Our partner

music playing in my head non-stop

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

music playing in my head non-stop

Postby joejoe » Thu Jun 02, 2005 10:50 pm

Is this a symptom of ocd and can anyone relate to this? Music plays in my head all the time and I'm going to go nuts if it doesn't soon stop. Every day for the last five years.
joejoe

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby element » Thu Jun 02, 2005 11:10 pm

I read that it's normal to have music play in your head over and over. I'm not sure if that much is normal, especially considering that it's bothering you a lot. I have the same "problem" at times. It's really only a problem for me when I dislike the song (or am sick of it) or when I keep singing it in public.

~element
element
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:13 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Guest » Wed Aug 31, 2005 8:13 am

I know that when I increase the dosage of the SSRIs I'm taking (Lovan/Prozac) I hear the music less and less, although a little bit of music stuck in your head is normal.

Postby Entangled » Sun Sep 04, 2005 6:39 am

IF those meds help..then, it could definitely be OCD...though I usually put my haedphones and blast them loud for that!

Constantly having music in your head...OCD has anxiety related to it.

IF you do ot hear music..do you get anxious?

If so... then... you are listening to music you know in your head to relieve an anxiety.

What if you listened to the same tunes on headphones? Does anxiety go down and you feel relaxed?

Then, the tunes inyourhead are relaxing you!

When I wake up from a sound sleep..I have the oddist tunes in my head! Things I have in my record colection, but haven't heard in a while.
This man was sexually assaulted (rape) and has OCD...yikes!

"It literally turned my life around!"

He worked in a Pyschiatric Hospital as a Nursing's Aid for 5 years.

He was also a patient on a few occasions for suicide, too.
Entangled
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:13 am
Blog: View Blog (8)

Postby guest » Fri Sep 09, 2005 3:49 am

when i used to play volleyball, and serve in front of the kids watching at my old school, i would repeate part of a song over and over in my head as if to tune them all out. it really helped. i would also do that if i had to go up in front of class. i donno if that relates to what you were saying or not.

Postby Entangled » Sun Sep 11, 2005 10:07 pm

guest wrote:when i used to play volleyball, and serve in front of the kids watching at my old school, i would repeate part of a song over and over in my head as if to tune them all out. it really helped. i would also do that if i had to go up in front of class. i donno if that relates to what you were saying or not.

Perectly! A song you have is like a buffer and you feel better.

Your right on track!

Adive..well..right now..I'm just replying to everyone.

We all can come bakc to this situation.

Your not alone..and we stick up for each other..at, least I do?
This man was sexually assaulted (rape) and has OCD...yikes!

"It literally turned my life around!"

He worked in a Pyschiatric Hospital as a Nursing's Aid for 5 years.

He was also a patient on a few occasions for suicide, too.
Entangled
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 6:13 am
Blog: View Blog (8)

Re: music playing in my head non-stop

Postby mereni796 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 6:30 pm

I'm responding to this old post to see if anyone is experiencing this currently. This has been my biggest symptom recently and it drives me crazy! I hear songs in my head all the time, but I don't choose them and I do not want to be hearing them. They could be songs I heard on the radio, or songs I sang as a child at school, or even just words or sentences that I have heard spoken. They sound like "white noise" (no content or worrying involved with them), but not in a good way! Medication helps somewhat, but this symptom seems to be sticking around.....
Anyone else out there?
mereni796
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Postby Supersaneman » Sun Sep 09, 2012 7:17 pm

I wasn't aware hallucinations were part of OCD...Do you guys mean hearing it like when thinking about it or actually hearing it?

Sometimes when I'm very relaxed and in bed (f ex a little drunk), I get the ability to create new music in my head spontaneously and hear it. Not quite as real as it could be though. Never repetitive or annoying. I don't think it's pathological.
Supersaneman
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 1:13 pm

Postby dan_ » Mon Sep 10, 2012 12:28 am

I had this problem so much like a year ago. It is a pain in the ass! Pretty much 3/4ths of my senior year in high school. After a while it just went away, or I grew so immune to it that I can just tune it out when I have to focus on other things, or just ignore it as much as you can. Make sure you're getting enough sleep, because I think this was a contributing factor when I had it (a lack of sleep). So if there is one concrete and easy thing you can do, it's to just get enough sleep so you're not tired, plus, it will help in other aspects of your life too.
dan_
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby mereni796 » Mon Sep 10, 2012 1:24 am

@ Supersaneman- it's not that i ACTUALLY hear it as though it were happening. I can tell when it's inside my head or outside, but it's kind of like having a song stuck in your head non-stop. It's hard to concentrate, really interferes.
@Dan, yea, it's really annoying. For some reason it's such a bothersome symptom lately. It is DEFINITELY worse if I don't get enough sleep or don't take the time to eat well. I'm hoping some new medicine I'm on will kick in more & start addressing that symptom soon......
thanks, guys.
mereni796
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Next

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post