Our partner

OCD - My Obsessions with Numbers and Other Fears

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, catnaps

Re: OCD - My Obsessions with Numbers and Other Fears

Postby Marilee » Tue Jul 12, 2011 12:35 am

Wow. I can relate to that. I do the thing with the clock too. Except I hate the number 11. Because it has the letter v in it.
Well, good luck to you too :)
Marilee
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby kenny66 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:00 am

I have been obsessed with the number 6 for ever. I do and buy everything in 6. I count lines of dialoque in 6-wash my hands 6 times etc etc. When the counting gets super obsessional it is a trigger for a manic episode. My Therapist told me to stop doing it with willpower but its not a choice for me and I recently flipped into a manic phase following obsessional counting. My meds initially made it worse. I am not sure what I think about the numbers obsession. I have been doing it so long I keep doing it even though it irritates me. I am not hopeful my meds will help it but I will try whatever to control it.

Kenny66
DX: Schizoaffective Disorder Bipolar Type-OCD-PTSD
Seroquel-Saphris-Lamotrigine-Lithium
kenny66
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:59 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby katehe » Fri Jul 15, 2011 5:46 pm

I had a huge problem with OCD when I was a teenager, I gradually grew out of it, yet I still have traits that are somewhat etched into my personality still. Mostly number obsessions and colour significance.

The number 6 was what I would describe as my 'safe' number and I would obsess over its presence and do my rituals in patterns of 6, always.
This is because there are 6 people in my family, and I felt I needed to do my rituals with this number in order to protect them, in my mind.

Now it is the number 9 ( surprisingly for me, an odd number, which used to be an absolute no and would be interpreted as some kind of 'cursed' number.)

I began to think, what if a member of my family (my sister/brother) has a child?
I added 3 to my 'safe' 6 to account for any extra future family members just incase.
I feel very settled and comforted when I now see this number.
katehe
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby kenny66 » Sat Jul 16, 2011 8:19 am

katehe wrote:I had a huge problem with OCD when I was a teenager, I gradually grew out of it, yet I still have traits that are somewhat etched into my personality still. Mostly number obsessions and colour significance.

The number 6 was what I would describe as my 'safe' number and I would obsess over its presence and do my rituals in patterns of 6, always.
This is because there are 6 people in my family, and I felt I needed to do my rituals with this number in order to protect them, in my mind.

Now it is the number 9 ( surprisingly for me, an odd number, which used to be an absolute no and would be interpreted as some kind of 'cursed' number.)

I began to think, what if a member of my family (my sister/brother) has a child?
I added 3 to my 'safe' 6 to account for any extra future family members just incase.
I feel very settled and comforted when I now see this number.

I dont know why I settled on the number 6-my therapist thinks it has a meaning from my childhood but i am not convinced. Its a safe number for me as well. I have 6 cats and bought a house with 6 rooms but could not find a house with 6 in the street number address so I settled on 39 which gets 6 when I take 3 from 9. It makes sense to me!!!! (9 was a "cursed" number for me as well but its ok when preceded or followed by a 3). I also count floor tiles and steps in 6.If I can fit everything in combinations of 6 I am fine.

Kenny66
DX: Schizoaffective Disorder Bipolar Type-OCD-PTSD
Seroquel-Saphris-Lamotrigine-Lithium
kenny66
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 5:59 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Marilee » Sat Jul 16, 2011 5:08 pm

I do everything 5 times cause I have 5 people in my family. Each finger on a hand represents them, with me being the baby finger. I used to brush my teeth 5 times but I stopped that finally. Right now its just the counting, tapping and the thoughts.
Marilee
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:59 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

Previous

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post