Our partner

NPD While Taking Prestique?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

NPD While Taking Prestique?

Postby boxes_87 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 3:53 am

Hello guys/gals, I'm fairly new to the forums, however I'm currently in a situation where my girlfriend of 8 years is telling me that she is convinced i have NPD, however I have done tons of research, taken lots of online tests, and even asked my friends as well as family members to compare my personality and tendencies to the symptoms of NPD. All of these led results that signify that I do not have this disorder. I also plan on talking to a psychiatrist in order to get a more official result.

On that note, my girlfriend actually does display symptoms of NPD, however she has been on Prestique for about 3-4 months now. Looking back she always showed the symptoms, however now that the Prestique seems to be kicking in, she has been VERY much difficult to deal with in terms of insecurities, envy, and stubbornness.

So a few questions I guess...

1) Would it be possible that someone can be aware of a disorder and be so familiar with the symptoms so much that they are trying to accuse you of having them, and still not seeing them in themselves?

2) Does anyone know what sort of effects the Prestique could be having on her thought process granted that she does have NPD?

3) Does anyone have any experience with someone who has NPD and is taking Prestique at the same time?

I do love her, and am becoming very worried, and she seems to be getting worse, and i am not sure how to show her or even get her to agree to be evaluated herself. She's just not the same person that she used to be.

Thank you in advance to any and everyone who can even partially help me out with this one.
boxes_87
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:50 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: NPD While Taking Prestique?

Postby Superficial » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:37 am

boxes_87 wrote:1) Would it be possible that someone can be aware of a disorder and be so familiar with the symptoms so much that they are trying to accuse you of having them, and still not seeing them in themselves?

2) Does anyone know what sort of effects the Prestique could be having on her thought process granted that she does have NPD?

3) Does anyone have any experience with someone who has NPD and is taking Prestique at the same time?

I do love her, and am becoming very worried, and she seems to be getting worse, and i am not sure how to show her or even get her to agree to be evaluated herself. She's just not the same person that she used to be.

Thank you in advance to any and everyone who can even partially help me out with this one.

1) Yes. This is called projection. Everybody does it. Freud originated the term. It is basically a psychological phenomenon whereby an individual places his/her insecurities and/or personal dissatisfactions and/or motivations onto external things in an attempt to shift blame away from himself/herself. These external things are often people. You can read about it. It is widely discussed.

2/3) Pristiq is an SNRI -- a common form of antidepressant medication. I have NPD and have personal experience with SSRIs and SNRIs. These types of medications aggravate my symptoms to extreme levels. They greatly enhance my feelings of grandiosity and entitlement which would cause me great frustration if my girlfriend, for example, would not do what I wanted her to do. I was also, at times, drinking heavily for several days on the medications despite doctors directions (what do doctors know, right?). I would consume 1-2 gallons of vodka over a three or four day period. Combined with the meds, I was a threat to people around me during those periods. I became addicted to the effects of Wellbutrin and abused the medication to the absolute max.
dx: Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Superficial
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:50 pm

Postby boxes_87 » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:54 am

Thank you so much for your input. This information is truly invaluable to me.
I'm now doing research on projection, as well as the way that Prestique works.

If it is ok to ask, what did you do to realize that the medication was making your symptoms worse?
And what made you actually decide to stop so that it didn't amplify the NPD symptoms?
boxes_87
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby boxes_87 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 12:54 am

Anyone have any help to offer? I understand the situation...I just cant seem to figure out how to get her to see whats really happening without making things worse or pushing her further away. (As of right now she wont even talk to me...at all)
boxes_87
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Superficial » Tue Jul 31, 2012 3:45 am

boxes_87 wrote:Thank you so much for your input. This information is truly invaluable to me.
I'm now doing research on projection, as well as the way that Prestique works.

If it is ok to ask, what did you do to realize that the medication was making your symptoms worse?
And what made you actually decide to stop so that it didn't amplify the NPD symptoms?

I had to lose everything before I could begin to look at myself and my part to play.

And as far as the medication goes, I didn't know until a few years later when I read that antidepressants can aggravate the symptoms of NPD. I stopped taking it because I realized medication is not the answer to the problem I have. Stopping the medication and realizing it had adverse affects were totally unrelated events.
dx: Narcissistic Personality Disorder
Superficial
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby Blarneystone » Tue Jul 31, 2012 1:35 pm

boxes_87 wrote:Anyone have any help to offer? I understand the situation...I just cant seem to figure out how to get her to see whats really happening without making things worse or pushing her further away. (As of right now she wont even talk to me...at all)

Sorry, but there is probably nothing you can do to enlighten her. This disorder doesn't bode well for self-awareness. In fact, by virtue of you researching this about yourself indicates to lg. extent you do not have NPD.

If you were normal before your relationship, and now you are questioning your mental health, that is called gas lighting. Stick around, there is a lot to learn.
Blarneystone
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post