Our partner

HOCD spikes ebb and flow

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, Bert the Turtle

HOCD spikes ebb and flow

Postby mc1 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:18 am

Some days I feel like I have a handle on it and other days I don't. I still spike when I look up friends on Facebook and see they're attending Pride events. I also spike when I see nice looking guys although I'm slowly working to overcome it. I have to constantly remind myself that this is a mental issue and not a sexual orientation issue. However, sometimes I feel like I'm in denial and should come out. I've done it before, but I always end up right back here. I suppose if I were gay I would've known years ago, then again HOCD hit me at age 19. It's confusing as all get out, but I know no amount of reassurance will change anything.

We'll all keep fighting this together.
mc1
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:03 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: HOCD spikes ebb and flow

Postby WorriedG287 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 1:30 pm

Yeah, to be honest I experience 'spikes' even when I feel okay for the most part. Those spikes come in the form of attraction. So it's really hard for me think it's just OCD when I can be in a decent/calm mood and still feel attractions towards the woman I sit next to on the train or a female waitress, etc. If these attractions are not real why won't they just disappear then? Boggles my mind :?

My mind needs it to be black and white and have definitive answer, even though I know that I need to let go of that. It's a struggle, but I suppose I'm not alone (though it feels that way sometimes).
WorriedG287
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Aug 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Postby Cupcakes1568 » Mon Jun 19, 2017 4:41 pm

I completely agree. Getting triggered is so easy because your mind will attach itself to anything and twist it to the point where you can't even tell what's logical anymore. Some days I can tell I'm straight, other days I have no clue because of the constant doubt. I'll see images, scenarios, people I know in my head. It's all very hard when you can't trust your brain.
Cupcakes1568
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:03 am

Postby Gwendolyn » Fri Aug 11, 2017 5:01 pm

This is so true. Even when I got back to my normal self, almost I still had moments where the anxiety came back and the thoughts hit me but I was able to let go of it. This is why I don't know if this will ever go away, unless my mind finds something else to worry about which frankly I will be relieved for.

But I think what we have to remind ourselves that this is just anxiety because OCD is an anxiety disorder. So either way the best thing to think of Imo is that if this wasn't anxiety we wouldn't have moments of both chaos and calm. Because we experience moments of peace, and normality it is our anxiety that is playing with us and tricking us into thinking things that arent true. Because we experience calmness we should be able to tell ourselves its OCD/anxiety getting to us. I know its hard to do specially when the anxiety hits and logic goes out of the window but lets keep reminding ourselves of this.
Gwendolyn
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Sat Aug 19, 2017 5:03 am

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post