Our partner

I only have nightmares.

Nightmare Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderator: Oliveira

I only have nightmares.

Postby Naxi » Mon Jul 30, 2007 3:37 am

I don't dream normally any longer, only nightmares. They're not really frightening any longer, but I always feel bad about them. I don't remember ever having a normal dream. So, my question is: is there anything I can do?

Can you make yourself not dream? Or affect what you dream about? When I was younger, I could control my dreams, or at least what I did in them, but they were still nightmares.

How many of you with Nightmare Disorder have never had normal dreams?
EDITED BY ADMIN - Pro Anorexia statements are not welcome on this website.
Naxi
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Chucky » Mon Jul 30, 2007 10:40 pm

In my life I can only recall having approximately 10 nightmares. The most vivid is one where a knight wielding a giant sword burst into my bedroom on a black horse. The window was open and the net-curtain was blowing wildly too.

What do you do before you go to bed? This is a long shot but try changing your current habit before you go to bed. Perhaps, if you do that, you will no longer have nightmares.

Kevin.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:31 pm

Postby Naxi » Tue Jul 31, 2007 2:30 pm

Right now, I don't sleep at all (maybe half an hour - 2 hours some days). But I worry a lot before I try to sleep, which is one of the reasons that I'm an insomniac. The only thing I can do to actually fall asleep is doing some yoga exercises that are meant to make you relaxed.
EDITED BY ADMIN - Pro Anorexia statements are not welcome on this website.
Naxi
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:31 pm

Postby Raze » Tue Sep 04, 2007 1:48 am

I also have only nightmares. In fact, I've never had a "dream" to my recollection. Every night, since I was a very young child, I've had only intense and often re-occuring nightmares. I dread going to sleep most nights.
Raze
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Chucky » Tue Sep 04, 2007 4:44 pm

Naxi, it is the worrying that is probably causing you to have restless nights. Worrying increases the amount of adrenaline in the body and that makes sleeping very difficult. It heightens the sensitivity of your cells and your brain goes into overdrive.

Raze, what sort of nightmares do you have?
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Raze » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:06 pm

Chucky - My nightmares consistently include at least one of the following elements: rape, someone killing my loved ones, someone forcing me to kill my loved ones, starving/dying animals, or committing murder for what I thought were justifiable reasons but which ultimately turn out to have been a dellusion (meaning I killed someone innocent).
For example, I have a re-occuring dream where myself and several friends go to investigate an animal cruelty allegation on a farm, and wind up being relentlessly stalked by a madwoman who eventually captures us. I am then forced at gun point to skin all of my friends and knit together a full-body skin suit for the woman's son, who is for some reason skinless and disfigured. The son then rapes me wearing the skins of my friends.
I have several re-occuring dreams; the ones which have the greatest intensity and are the most disturbing often become re-occuring, sometimes with slight variations to the "plot."
Raze
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Chucky » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:27 pm

How do you possibly cope with this? If you have been having these nightmares for a number of years, surely you must be able to manage them and realise that they mean little when it comes to the real world??
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Raze » Thu Sep 06, 2007 10:36 pm

They mean little to the real world, but they've resulted in my chronically getting insufficient sleep, which has worn on my physical health. I seldom get more than 5 hours of sleep, and often get only three or so. When I am able to sleep for longer periods of time, it is broken sleep, awakening every few hours in quite a tizzy because of the nature of the dreams. I do not like going to sleep and have trouble staying asleep. I tried sleep aids, but then I became trapped in nightmares, which was deeply traumatic.
Raze
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby Chucky » Sun Sep 09, 2007 5:34 pm

I think I know what you must feel like because I typically only get just over 5 hours sleep each night; but for completely different reasons. As a result, I am lethargic throughout the latter part of the day and I have noticed dark circles forming under my eyes.

Thing might have changed though because this weekend I have slept 12 hours on Friday night and 8 hours last night.

Kevin.
Chucky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

nightmares

Postby octane deathmarch » Fri Jan 04, 2008 7:03 pm

try lucid dreaming you can control your dreams more
octane deathmarch
Consumer 0
Consumer 0