Our partner

OCPD and being a 'bad' person

Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

OCPD and being a 'bad' person

Postby Barracuda » Mon Apr 09, 2012 12:14 pm

Heya, I usually write stuff on the AsPD forum, but I might wanna spend time on this forum too.

Anyways, my question is: Do you think that by general standards, you're a good person, or just a good person in your own delusions? Are you truly empathetic and caring, under your mask of rigidity?

The reason I'm asking, is because based on the stuff I've read online, OCPD's seem to be forever seeking for their parents unconditional love or something, and trying their best to please them by being a good person. I also read that OCPD people care about their family and friends, but struggle to show it.

I most definitely have an OCPD, it's so obvious that I feel like I have been stripped off my uniqueness. However, I feel like I can often relate to psychopaths/people with an AsPD, and most definitely to narcs. I feel superior to other people, I cannot say that I have ever truly cared about anyone but one person, and I most definitely couldn't care less what my parents think about me. I can feel empathy and guilt when it comes to animals, but pretty much lack those emotions in human relationships.

I want to be a good, successful, flawless person. That person needs to tell the truth all the time, no matter how inappropriate, and this also means that I have to keep my promises. But other than that, I don't care if I hurt people mentally of physically, and would most likely not care less if I had to kill a person to save my own ass. Can anyone here relate to this? Is it possible to have both an OCPD and a NPD at the same time, or are these diagnoses contradicting?
Barracuda
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 24, 2014 3:30 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: OCPD and being a 'bad' person

Postby kidkimbo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:41 am

i believe people with OCPD are good people.

we have an instinctive sense for order, including ethical order in this world. not only that, our all-or-nothing thinking tends to split our world into two. so human behaviour is either "good" or "evil" to us. as children, we start by being good. but it's when we get older that our "goodness" can either stay or go extreme opposite (our extreme change is again a result of our all-or-nothing thinking). we are often either very considerate to others or very selfish (selfish because we are afraid of being taken advantage of). OCPDers are good people with good hearts... but fear makes OCPDers go in survival mode which often means being preoccupied with their own needs and concerns first, at the expense of the needs and concerns of others.. all that needs to happen is removal of fear, then what you got left is a good person.

difference between OCPD and NDP: http://www1.appstate.edu/~hillrw/Narcissism/differentialdiagnosis.html

few possible reasons why you might lack empathy for people: (1) your fear of negative emotions has driven you to do such a good job of avoiding those emotions for the majority of your life that when others share their negative experience, you cannot relate because you've never actually felt those emotions; (2) you are sooo hard on yourself and you give yourself no sympathy when you go through your own negative emotions that you apply the same kind of hardass attitude onto others; (3) you are so preoccupied with your own concerns and needs because you are in survival mode that you have no time to lend an ear to others.

people with OCPD, being hypersensitive, actually have more capability than regular people to empathize with others.
OCPD is a gift!
http://giftofocpd.com
kidkimbo
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Apr 23, 2014 5:30 pm

Postby Barracuda » Sat Apr 14, 2012 1:42 pm

kidkimbo wrote:few possible reasons why you might lack empathy for people: (1) your fear of negative emotions has driven you to do such a good job of avoiding those emotions for the majority of your life that when others share their negative experience, you cannot relate because you've never actually felt those emotions; (2) you are sooo hard on yourself and you give yourself no sympathy when you go through your own negative emotions that you apply the same kind of hardass attitude onto others; (3) you are so preoccupied with your own concerns and needs because you are in survival mode that you have no time to lend an ear to others.

people with OCPD, being hypersensitive, actually have more capability than regular people to empathize with others.

Ok, so I might not be a narc then. I do however, enjoy the admiration and envy of others. As I'm a high achiever I enjoy putting other people down who aren't as successful/intelligent/talented.

I don't know if any of your options are correct, hard to say. The reason I don't like people is because they hurt animals, the only things I care about in this life. I'm a vegetarian and used to to be an animal activist. I really have no interest in being a good person by "normal" standards, I don't aim at hurting people but I certainly don't care if I accidentally do. I cannot remember caring about anyone even when I was a small child, I only liked people who gave me toys and sweets etc.

But yea, I guess this is all a bit complicated.
Barracuda
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby kidkimbo » Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:21 pm

OCPDers have a strong heart for justice. Where that heart dwells for each OCPDer depends on his/her unique upbringing. you have a heart for justice for animals. i have a heart for those working under and taken advantage of by corrupt leaders in the entertainment/business industries. our passion to see justice reign in our respective areas is so strong that we cannot sit back and ignore injustice as most others do. we HATE with a passion those who cause the injustices because what they do tears our heart apart.

i think this is a beautiful kind of passion. a passion that not many regular people have. i believe positive change happens in this world because of this kind of passion.
OCPD is a gift!
http://giftofocpd.com
kidkimbo
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Barracuda » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:46 am

kidkimbo wrote:OCPDers have a strong heart for justice. Where that heart dwells for each OCPDer depends on his/her unique upbringing. you have a heart for justice for animals. i have a heart for those working under and taken advantage of by corrupt leaders in the entertainment/business industries. our passion to see justice reign in our respective areas is so strong that we cannot sit back and ignore injustice as most others do. we HATE with a passion those who cause the injustices because what they do tears our heart apart.

Well said, this describes me so perfectly. The unlucky thing is that my evil, the thing I hate the most, are other people. Our species existing is wrong, everyone = evil, the only good person is a dead person. This is why I will always lead a lonely life, unless if I can find someone who thinks in the exact same way. This is also why I cannot feel bad about anyone dying, even my mother dying was a good thing for me as I scored a fair bit of money of that.

However, I do not enjoy causing emotional pain, I'd just rather see people been put out of their misery, lol.

I read a fair bit of your blog, and one thing I can't relate to is the emotional range. My emotions are on a scale -20 to +1 rather than -20...+20. My feelings of frustration, sadness and anger are through the roof, but my feelings of joy and excitement are very short lived and not that strong either. Mostly, they are absent. This is why I was so fanatic about the guy I mentioned in that other thread - I was desperate for even the smallest amount of positive emotions.
Barracuda
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby shannono » Thu Sep 27, 2012 5:23 pm

Barracuda wrote:Heya, I usually write stuff on the AsPD forum, but I might wanna spend time on this forum too.

Anyways, my question is: Do you think that by general standards, you're a good person, or just a good person in your own delusions? Are you truly empathetic and caring, under your mask of rigidity?

The reason I'm asking, is because based on the stuff I've read online, OCPD's seem to be forever seeking for their parents unconditional love or something, and trying their best to please them by being a good person. I also read that OCPD people care about their family and friends, but struggle to show it.

I most definitely have an OCPD, it's so obvious that I feel like I have been stripped off my uniqueness. However, I feel like I can often relate to psychopaths/people with an AsPD, and most definitely to narcs. I feel superior to other people, I cannot say that I have ever truly cared about anyone but one person, and I most definitely couldn't care less what my parents think about me. I can feel empathy and guilt when it comes to animals, but pretty much lack those emotions in human relationships.

I want to be a good, successful, flawless person. That person needs to tell the truth all the time, no matter how inappropriate, and this also means that I have to keep my promises. But other than that, I don't care if I hurt people mentally of physically, and would most likely not care less if I had to kill a person to save my own ass. Can anyone here relate to this? Is it possible to have both an OCPD and a NPD at the same time, or are these diagnoses contradicting?

I feel like I am a good person. I am extremely fair, and I have excellent morals/ethics.
I quite like people with OCPD. I am extremely honest, trustworthy and dependable. If I was not depressed and anxious I could probably do some good things.
shannono
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby katierose1989 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 4:15 pm

This is my first post but I have haunted this for a while.
I am very imaginative which I thought was kind of schizptypal and I have rhuminations also. I have been diagnosed with OPD, but can understand the link to ASPD.
I want to be flawless and everything, but the rhuminations sometimes come about when I am close to a person, and sometimes get so paranoid with it that I think they are trying to 'imperfect' my life catastrophically.
For example, one friend Sam, is a few years older than me, hes 26, and had a child young, has just got a house share, decided to sleep in his car for a month, and doesn't do much except for photography which has just gone massively downhill. He always says he is jealous of me. Then he suggested we move in together! And he tried to have sex with me, which I didn't and he said we could even settle. I don't like him, and I felt he was trying to deteriorate everything I have worked for. I mean I don't exactly want to sit in a council house popping out kids with him on benefits. Then one time I had a panic attack, and I felt so vulnerable and even that he might try and make me 'dependant' and 'helpless', that I thought if he wanted me to move in with him I would do something terrible like try and make him clinically insane by giving him acid.
Its sort of the take advantage before they take advantage of you thing.
katierose1989
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Return to Obsessive-Compulsive Personality Disorder

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post