Our partner

Fear of germs

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

Fear of germs

Postby jocdalone » Tue Jan 09, 2007 10:14 am

Hi there,
can anyone help. I have been diagonsed with OCD and major depression. My OCD started when I was a little kid (counting everything) but have gone wild 10 years ago. Now it is focused on washing hands and other activities realted to fear of germs . The point is I refuse to take any drugs because I am trying to beastfeed my 7 months old baby twins. I need help to commit to behavioral and nutritinal therapy. There is no specialized therapists in the area I am living. Does anyone know how to do it on my own. Please help as this is affecting my babies and my husband dramatically.
jocdalone
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Sep 18, 2014 7:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Tue Jan 09, 2007 11:34 pm

Hey,

If you are going to do it alone then the best advice I can offer you is to slow your life down as much as you can. NEVER rush into a task. Rather, glide into it and complete it in a slow, relaxing fashion. After all, you have all the time in the world.

Finally, if the thought of a germ enters your head then move-quickly away from that thought and proceed with therest of your day.

Kevin.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby hsp » Sat Mar 31, 2007 10:16 pm

Hi there friend!

I know what you mean about the germ thing. I am totally germaphobic myself! Yuck!
Last edited by hsp on Fri Apr 13, 2007 9:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hsp
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:40 am

Postby musicandscience » Mon Apr 02, 2007 9:13 am

Hey,

I don't have the germs OCD so I can't really relate to that. Overcoming it, especially with young twins (congratulations by the way!), is not going to be an easy task, but remember you don't have to go it alone! You've got your husband, and if he truly loves you (which I don't doubt) I think he'll stick by you and help you cope.

Good luck!
musicandscience
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:40 pm

Re: Fear of germs

Postby Roxy0 » Thu May 17, 2007 7:19 pm

[quote="jocdalone"]Hi there,
can anyone help. I have been diagonsed with OCD and major depression. My OCD started when I was a little kid (counting everything) but have gone wild 10 years ago. Now it is focused on washing hands and other activities realted to fear of germs . The point is I refuse to take any drugs because I am trying to beastfeed my 7 months old baby twins. I need help to commit to behavioral and nutritinal therapy. There is no specialized therapists in the area I am living. Does anyone know how to do it on my own. Please help as this is affecting my babies and my husband dramatically.[/quote]

I am 13 and was diagnosed with OCD when i was 5.My twin sister and i have had trouble with handwashing.The rituals change from time to time.So yours might change.Try to distract yourself or do something that you love to do when symptoms occur.Never give up!
Roxy0
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby ash33 » Thu May 17, 2007 8:58 pm

i find it somewhat helpful to continually tell myself that the germs or other bacteria will not hurt me, and they will simply remain on my skin doing absolutely nothing, until i go to wash myself later- and then they will be gone. skin is a much better barier to bacteria and other things than you might imagine. even some contagious bacteria or viruses can not get through skin, (only through your eyes,mouth,nose,etc) so just keep telling yourself it will be fine, and then move on to other thoughts.
ash33
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:40 am

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post