Our partner

It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:38 am

News News of Selective Mutism Forum

Site map of Selective Mutism Forum » Forum : Selective Mutism Forum

Selective Mutism message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Unusual behaviours/habits or associated difficulities?

Hi everyone!

I'm new to the forum.

Stressed and concerned parent here! My 4 year old has had ongoing difficulties and we are I would say 100 percent sure she has Selective Mutism. She had seen a Paed, received Play Therapy, undergone various assessments and shortly we have an appointment and assessment with an Educational Psychologist.

She struggles with high anxiety. She also has some unusual behaviours and other struggles. We are basically wondering if ...
Read more : Unusual behaviours/habits or associated difficulities? | Views : 4944 | Replies : 4

Advice -- discrimination

Hi everybody,

I suffer from selective mutism and I was working in a group for my masters thesis, but now this is all done. I informed my supervisor of my condition at the beginning of the project, and I also gave him a text about the condition that he read in front of me. He agreed to put something in place in order to enable me to participate in a meaningful way.

However I had ...
Read more : Advice -- discrimination | Views : 4824 | Replies : 2

Is this selective mutism?

I'm a teenager and I have trouble speaking to most of my classmates. I can talk to friends and friends of friends, along with teachers just fine. However, when it comes to classmates that are new, or like to poke fun at people I cannot physically bring myself to talk. Whenever someone like i described tries to talk to me i get shaky and i freeze up and cannot bring myself to make any noise ...
Read more : Is this selective mutism? | Views : 5190 | Replies : 2

Student with selective mutism HELP!!

I have a 7 year old little girl in my class that i believe has selective mutism. Her sibling dropped her off in my class and told me she was bashful and wouldn't talk and that she wouldn't eat at school. She will not communicate at all...no head nods, nothing. She doesn't eat, get drinks from the water fountain or go to the restroom the whole day. I cant get her to participate in anything. ...
Read more : Student with selective mutism HELP!! | Views : 5441 | Replies : 3

Selective Mutism or just mute?

Ummm... Hi... My name is... Juri... I uhh... I was made aware of this forum just now by a friend of mine and I kinda had some questions...

I'm... Mute? Anyways, I don't speak out loud. I usderstand language and can write and type of course, but no matter how much I try, I can't seem to speak... Only thing is... Uhh... I have DID (undiagnosed) and the others can talk.

Now I don't know ...
Read more : Selective Mutism or just mute? | Views : 4748 | Replies : 2

Speaking quietly/strangely

I know it's probably useless to post this here, it's so quiet, but I'll try anyways....

So I was never diagnosed with this, but I know from reading that I had selective mutism as a child. I didn't speak at all in school, It went on until high school or more, and only because I forced myself to change. I don't really know where my sm ended, because sometimes it still goes on to this ...
Read more : Speaking quietly/strangely | Views : 5330 | Replies : 2

Traumatic event at age 5. Will I get better??? *may trigger*

Hi friends,
I've suffered depression and anxiety/social anxiety since about 10 years old. I am now 30 and my life is a mess. I've just starting seeing a psychologist that for the first time I feel like I might get some help from.
So my story. At age 5 our house was destroyed in a fire that for some reason I thought I caused because I dropped something in the stove top some time before. ...
Read more : Traumatic event at age 5. Will I get better??? *may trigger* | Views : 4494 | Replies : 0

desparation..My 8 year old's symptoms...

Hi All,
Long shot here but I think my 8 year old son may have symptoms of SM but maybe it's just similar? Here are the main symptoms as I see them:
1) Will not converse with adults outside of his normal day to day circles. He's fine in class but if he happened to bump into his teacher at an unexpected place, forget it - he's tightlipped and staring at the floor. Same goes ...
Read more : desparation..My 8 year old's symptoms... | Views : 4972 | Replies : 6

Workings of SM?

Hi there guys. I'm actually having trouble understanding what selective mutism is. So far I've read posts about not desiring to talk, but it's not just not wanting to talk because you're feeling nervous or whatever, right? I'm sure there are things that make social anxiety disorder and selective mutism separate issues... I've been unable to do presentations, for instance, but that wasn't selective mutism, right? I knew I would get extremely anxious and it ...
Read more : Workings of SM? | Views : 4680 | Replies : 3

SM at work -- need advice

Hi everybody,

I need an advice to cope with a particular situation at work, because it affects the way I work / focus and I am getting seriously depressed. It would be great to get concrete advice from people who suffer from selective mustism, but also from people who don't but have some understanding about the condition. In my current surrounding, nobody understands the condition and it is difficult for me to talk about it. ...
Read more : SM at work -- need advice | Views : 5290 | Replies : 4

Login  •  Register

Statistics

Total posts 2181068 • Total topics 184246 • Total members 226284