Our partner

ocd dreams

Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: Otter, Torrent

ocd dreams

Postby nadine » Sat Mar 04, 2006 10:56 am

I was wondering if there is such a thing as a dream that can give you away as having ocd.
There is this recurring dream I have been having for years. it starts out very simple where I'm in my home and I'm getting ready to go out. Usually there are family members or friends outside waiting. As I grab my purse or my jacket I suddenly change my mind and change my clothes, then i start putting things out of my purse and into another one. This is still banal however the dream just keeps going in this manner. I cannot get ready because I constantly keep changing my clothes...checking to see if everything is in my purse... take the things out of my purse and put them in my pocket...back into the purse...just when I am about to leave there is usually something holding me back, like I suddenly have to fold the laundry...and so on. In this dream it feels like everything takes so long, like I'm rushing yet time flies by. sometimes there are bizarre elements, like the pants i want to wear are studded with thumbtacks and I need to take them out (why can't I just wear a different pair?), which slows me down even further. In my dream it feels like real life because it takes place in my everyday environment and deals with such mundane things. Hehe.. the funny thing is, the people waiting for me do keep on waiting, amazingly, while I am rummaging inside the house. Like anyone would have that much patience in real life!

Hope anyone has the patience reading this. What are your thoughts?
nadine
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:10 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Tue Mar 21, 2006 9:55 pm

Hey,

I do not think that a recurring dream could be the mark of a person having OCD. I mean, recurring dreams occur to people who are not OCD too. There are more logical explanations, I feel.

The dream that you described is probably due to the thoughts in your mind just before you go to sleep - Perhaps you are thinking/worrying about your OCD. Therefore, as you fall asleep, OCD would be on your immediate thoughts and subsequently more likely to appear in a dream.

The fact that the dream recurs is probably due to the fact that:

1) You have clear memory of the dream in your head and it is easily remember.
2) You repeat the same actions each night just before bedtime. Therefore, the events that lead to having the dream in the first place are repeated and thus, the dream is likely to happen again.

.... :?
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby BlackSheep » Wed Mar 22, 2006 3:54 pm

Dreaming about OCD doesn't mean you have it. It's when you wake up and the nightmare doesn't stop that you know you have it!
BlackSheep
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Guest » Wed Mar 22, 2006 6:39 pm

yes, if you truly have a mental illmess, there is no mistaking it, it is much more pervasive and insidious than to only affect you in your dreams

Postby Chucky » Wed Mar 22, 2006 7:27 pm

BlackSheep wrote:Dreaming about OCD doesn't mean you have it. It's when you wake up and the nightmare doesn't stop that you know you have it!

I don't know if you meant that as a humerous remark but I certainly took it that way! :)
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby BlackSheep » Wed Mar 22, 2006 8:52 pm

Chucky wrote:
BlackSheep wrote:Dreaming about OCD doesn't mean you have it. It's when you wake up and the nightmare doesn't stop that you know you have it!

I don't know if you meant that as a humerous remark but I certainly took it that way! :)

Yep I meant it in a humerous way. I only wish it was as easy as just dreams :wink:
BlackSheep
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby nadine » Thu Mar 23, 2006 4:05 am

well thanks everyone for their replies.

I know that a lot of people have recurring dreams, I thought mine was unusual because not only is the dream recurring but the actions in the dream are repetitive, but I realize that having such a dream does not automatically conclude as having ocd.
However, I'm interested whether someone who has ocd, has dreams where he/she does things that are typical of ocd, like repetitive actions.

Blacksheep, yes, when i wake up I am relieved it was only a dream, because this dream is agony and makes me feel lousy.
In real life I can function ok. when i am not overly anxious, as long as I win over my anxious thoughts I'm ok.

"The dream that you described is probably due to the thoughts in your mind just before you go to sleep"
Chucky, you have a point there. next time i have the dream I shall try to make more of an effort to look at the causes. Apparently, recurring dreams do have a significance (unresolved issues etc). At least, this is what dream dictionaries say....
nadine
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Chucky » Thu Mar 23, 2006 7:56 pm

I don't believe in the Dream Dictionary stuff for a very good reason: If you begin exploring your dreams too much then they might eventually begin hurting you. For example, you have a dream one night and are upset because of it. Therefore, as you lie in bed the next night the upsetting dream is on your mind and you might dream that dream again. The cycle can be continuous.

It's best to appreciate the concept of a dream for they show the geat power of our subconscious (But they cannot hurt us).
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby BlackSheep » Thu Mar 23, 2006 8:20 pm

Yeah, dream interpretation is fun but don't get too obsessed (hah!) by it. I've looked into it before and every dream interpretation guide tells you something different, every one has a different theory on what dreams signify.

I think it varies personally. I've had dreams about stuff that's happened during the day, dreams that have had clear meaning (some really quite profound messages about my life/attitude), some which have accurately predicted stuff that's gonna happen the next day, dreams that have revealed the whereabouts of lost items I'd been searching for that day, dreams that have been a load of random things with no meaning.... They are very much influenced by my mood and how tired or worried I am.
BlackSheep
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby nadine » Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:23 pm

yeah, i don't really believe 100% in what the dictionaries say, I think what a dream means to someone is very personal and certain symbols might mean something different to someone else, although I do think we all have a set of common symbols that mean about the same things to all of us.
I usually look at dictionaries to get jumpstarted on ideas on what the dream could say. Most of the times dreams are randomness but i find it interesting that humans need to make sense out of it.

The reason why some people get really absorbed into dreams is because sometimes dreams are really powerful, i mean it can really feel like you have visited a different world, its kind of like escapism.

But no one has answered my question yet. Do people with ocd have dreams where like in real life there is a "theme" of repetiton or cycle? Just curious...
nadine
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Next

Return to Obsessive Compulsive Disorder (OCD) Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post