Our partner

Numbers Obsession

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Otter, Torrent

Numbers Obsession

Postby Davewv » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:37 am

Hello, I'm new to this site and would like to ask a question about number oriented OCD. Does anyone else get obsessed with certain numbers? I have for years now been obsessed with about 4 or 5 numbers. I see them everywhere, particularly on clocks. I will look up for no apparent reason and see these numbers. The worst of the bunch is 13 followed by 26 and 46. To a lesser extent also the number 66. On some days I will see 13 every hour, for example; 1:13, 2:13 etc. I will even sometimes think I have escaped 13 and look up to see 15 only to, say look at my computer screen, TV or something else and see a 13. When I was younger I was certain this was some sort of divine signal but I now know fairly certain that it is OCD. Does anyone else feel almost persued by a number seeing it an unreasonable ammount of times?
Thanks,
Dave
Davewv
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 5:57 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Numbers Obsession

Postby jasmin » Sat Mar 12, 2011 8:25 pm

Hi, Davewv! Did you ever feel like something bad would happen because of these numbers, somehow? That's what most of my OCD-like thoughts seemed/seem to revolve around.
forum-rules.php
I am sorry I am not on the forum as much as I used to be, if I do not reply to you quickly, please contact another moderator/supermod/admin as well.
jasmin
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:57 am

Postby Leta_Elz » Sun Apr 03, 2011 6:16 pm

Hi Dave,

I'm so glad you posted. I've been having the same type of obsession for the past 5 years or so. I am terrified of the number 4 and am always searching for the number 8. 48 is a good number because it ends with an 8, and i have this crazy notion (which i know is unfounded) that 84 is bad because it'll start off good (with an 8) and then it'll end terribly (4). Whatever good and terribly refer to depends on the current situation i'm in, for example if i'm thinking about relationships. I find myself constantly looking at the clock or around me (for example when a big rubber band lands on the ground and creates an 8) for these numbers. When I see the number 4, i feel a sense of dread and fear, when I see a number 8 am reassurred. This doesn't only apply to strictly these two numbers, if i look at the clock and it says for example 10:54, I feel scared and sad because i think the universe is trying to tell me that something bad is about to happen. It's gotten to the point where if I see 10:53 for example, it's bad because it's right before the number 4, but if I see 10:57 its good because it's closer to the number 8. I spend my days looking for these numbers, and my emotions are tormented because of them. I do feel sometimes that these numbers are out to get me. I'm really sick of fearing these numbers, and it seems that jasmin is pretty sure it's OCD, as well as you. Can I ask what type of treatments you have searched for? I've seen my therapist a few times, because apparently I am also borderline personality disorder. I don't know what to do, i feel like the number 4 and 8 have had detrimental effects on my potential romantic relationships. I see 8 as a good sign, saying that the relationship is going well, when I start seeing 4's more constantly, i start to freak out, and that plus my BPD has ruined so many potentially good relationships, mostly because i scare them off. I also obssses about crows and whether they fly from right to left or left to right. right to left is a good omen, left to right is a bad omen.

Is there anything else besides numbers that you watch out for?

Thanks again, and I hope that you reply. It would be really a comfort to speak with someone that knows both what I am going through and realizes that it's not a sign from the universe or whatever but that it's a problem that we need to get over.

Leta
Leta_Elz
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 2:57 am

Postby slither » Wed Apr 13, 2011 12:14 am

I'm obsessed with 4s and squares. I have to look at each corner from top left, go counter clockwise and end on the top right corner because it's considered all positive.

slither
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 3:57 am
Blog: View Blog (3)

Postby EyesOpen » Mon May 16, 2011 1:51 am

Hi Dave,

I'm also like that with the number 13... and I feel like I can't get away from that number. But, I know that it's probably just due to my being hyper aware of that number... but I do feel like I see 13 everywhere. I'm the same way with getting freaky when I see it on a clock... and I get even more freaked out if I wake up in the middle of the night and look at the clock and it says 2:13 or 3:13 or something like that. And, I've even literally waited to do something until the clock turns to 14... such as if I'm leaving work for the day and it says 5:13... I'll wait until the clock turns to 5:14 before leaving... or the other day I was on a business trip and I was in my hotel room... and the clock said 7:13 but I didn't want to leave my hotel room until the clock changed to 7:14... it's like I feel something bad will happen if I leave while it says 13.

I know it's part of my OCD... and rationally I know the number 13 won't hurt me... but I can't stop these thoughts and fears!
EyesOpen
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 6:57 am

Postby Darkdave1998 » Tue Dec 27, 2011 1:46 am

Hi! ....other Dave...
I have the same problem (well it hasn't become quite a problem yet!). When I was a kid I thought my lucky number was 8 (can't remember why) and screamed or whispered "eight!" when kicking a soccer ball while playing soccer (I know, odd) but forgot about it after days (hey what can ya do I was a kid!), however, this came back after watching Soul Eater, then after a while I became obsessed with the number 4, for no apparent reason, then decided to look it up on the web, and learned about "Tetraphobia" (actualy, this might have caused it! :twisted: wich worries me nonetheless ) but still didn't explained my obsession, and it's starting to become more relevant. I also was allways obsessed with symmetry (even before watching Soul Eater) and balance... like when I scratch (like when your itchy) the left side of my face, I immediatly have to scratch the other side in an even way or I'll wind up scratching both sides restlessly (is this correctly written?). That last one annoys me a lot!
Darkdave1998
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby kis » Sun Jan 01, 2012 7:43 pm

OMG. I had to go ahead and register myself here, just so I could tell you that you're not alone with this. Actually, I think what I'm really doing is confirming that I'm not the one who is alone!

That's my number. I won't even get in to how many times, and how many things I see this number on. Clocks (seems popular), extensions, license plates, and even the last three digits on my car's milage once. Once or twice I've tried to keep track of how many times I see it in a day. I'm not particularly bothered by this number, but I don't understand it, or why I'm so tuned in to it. I was actually born at 3:08am, which I once thought might be some kind of 'connection', but what could that possibly be? That clearly doesn't make sense. Often I'm almost comforted by seeing the number, as though it's something familiar (which I guess it is...). I even have photos of 348 on clocks and such, during a period when I felt I was seeing it even more.

OCD. Is that what this stems from?

Leta Elz, don't think seeing your "4" and "8" in a response didn't go unnoticed, either! :lol:
kis
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby lmartinks » Fri Jan 13, 2012 2:29 pm

Hey Dave, I just read your post and registered. I am the same as you regarding the number 13. I have began taking pictures of it everywhere I see it. Sometimes I'll just stop on the street somewhere, or wherever I am and look for it, and sometimes find it. I have some sort of connection to it, it's hard to define.
lmartinks
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby RavenReborn » Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:53 am

I have an obsession with numbers as well. I hate odd numbers and the number 6. I love even numbers, especially 4 and 8. I don't really understand it but I've learned to live with it or else I'd drive myself crazy. I also have an obsession with counting and symmetry to to point of purposely stubbing one toe to match the other. If I'm eating or drinking something the number of chews or swallows must land on an even number that is not 6.
RavenReborn
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:57 am

Postby diciannove » Tue Jan 24, 2012 8:30 am

Hi,
Just to paint you a picture, I found this forum while googling for people obsessed with the number 19. I'm 28 years old now and ever since I remember at least since I was 7-8 I was obsessed with this number. I'm not sure I'll say its a bad obsession, I'm proud of it and happy with it. I got a tatto with the number 19 a while back, just to kind of remind me what I am. So I guess you can call it an obsession. I define myself with this number. I thought about getting more tattoos, but the problem was that I only wanted 19s and I would eventually wanted to have 19 of them, and I don't like showing off my tattoos. I'm Bipolar, don't really have a clue whether or not it has something to do with this type of obsession. When I wake up in the morning I count to 19, 3 times before getting up of. I used to fly when posible on the 19th. Everybody that know a little about me knows of this.I'm wearing a t-shirt with number 19 right now as I write. It might sound like a joke but is not, I draw 19s all the time there are at least 10 posted in my room right now. And I'm always for something to happend to give some sort of meaning to this obsession with this particular number. I have a clock I drew the number 19 instead of the 12. I draw a compass and instead of north I have the number 19. I have tons of picture of this number in many different places. I had a band in high school that had the number 19 in the name. I've looked into numerology, etc but haven't really find the source of this obsession and probably never will, but I love it. I love the number, I bought an album by adele only because the name of the album was 19. I had no idea who she was at the moment. I also came across a saga I don't know if you can change this to a person, but I can't I don't want to, for me it would be like having to change names, its just who I am. I later developed some interest in the numbers 3,5 and 22. The first 2 I always saw them the #19, for example room #319, or #519 and 22 was just the sum of 19+3. I divided a circle in 19 pieces and that each angle was 18,947, practically 19(19^2=361). Any way Dave rest asure that there are more people with this type of obsession, and probably to even deeper levels than we can imagine. Please if everyone knows someone with an obsession or passion with the number 19, please let me know, it would be cool to share some stories!
diciannove
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post