Our partner

Can head injuries cause OCD?

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

Can head injuries cause OCD?

Postby Sunnyrains » Thu Nov 17, 2011 3:27 pm

Hello internet. I am a freshman in college, and have been dealing with obsessive-compulsive-like symptoms for years. It feels like they have become more apparent in my daily life and thoughts as time has gone on. I have not sought counseling or an official diagnosis yet for many reasons, but I know what it is. I also remember not feeling this way before I was ten or eleven. If that really is the case, then I wonder if this could have been caused by an accident I had falling down the stairs at my aunt's house that involved my head and a support beam to the house near the bottom of the basement stairs. Ever since that incident I have felt a sort of fuzziness or some other kind of sensation in my head above my eyes. It is almost like a very mild headache where a feeling is there, but no pain. I would love to hear any thoughts on the matter that you have to offer.
Sunnyrains
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:57 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Can head injuries cause OCD?

Postby Evol222 » Fri Nov 18, 2011 4:45 am

Hi Sunnyrains!

Did you see a doctor after your accident? You might very well have OCD; it wouldn't surprise me to hear a head injury-or any life threatening injury-could cause OCD.
However, I would encourage you to see a doctor/neurologist about your headaches to be sure you're okay physically.

*hugs* and well wishes,

Evol
Evol222
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:57 am

Postby Sunnyrains » Fri Nov 18, 2011 3:29 pm

My aunt worked (and still works) at that children's hospital. She drove me over to get my head scanned as quickly as possible after my fall since she claimed that after she propped me back up and I stopped crying I said something, and then repeated it immediately after saying it. At the time I did mention the odd sensation and I was told it would probably go away with time. It has yet to do that. Most of the time I am able to ignore it since I have had it for so long and it only slightly disrupts my concentration at low stress levels. It has only become an issue now that the average stress level for me in college is significantly higher than it was in high school. I have not adjusted to the new social dynamics or even having two roommates that well. At the very least I am still taking care of myself, doing laundry regulary, attending classes, and I have the cleanest desk on my floor.

I recently found this page from about.com. I do not trust it as a reliable source for two reasons. The first, it seems to rely on the principle that any traumatic head injury can alter brain chemistry (it may or may not since I do not know for sure.) The second, it's about.com. The phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" comes to mind when I think of about.com. I also realize that I should get to a doctor at some point, but I do not have the means to do so right now. It will have to wait for summer break perhaps since I am getting my wisdom teeth removed during winter break.
Sunnyrains
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Evol222 » Sun Nov 20, 2011 1:05 am

Hi Sunny,
Have you told your aunt the odd sensation has yet to pass?
College can be very stressful; it can definitely trigger OCD, which is essentially an anxiety disorder.
Is there someone you could see, like a college counselor? They really can help.
Yeah...I've never really trusted sites like about.com. It probably isn't very reliable or accurate.

Evol
Evol222

Local time: Sun Apr 20, 2014 7:57 am

Postby Sunnyrains » Sun Nov 20, 2011 5:10 am

Since my last post I have e-mailed the Westwood Institute for Anxiety Disorders, Inc. (their website is here) to see if head injuries can cause OCD. I hope to hear back from them soon. I do not know why this is bugging me so much lately. I really wish it would stop since I have to remain focused on finishing a lab report by Monday. It is going well so far, so it stands to reason that it will be finished by Monday (assuming my partner has done his end of the work.)

To answer your question Evol, no I have not mentioned this to my aunt. She works in radiology. From what I have seen of her work, she mostly does x-rays of kids' hands and other body parts to check if the bones are broken, fractured, etc. I do not think that telling her about this would be that helpful, and most of the time I can ignore the sensation. Also, she was already scared to death that she "broke her nephew" when it first happened. Bringing this up may not be the best idea since she is currently dealing with a lot of stress over her sons.

It probably would be a good idea to see if there is some service available on-campus where I can talk to someone or start getting help. I will send my CA an e-mail about this after I finish my lab report. I am surprised I did not come up with that idea on my own.
Sunnyrains
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post