Our partner

Narcissistic brother?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Narcissistic brother?

Postby lalagirl3 » Sat Jul 28, 2012 4:37 pm

HI all,
I'm new to this forum, but have been doing a lot of reading on this board in the last few days. I grew up with a narcissistic father, although never diagnosed. He verbally abused my mother, my brother and I for so many years. By the time my parents divorced, my brother and I were in our early twenties. I just got out a relationship with a man who was an alcoholic and potentially anarcissist himself. I see why I didn't see the signs, but am determined to get help from my therapist of twelve years. My brother, 28, has grown up to be just like his father. My father constantly put him down for being overweight, calling him "spineless, a fat blob" among other things. We could never do anything right in my father eyes. While I learned to accept who my father really is, my brother tried to escape from it by moving hours away when he was 20. He now lives on the other side of the country, but I see now how much he is like my father. He never respected me as a sister and as a person, I've realized he chooses girlfriends who have had problems with their father as well. My brother is prone to angry outbursts about almost anything. Over the years, my mom and I have learned to walk on eggshells around him. Is there hope for my brother? There have been times that my brother has talked to me about how jealous he is for never having a relationship with his father especially, when he sees the father-son bond in others. I want desperately to salvage the relationship with my brother. I want him to get help and understand that he need not repeat the cycle. I just want him to be secure in who he is and to be genuinely content with is life. How to I approach the subject to him and allow him to see that he truly needs help?
lalagirl3
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:51 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post