Our partner

I can't stop picking my scabs

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

I can't stop picking my scabs

Postby MoonlightSonata » Tue Jun 23, 2009 8:01 am

Every time I have a scab I always pick it before it heals up. I do it without thinking and it leaves massive scars. I don't know why I do it.
MoonlightSonata
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Aug 23, 2014 7:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: I can't stop picking my scabs

Postby Chucky » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:12 pm

Well, you've postd in the OCD forum so don't you think that has something to do with it? I have OCD too and I bite my nails constantly and also mess around with scabs. Why are you only mentioning this 'scab' issue though? - What other things are happening in your life?
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MoonlightSonata » Wed Jun 24, 2009 7:08 am

Well how did you know I have more OCDs?
I have another one but I am not comfortable with sharing it yet. I will in time.
I'm wondering if there is a way that scab picking can be treated. I also am bothered about the scabs because I am in social events and just picking away without realizing, then I start bleeding. I feel it's really bad because everyone can see, and they point it out.
Today I have counted all the scabs I have from mutilating things on my body that I am convinced are spots at the time when they're not (another OCD) and I have seven on my chest and arms.
Do you think this is a subconscious action of self harm?
MoonlightSonata
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Chucky » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:35 pm

Hi,

I just made an educated guess that you had other OCDs, that's all, and I don't think it's a subconscious action of self-harm. Self-harm manifest itself differently. I view this as nothing more than a regular compulsion as associated with OCD. I bite my nails; you pick your scabs; others pull and twist their hair. They are just nasty habits, taken to the extreme in those with OCD. Have you ever gone to your doctor about it?
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby MoonlightSonata » Thu Jun 25, 2009 12:17 pm

Thanks for the reply Chucky.

It is getting me down because I am constantly hurting myself, when I walk against things the scabs on my arms feel sore and it's just not a good feeling knowing that I have caused it myself.
The doctors in my area aren't so good. I come from a small town and there isn't much available. These are the sorts of doctors that offer you Panadol if your leg falls off. I went to a doctor about it a while ago and I was told to just "Think of something else".

xx
MoonlightSonata
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Brumble » Tue Sep 01, 2009 2:32 am

I pick.. pick.. pick! at my scab's too MoonlightSonata & the tharapist just told me to keep my hand's busy :roll: it's something that i don't enjoy talking about because it just seems soo insignificant but it make's scar's that i don't think will ever leave my back or arm's, somehow luckyly my face hasent sustained meny visable scar's. If you clip your fingernail's it limit's how much you can pick but at the same time you will have even nastier scab's thank's to the non clean pull off, they study book's but experence is the only way someone could understand this stuff :? .
I Yam What I Yam Image
Brumble
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:48 pm
Blog: View Blog (6)

Postby Ladiekali » Sat Oct 10, 2009 5:28 am

I wanted to comment of this because I do it too. I pick and pick and have sores and scabs lasting for months. You might want to read up on border line personality disorder. It is a form of self mutilation. I have bpd. Good luck.

I'm doing much better with mine. I have just a couple sores on my face :( but i go a long time without picking. wash your hands alot, cut your nails. use bacitration creams. Pray? good luck :)
Ladiekali
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Chucky » Sat Oct 10, 2009 9:10 pm

Hi,

I cannot understand how I never replied to MoonlightSonata's previous post. Thanks for the other replies though - Jason and Ladiekali. BPD isn't all about cutting though - Ladiekali - and there is much more to it. I believe that cutting occurs alongside all kinds of disorders. It's like a 'token' problem that occurs irrespective of who you are or what main psychological disorder y ou have. In any case, please let me know how things are going for you now, MoonlightSonata.

Kevin.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Ladiekali » Mon Oct 12, 2009 4:17 am

I know what you mean about bpd being related to cutting. i was in denial of having bpd because i don't cut myself. never have.
I do pick my skin a lot! My therapist at the time, let me know that you don't have to cut your self to be bpd, that is just one of the signs to look for :). I know that picking can also be ocd.

any way, I hate feeling them on my face. I pick and pick.
what works good for me right now is loreal cell renewal face wash and serum. it causes my face to heal quicker. much quicker

also i bought 10% benzoyl peroxide cream called panaxel i think it is, when i touch or pick a scab, i use a tiny bit and go over my sores for a few seconds and rinse with water. use something like neosporin cream and good luck.

steer clear of sugars too. sugars cause your sores to take longer to heal. drink lots of water and really try not to pick, but when you do, stop, clean it find something to keep your hands busy, like word puzzles.
Ladiekali
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Chucky » Mon Oct 12, 2009 8:46 pm

Hey, that last thing you mentioned is interesting, regarding the sugars making it harder for the woumds to heal. What' the connection there, do you think? I have a theory about why it could be but I'm not sure obviously. Where did you hear about it?
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post