Our partner

Touching Things and Changing Clothes?

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Otter

Touching Things and Changing Clothes?

Postby bballjoe12 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 3:45 am

Although never formally diagnosed, I believe I have had OCD my whole life. As far as I can remember, if I touch certain things, I have to wash my hands instantly. If I don't, I can't touch anything until I have washed my hands. There are also a ton of other things I can't do. If something touches my clothes that I feel is "dirty," I have to instantly change my clothes. When washing my hands, even if a splash of water gets on my clothes anywhere, I have to change them. If people ask me to sit on the floor, I could never do that. If I did, I'd have to go and take a shower instantly. If somebody has been eating some type of finger food and then proceed to put their hands on me, I have to change my clothes. For some odd reason, I thought it'd be a good idea for my wife and I to get a cat. Unfortuatenly, that was the worst decision ever, lol. My OCD kicks in when the cat is on the furniture or anything that I would have to touch. Instantly, I think, I can't touch it until it has been washed or cleaned. If my wife touches the cat, then touches me, I have to change my clothes. I've often changed probably 5 times a day just because it was a "bad day." At times this is so exhausting. There are so many things I can't touch it's debilitating at times.

I was just wondering if anyone suffers from the same symptoms or struggles with the same things. If so, what have you done to help? It's gotten to the point where daily life is very hard to deal with.

Thanks!
bballjoe12
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:15 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Touching Things and Changing Clothes?

Postby Yorkshirelass » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:52 am

I used to have OCD and did the changing clothes thing, I would have to get dressed and undressed at least 3 times before it felt right. it is exhausting.
Maybe you should go and talk to you doctor there are medications that can help.
Yorkshirelass
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby bballjoe12 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:11 pm

Did your doctor get you medicine for it?

Most of it isn't even it feeling right. It's the fact that even if I just change clothes and I touch something or somehow something touches me that I feel is "dirty," I have to change clothes. I could walk out of the closet and accidentally touch a piece if clothing that is hanging somewhere and then I would have to change. It all sounds silly but it's very overwhelming! Lol
bballjoe12
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Samantha_E » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:32 pm

I am not sure if I have OCD, but I have similar. To me, the things my parents touch are dirty, and anything that animal products touch is dirty. To help, we have big, thick oven gloves (with fingers, not just a mitt), one in the kitchen and one in the living room, so I can use things like the kettle, light switch and door handle.

As for clothes, mine is not as serious as yours but for example I have to walk past my dad's sweaty gym shorts and towel to get to my clean clothes. So if something falls on them, it has to be washed, along with anything else that the dirty item touched. (Oh my gosh, the frustration when a friend visited and moved the gym shorts onto the pile of my clean clothes!)

So as for solutions... Oven gloves and antibacterial soap is all I have found. I hope that can help in some way.

Just a thought, may be silly, but might there be some sort of spray that is meant to clean, that you could spray on the dirty part of your clothes to save having to change them?
Don't say I'm out of touch,
With this rampant chaos your reality.
I know well what lies beyond my sleeping refuge,
The nightmare I built my own world to escape.
Samantha_E
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby bballjoe12 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 4:41 pm

Hahaha, I know exactly what you mean about the dirty clothes being put on the clean clothes! I used antibacterial wipes to clean surfaces
That I feel need to be cleaned
But the spraying stuff on my clothes
Just makes my urge to change my clothes
More intense (it makes me feel even more uncomfortable). It's hard
For other people to understand when they come over!
bballjoe12
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Yorkshirelass » Tue Nov 05, 2013 8:36 pm

bballjoe12
Did your doctor get you medicine for it?

Yes a SSRI paroxetine, I found it helped a lot.
Yorkshirelass
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby bballjoe12 » Tue Nov 05, 2013 10:34 pm

I've been taking Lexapro for my anxiety which I'm sure is caused by this OCD behavior. I believe Lexapro is a SSRI also. Maybe I should go talk to a doctor about it. Did you go to a doctor a psychiatrist?
bballjoe12
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby ocd44 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 2:42 am

I've suffered from similar symptoms
I used to avoid stepping on white powder in the streets because I believed it was cocaine and it would penetrate through my shoe and somehow (without proper education and being young) believe it enter my bloodstream and I would become addicted to drugs.

I have 4 pairs of my pants in my room: one for wearing in my computer chair, some to wear to bed, some to exclusively use the toilet for and another pair for sitting in the lougeroom. It's extreme I know... I'm not on medication but I'm feeling a lot better since not taking it.

I'm just trying to reach out and say I have similar patterns and I know how it feels. I wear certain pairs of jeans out in public because I believe they're contimated.
ocd44
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby bballjoe12 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 3:31 am

Yeah, it's exhausting at times. What were to happen if you were to wear the certain pants not when you usually do? Or just the thought of that is too overwhelming?
bballjoe12
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby ocd44 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:59 am

I get really uncomfortable and feel the need to change my pants urgently.
If I can't I'll end up wiping my chair down with tissues and water. The thought isn't extremely exhausting, it's just uncomfortable at the moment. It's something I just ''don't do''. If it was to happen I would do the above, wipe it down.
ocd44
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Next

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post