Our partner

Beating Hocd?

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, catnaps

Beating Hocd?

Postby snowbud » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:13 am

Hey everyone, so for a couple weeks now I have really been doing well fighting against my hocd. I began accepting the thoughts and I even tell myself (and believe) that its okay to be gay. I found this to be stressful but also really helpful. I don't really have my attraction back but I am starting to fantasize about guys again. Most of the time I don't notice/realize I'm doing it but whenever I do I get an instant rush of anxiety and my mind starts telling me that I'm doing it on purpose to hid my true feelings. When this happens I usually just agree with the thoughts and wait until the anxiety goes away which in some cases has proven to be really difficult. Anyway the reason I'm writing this is because I want to know if there is any way to speed up the process? As I write this my mind is telling me that I'm not recovering and that I'm just in denial and this has definitely been a common occurrence. It seems like now even though I don't have the thoughts as much the anxiety is still persisting. I still have groinal responses too. So like I said earlier am I doing anything wrong or does recovery just take awhile?
snowbud
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:26 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Beating Hocd?

Postby impromptu » Thu Nov 20, 2014 1:56 pm

you're on the right path IMO. you began accepting the thoughts, but yeah getting recovered takes time. and ocd is indeed a constant battle. i can confirm from my experience although i've been doing better to some extent, anxiety will still be there. it's the root cause of ocd afterall.. and like you, my mind is telling me that i'm in denial. lol..

sadly i don't think there's a way to speed up the process.. i'm not sure though.

one step at a time,
you'll get there. :)
fminorless life is a living death
impromptu
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:26 pm

Re: Beating Hocd?

Postby betterdays1989 » Fri Nov 21, 2014 4:50 am

Hey Snowbud!

It's great to see that you're progressing with your OCD! :)

snowbud wrote:I want to know if there is any way to speed up the process?

In regards to your post, It's unfortunate that even though we with OCD want to get back to the way things were as soon as possible, it isn't easy as OCD is chronic. I agree with what Torrent said. OCD will take time to alleviate.

snowbud wrote:I do I get an instant rush of anxiety and my mind starts telling me that I'm doing it on purpose to hid my true feelings. When this happens I usually just agree with the thoughts and wait until the anxiety goes away which in some cases has proven to be really difficult.

Agreeing with the thoughts is just one part of the process. It works however you may want to approach this with other methods. Don't just agree with the thoughts, exaggerate on them! For example, if you have a thought that screams "I am gay and in denial", you would want to do something like "Oh yeah! I'm so gay I could have an orgy with a room full of women! and I bet it would be fun!" This may seem scary, but remember that thoughts are basically a string of hollow words that are instantly given a meaning by a functioning brain. Another way is to do something else. When you agree with a negative thought, find something else to do to distract yourself. Do something fun! Painting, running, drawing.. anything!

You're doing great! Just keep at it and be strong!
betterdays1989
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 12:26 pm

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post