Our partner

OCD - My Obsessions with Numbers and Other Fears

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

OCD - My Obsessions with Numbers and Other Fears

Postby Marilee » Mon Jun 06, 2011 1:16 am

Recently my OCD has been getting alot worse. While watching tv, nearly every sentence that an actor says I have to count the number of letters and words including the syllables. Like, "I love you". There are 8 letters & 3 words so 8+3=11 then I have to do subtraction 8-3=5 then add up the two answers 11+5=16. And so on and on.. There are times that I make it past 100. It's sometimes hard for me to have a conversation because I'm too busy counting what my friends say. Does anybody else have this kind of OCD with numbers? I'm afraid of the number 3 too. There are 5 people in my family. I have to touch/tap certain stuff 5 times. It's frustrating. I have trichotillomania too. I've been pulling my hair for years but its easier to hide now. I wash my hands continuously and I have these annoying obsessive thoughts that I try to change or fix to stop anything bad from happening. It's so hard and it makes me wonder if I have one of those personality disorders or something? I got an eating disorder partly from my fear of vomiting - emetophia, which I think is somehow linked to my OCD. Cause I have an alcoholic mother and i share a room with her. I tried telling my psychologist but she kept saying that I have a perfect weight and nothing is wrong. I don't how to explain to her my problems and get her to understand? J think might have to try finding a new one..
Marilee
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: OCD - My Obsessions with Numbers and Other Fears

Postby Evol222 » Mon Jun 06, 2011 4:10 am

Hi Marilee,

It sounds like your psychologist isn't really listening to you. How long have you been seeing her?
Perhaps seeking a new one would be best. Having a good relationship with your psych will likely help you feel more comfortable opening up to her/him.
No one has the right to dismiss your worries.

As for the numbers, I feel your pain and frustration. Sometimes I'll miss lengthy chunks of a film because a line has gotten caught in my mind.
I don't like the number 3, either...all odd numbers really.

Well wishes,

Evol
Evol222
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Wed Apr 16, 2014 10:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Marilee » Wed Jun 08, 2011 6:34 pm

I have been to 2 psychologists so far. I only now started seeing this new one. She first made me do an IQ test and then gave me homework, which was to write down all my childhood memories. I'm considering going back to the first one. He was much more understanding. Thanks.
Marilee
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby TheEmmanator » Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:21 am

I haven't been diagnosed with OCD, but looking around I think I have it.
I do something kind of close to what you do, except with the amount of times I breathe, or touch something.
It makes me happy to know that I'm not just some crazy person who needs to do strange things.
TheEmmanator
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:44 am

Postby caty » Thu Jun 16, 2011 7:45 am

xxx
Last edited by caty on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
caty
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:44 pm

Postby Marilee » Thu Jun 16, 2011 11:37 am

Thanks. Its nice knowing I'm not the only one going through this kind of thing.
Just wish no one would ask me "why you keep touching that?" again.
I feel that the counting might go away someday when I'm able to control it. It is managable but the rest of stuff will take time.
Marilee
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby caty » Thu Jun 16, 2011 12:09 pm

xxx
Last edited by caty on Sun Jun 19, 2011 7:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
caty
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Marilee » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:42 pm

Okay I understand completely what you mean. Control wasn't the right word to use. I've been told many times that I could just stop whenever I feel like and that its easy to 'control'. I know that's not the way to look at it now
Marilee
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby caty » Thu Jun 16, 2011 1:57 pm

xxx
caty
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby SmallBlueChain » Mon Jul 11, 2011 12:52 pm

I am afraid of that number as well!!!!!!!!!!! Also, I count syllables of words, I can't say the number or anything with the number of syllables. I am completely obsessed with elevens, and count my steps compulsively. If I see the number on the clock, I must stay there until it is gone, even if it takes an hour. My mind connects things with numbers, and I have multiples of eleven or the number associations to people. I have to touch certain things eleven times, flip switches eleven times, press buttons eleven times, and walk and breathe in sets of eleven. I also wash my hands a lot. I am so relived that I am not the only one going through this sort of thing, I understand. Good luck!
Be wary, as they control us all.
SmallBlueChain
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Wed Apr 16, 2014 12:44 pm
Blog: View Blog (5)

Next

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post