Our partner

Are narcissists dangerous?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: narcbolan, masquerade, Esquire

Are narcissists dangerous?

Postby Eternity75 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 8:56 am

I know narcs are emotionally dangerous to associate with...but are they ever physically dangerous as well? Would a narcissist ever allow the desire for power and superiority to dominate to the point of physically hurting someone or is that leaning more towards APD or psychopathy?
Eternity75
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 5:06 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Are narcissists dangerous?

Postby Jasmer » Mon Oct 01, 2012 7:59 am

In extreme cases, yes. But in extreme cases Borderlines can also be dangerous. But as far as physical abuse I've definitely heard of far more physical violence coming from Borderlines than Narcissists. Narcissists generally operate on a more social level through manipulation and exploit. Those who grow violent I would imagine probably have other issues going on as well.
Jasmer
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 4:06 am

Postby Kiyoki » Mon Oct 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Eternity75 wrote:I know narcs are emotionally dangerous to associate with...but are they ever physically dangerous as well? Would a narcissist ever allow the desire for power and superiority to dominate to the point of physically hurting someone or is that leaning more towards APD or psychopathy?

Physically, most likely no, but be prepared (if you tangle with one) to have your life torn up from the inside out. They will ###$ with your head and lead to a myriad of things going wrong in your life. Many will try to break you if your healthy (as it is a challange). I wouldn't reccomend tangling yourself up with one. Keep them at a distance.
Kiyoki
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Mavet » Mon Oct 01, 2012 10:45 pm

I would say typically not but it depends on the person. I can remember times when my dad physically hurt me, but he was past the point of self-awareness; most of his harm was done mentally.
We're all mad here.
Mavet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:06 am

Postby Angelhearted12 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 12:38 pm

Kiyoki wrote:
Eternity75 wrote:I know narcs are emotionally dangerous to associate with...but are they ever physically dangerous as well? Would a narcissist ever allow the desire for power and superiority to dominate to the point of physically hurting someone or is that leaning more towards APD or psychopathy?

Physically, most likely no, but be prepared (if you tangle with one) to have your life torn up from the inside out. They will ###$ with your head and lead to a myriad of things going wrong in your life. Many will try to break you if your healthy (as it is a challange). I wouldn't reccomend tangling yourself up with one. Keep them at a distance.

^^ The best answer that sums it up! The key is not to let them break you! They are counting on it anyone in a situation like this needs to keep eyes and ears open! Take control of your live these types of Ns are sadistic and get pleasure out of seeing you hurt! Most victims don't realize they have the power these are also the coward types that should sum it up for you.
It is easy enough to be friendly to one's friends. But to befriend the one who regards himself as your enemy is the quintessence of true religion. The other is mere business.
Mahatma Gandhi
Angelhearted12
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:06 pm

Postby Sarahlea » Sat Jan 19, 2013 2:20 pm

There's a lot of domestic abuse in this culture. It's usually a symptom of a control freak. I don't think narcissists are precluded from that. I agree with the poster who said it depends on other aspects of the person's psychological make-up. Emotional abuse is often a precursor of physical abuse though.
Sarahlea
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 8:06 am

Postby svenska500 » Sat Jan 19, 2013 6:07 pm

The most dangerous thing I've done.. is scream at my parents 15 years ago. Once.

I would think most nons would actually be more dangerous physically than narcs; as we look at violence as a primitive, inferior way of dealing with others. When I see others enter a physical altercation, I can't help.. but think 'What weakness. Isn't that what animals do in the wild? Pathetic.. Showing the other person that you are investing physically in them; only shows that they have power over you.'

I show complete and total indifference. That is what I am dangerous at; Nothing more.
Be extremely subtle, even to the point of formlessness. Be extremely mysterious, even to the point of soundlessness. Thereby you can be the director of the opponent's fate. - Sun Tzu
svenska500
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Ashlar » Sat Jan 19, 2013 7:20 pm

Like anything, it's going to take more information than just a narcisistic personality to tell you if someone is dangerous. Look at the ones that are ill equipped to deal with society and have habitual criminal problems and you'll find some physically dangerous ones. Of course, if you mean emotionally dangerous or dangerous to society, I'm sure you can find some that fit that profile too.

In my experience, they don't often pick physical confrontations unless they know they're going to win. They're not usually gamblers in that way.
Ashlar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 6:06 am

Postby Esquire » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:40 pm

svenska500 wrote:I would think most nons would actually be more dangerous physically than narcs; as we look at violence as a primitive, inferior way of dealing with others. When I see others enter a physical altercation, I can't help.. but think 'What weakness. Isn't that what animals do in the wild? Pathetic.

Agreed. I see physical violence as beneath me. I also have exquisite impulse control and control over my emotions.

Didn't mean to resurrect this old thread. Just got to doing some searches and saw this quote, and I wanted to weigh in, since this is a topic that a lot of partners of NPDs probably wonder about. An NPD who is physically violent probably has AsPD as well.
Esquire
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 7:06 am

Postby BlueLabel » Wed Oct 09, 2013 8:46 pm

They will ###$ with your head and lead to a myriad of things going wrong in your life. Many will try to break you if your healthy (as it is a challange). I wouldn't reccomend tangling yourself up with one. Keep them at a distance.

I'm not having a go, but do you really think this? I always thought the man I was seeing was just so blind that he treated me like dirt and genuinely didn't think he was doing anything wrong. He's always surprised (and incredibly aggressive) when I complain about the push/pull thing, like it's my fault for being needy, he's just really busy etc. I truly think he honestly thinks it's all my fault & he is completely blameless.

He's demonstrated aggressive behavior in front of my daughter, another child & a friend of mine. Not towards them, but at his "beloved" dog, who he attacked. My daughter detests him (she's a huge animal lover), my friend actually said she is traumatised by what she saw. He's never shown any violence to or in front of me. But his reaction to me getting upset at his treatment has always been quite aggressive. Not name calling, but swearing at me & getting really, really angry :(

Yet I still miss him :?
BlueLabel
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Oct 31, 2014 12:06 pm

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post