've got, like how i half remember coming into contact with him multiple times that night and not even feeling anything groinal any of the times. I'm not sure if I'm just mis remembering it or not, would my mind really make up something that explains it and fits with all the evidence? I just can't be sure, because I can't associate the thought with an image in my mind, it just seems right, as though its what happened, but I'm not 100% sure. I know this may be confusing, its just very hard to put into words. Please let me know if you need more, and thanks if you've read this far
Crazy P
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 7:53 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can you have false memories/thoughts?

Postby margharris » Tue May 22, 2012 11:43 pm

Rest easy you are not a paedophile. Yes your brain can make it all up. Your brain can create a whole fantasy out of your OCD brain. The thoughts aren't coming from your reason logic centre of your brain. These OCD thoughts always come cloaked in doubt and fear. Because most thoughts stem from something real and experienced, you want to own these OCD thoughts to. But they aren't true and just cause anxiety. You need to develop an OCD discard method for your brain. Hear it, attribute it to OCD and dump it because there is no truth in your OCD brain.
When you are feeling OK perhaps you could read up on a case of a paedophile while telling yourself you aren't one. This would be using your logic brain. The idea is to lose the anxiety when the thought comes. It is the anxiety associated with the thought that keeps it coming. You never get an intrusive thought like the sky is blue because there is no anxiety associated with the idea.
margharris
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 01, 2014 6:53 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby aesntone » Wed May 23, 2012 12:08 am

no your not it's just a false memory i remember when i was helping some kid out at a church youth camp and i can't remember if i was trying to do something bad to him but i'm probably misremembering actually thats the truth
aesntone
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Crazy P » Wed May 23, 2012 12:35 am

thank you for your replies. It's not so much that I think the thought of me getting an erection around the kid is false, I know it is a true thought as I do remember it, but what I am unsure which is false or not is the thought that it was a random one. I mean, I kind of remember it being a random erection when I was around a kid, but I also remember at the time being worried about it, so does the fact I was worried mean it happened when I came in contact with the child? Anyway, basically what I'm unsure of being a false memory is the idea that it was just a random one, do I actually remember it being this way or is it just what I want to hear? Thank you again
Crazy P
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post