Our partner

Rumination on being selfish and compulsive punishment

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, catnaps

Rumination on being selfish and compulsive punishment

Postby kah80 » Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:16 pm

I'm wondering if this is OCD.

One of my close friends who I could tell everything to had a go at me a couple of weeks ago and accused me of having no manners as I didn't 'like' enough of his Facebook posts. I think he was being silly and eventually he forgot about it but it started me off thinking over and over in my head how selfish I am. Now he's in hospital and I almost fell apart at first because I didn't have him to talk to, I felt so selfish that I was thinking of myself when he was ill. Then another friend who was the only other one I could properly talk to had a terrible argument with her boyfriend and I had a day when I couldn't talk to either of them, I went mad at myself, kept thinking how selfish I was and punished myself by doing 125 press ups and 125 sit ups. I've been doing that a lot lately. I feel guilty and I punish myself. I feel guilty about fancying someone, or about eating cake, or about being selfish, and I make myself do 25 press ups and 25 sit ups. It has to be both and it has to be sets of 25. If I want to do more I'll do 50 of each, then 75 and so on. One day my fiancee caught me made me stop after 19 sit ups. Hours later when I woke up at 3am to go to the toilet I did the other 6 sit ups. Recently she said she wants me to tell her if I feel like doing them but I refused, the thought of it terrified me. I do them when she's not there. Sometimes I go to the toilets at work and do them there. Before that it was scratching my arm with scissors, then it was banging my head against the wall, now it's this.

Does this sound like an OCD compulsion do you think? And is spending hours thinking about how selfish I am anything to do with OCD?
kah80
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:43 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Rumination on being selfish and compulsive punishment

Postby mrme123 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 4:36 am

The problem that's happening here is not what your friend said regarding his posts, its why your taking and attaching such meaning to what he said, and even punishing yourself over it. I think you have low self esteem, and are obsessing over yourself being selfish, so your trying to remove the thoughts by punishing yourself, all that it will do is cause you pain. You need to first realize that this is the OCD making you obsessed over something not worth worrying about. And confront why you feel so selfish as you do now to punish yourself for it.
mrme123
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:43 am

Postby kah80 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 9:38 am

I definitely have low self esteem.

My main question was this OCD, sounds from your reply that you think it is. Maybe me starting so many different posts with 'is this OCD?' 'Is that OCD?' is a sign too.

Thank you.
kah80
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby mrme123 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 11:24 am

A person with OCD will tend to question everything so they can feel better after seeking reassurance, asking if certain things are OCD if you have trouble distrusting the difference, there are 3 ways to know:

1. Does this thought/obsession stick in your mind.
2. Does it make you anxious
3. Do you feel you must do something to neutralize the anxiety.
mrme123
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:43 am

Postby kah80 » Thu Dec 03, 2015 2:41 pm

Thank you, that makes sense.
kah80
Consumer 6
Consumer 6