Our partner

HOCD Confusion

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, catnaps

HOCD Confusion

Postby snowbud » Thu Jul 17, 2014 7:56 pm

Hi everyone! Okay so I'm new to this forum and also knew to this awful little monster known as HOCD. I've been dealing with what I think (and hope) is HOCD for about 5 months now and it's killing me! It all started when I was watching an episode of Orange Is The New Black and randomly thought about what it would be like to have a girlfriend. The minute that thought ran through my brain BOOM! instant regret and anxiety. I started freaking out and from there on constantly started obsessing over the possibility that I was gay (I'm saying "was" instead of "am" because using "am" in replace of "was" freaks me out). Pretty soon after that incident I started a pattern of horrible compulsions. I would and still continue to stare at random women in public and ask myself "Do I think she's pretty?" "Do I like her?" "Would I kiss/have sex with her?" this usually (like all my other compulsions) does more harm than good.

I imagine myself in gay and straight relationships and will force myself to do so until I feel the "right" way. I do a lot of checking into my past to see if there are any signs that would point to me being gay. I also worry about whether other people think I'm gay and because of that have started to try to act/dress more girly. For example, and this may be TMI, but I've never really had big boobs and I worry all the time whether people think I bind them or not. I have also become WAY more introverted.

I hate going out places now in fear that I'll see some really attractive girl and like her, I even rarely ever hug my friends anymore because it makes me uncomfortable. A couple weeks ago one of them told me she loved me in a friendship/sisterly kind way after I helped her out of tough situation and after that I got extremely anxious. I also get groinal responses now which make things 10 times more horrible. They've gotten so bad that now it's starting to get difficult to tell whether or not it's my brain playing tricks on me or genuine arousal. I also second guess myself quite a bit. I one time took a gay/straight/bi test on facebook and got straight but afterwards I wondered if my answers were really how I felt or just what I put down to get the straight answer.

On the romantic/sexual side of things I've never really had a boyfriend and I haven't even been kissed yet. It's not that I don't want to, It's just I'm naturally pretty shy and never have the confidence to talk to any of my crushes and I worry that when I do get a boyfriend or have my first kiss I won't feel anything and then that'll prove that I'm a lesbian. I also seem to be attracted to older men, like if there were an attractive 25 year old and an attractive 16 year old (which is how old I am) I would most likely go for the 25 year old. Writing this makes me realize how out of place my reaction to the whole thing really was. I had never worried or even thought about being a lesbian up until that point and quite frankly I really wish I could go back.

I don't have a problem with gay people, in fact I love gay people and am all for gay rights, it's just that I don't want to be gay because I feel like if I am I'll never be truly happy. Anyway thank you for reading this!!! I've never talked to anyone about this problem before in fear that they'll jump to conclusions so any advice you can give me will be extremely helpful.
Thanks again,
snowbud :)

P.S.

It's also worth mentioning that I have had obsessive tendencies in the past. For example when I was little (and sometimes even now) I was constantly worried about illness. I would get extremely scared that I had some disease and was going to die. I one time thought I had West Nile and had to research it to make sure I didn't have any of the symptoms, and get reassurance from my parents who ultimately took me to the doctor's just to get me to calm down. I play with my eyelashes when I get nervous and when I try not to do it feel even more anxious. I'm also a perfectionist, I don't know if that has anything to do with OCD but I've always had to have things just right.
snowbud
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:02 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: HOCD Confusion

Postby Milan » Thu Jul 17, 2014 10:54 pm

I have had OCD for decades. I've noticed that whatever is taboo, I fear in myself, needlessly.

Taking Anafranil now and like it. SSRI's didn't elevate my mood.
Milan
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 5:02 am

Postby bendib » Fri Jul 18, 2014 3:02 am

That sounds exactly like HOCD. You aren't gay or you would not have HOCD. Gay people like being gay and they don't feel empty for being gay, they feel empty for being straight. Here is a thread that might help you. obsessive-compulsive/topic144066.html
bendib
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:02 am

Postby Anna24 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 9:30 am

*TW* This sounds exactly like what was happening to me this time last year. I finally managed to get rid of these thoughts however but unfortunately just as I was beginning to feel happy again I started getting even worse thoughts, I started thinking "what if I'm transgender?" These new thoughts have been torturing me for a few months now. I'm so depressed I hope it's just OCD !!! :(
Anna24
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:02 am

Postby snowbud » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:32 am

Thank you all for your support!
Bendib thank you for the insight and also the link both were very helpful!
Anna24 I'm sorry to hear that your still struggling with this demon but it's nice to know that i'm not alone. :mrgreen:
Thanks-
snowbud
snowbud
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:02 am

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post