Our partner

What is this type of OCD I have and how do I fix it?

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Snaga, catnaps

What is this type of OCD I have and how do I fix it?

Postby velcroshorts » Mon Dec 10, 2012 10:26 pm

First post for me.

I was recently diagnosed with OCD and ADD. I had suspected the ADD but not the OCD until recently.
Being OCD, I do a lot of reading up on subjects that pertain to me, in this case, OCD.
Right now I'm reading OCD For Dummies. While I continue learning more about OCD, I still haven't come across a description of what I have. The closest I've found is Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder.
Anyways, I get a lot of obsessive thoughts, but the ones that make me the most uncomfortable are these:
I obsess about who my gf has been with before me. I get these thoughts and get anxious as hell and its very unsettling. It's like I can't accept her having been with anyone else before me, and when I come across a guy she knows, I start suspecting.
Anyone recognize this? I'll give more details if need be.
The things is I'm not the least bit concerned about whats happening right now; I don't get insecure around other guys and I'm not the jealous type.
I would appreciate any help I can get:)
velcroshorts
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:47 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What is this type of OCD I have and how do I fix it?

Postby PinchOfSanity » Tue Dec 11, 2012 12:00 pm

Yeah, that's called OCD or simply jealousy.
So, where is your head at after all?
PinchOfSanity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:47 am

Postby velcroshorts » Tue Dec 11, 2012 4:25 pm

PinchOfSanity wrote:Yeah, that's called OCD or simply jealousy.

wow superhelpful. anyway, you are wrong.
velcroshorts
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby EclecticJoe » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:21 pm

velcroshorts wrote:First post for me.

I was recently diagnosed with OCD and ADD. I had suspected the ADD but not the OCD until recently.
Being OCD, I do a lot of reading up on subjects that pertain to me, in this case, OCD.
Right now I'm reading OCD For Dummies. While I continue learning more about OCD, I still haven't come across a description of what I have. The closest I've found is Obsessive Compulsive Personality Disorder.
Anyways, I get a lot of obsessive thoughts, but the ones that make me the most uncomfortable are these:
I obsess about who my gf has been with before me. I get these thoughts and get anxious as hell and its very unsettling. It's like I can't accept her having been with anyone else before me, and when I come across a guy she knows, I start suspecting.
The things is I'm not the least bit concerned about whats happening right now; I don't get insecure around other guys and I'm not the jealous type.

How much do you think about this? Does it affect your ability to function or your relationship?
EclecticJoe
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 10:47 am
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby velcroshorts » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:50 am

EclecticJoe wrote:
velcroshorts wrote:First post for me.

How much do you think about this? Does it affect your ability to function or your relationship?

I think about it daily, several times a day. It affects me in the sense that it limits my love for my gf. I know I could love her more especially the type of person she is, but this hinders me. it affects our relationship in that every once a while I bring it up and it leads to arguing and her getting her feelings hurt.
velcroshorts
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby afraidofdiseases » Wed Dec 12, 2012 8:25 am

You don't have obsessive compulsive personality disorder (OPCD) based on your description. This would manifest completely different, though people with OPCD also can have (and often do have) OCD, OPCD itself will make you have lots of weird interests that do not cause any anxiety, they are just strange to almost everyone else. Hoarding is an example, you find interest and pleasure in collecting all sorts of trash that most other people find uninteresting or even disgusting. I have a touch of OPCD, and I'm often going very in depth in knowledge I have no reason for knowing. For example, I could learn more about heart diseases than my doctor. This is somewhat fear driven (through OCD) but also related to my personality. I assume you don't derive any pleasure from your thoughts.

The line between "OCD" and "normal" is fairly blurry. We all have obsessive and unwanted thoughts, but a diagnosis of OCD is made if they are debilitating or causing a lot of discomfort. The same goes for a lot of other mental disorders, like anxiety in general, depression, mania, and so on. We can all feel anxious, depressed/sad/"never mind" or happy/agitated without having a diagnosis.

You can't compare your thoughts to others. Anything you can think about, you can obsess about. What matters is the discomfort you are feeling. If you are getting anxious and stressed, maybe you have an anxiety disorder, not necessarily OCD, but it's something you should get treated if it is affecting your relationship negatively. If you are feeling very paranoid in general (which it doesn't seem like you do, but if you do) that's treatable too.

Hope this helps.
afraidofdiseases
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:47 pm

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post