Our partner

Narcissistic Personality Inventory

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: narcbolan, masquerade, Esquire

Narcissistic Personality Inventory

Postby Metastatic » Sun Jan 29, 2012 7:59 pm

This is the most thoroughly researched and widely used test of narcissism. The concept of narcissism is comprised of various aspects and psychologists have differing opinions about the essential features of pathological narcissism. There seem to be several types of narcissistic disorder and some narcissistic traits may even be adaptive. The NPI is a test of overt or grandiose narcissism. There have been several objections to it, such as that high scores on some of its factors are adaptive, but it remains a standard measure. Here is the test online: http://psychcentral.com/quizzes/narcissistic.htm

My results:
Authority: 7.00
Self-Sufficiency: 3.00
Superiority: 5.00
Exhibitionism: 3.00
Exploitativeness: 5.00
Vanity: 3.00
Entitlement: 6.00

Total: 32/40
Metastatic
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:44 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Narcissistic Personality Inventory

Postby AlAtBar » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:40 pm

I'm slipping:

Your Total: 15

Between 12 and 15 is average.
Celebrities often score closer to 18.
Narcissists score over 20.

Authority: 3.00
Self-Sufficiency: 1.00
Superiority: 0.00
Exhibitionism: 5.00
Exploitativeness: 1.00
Vanity: 0.00
Entitlement: 5.00
AlAtBar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:44 am

Postby Not a Victim » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:44 pm

I am very high on entitlement, the rest is normal. I did the test a while ago and don't have scores.

But how can one seriously use this test for diagnostic purposes? The questions are so obvious. If I am a narcissist (and they are very smart), I can easily pick the right answers to appear normal. And the other way around.

Also, the questions are often polarized. How about not A or B, but C?
Not a Victim
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 5:44 am

Postby AlAtBar » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:50 pm

Not a Victim wrote: If I am a narcissist (and they are very smart), I can easily pick the right answers to appear normal. And the other way around.

True, even though narcissists are renowned for having terrible self-insight this test seems like an incredibly blunt instrument (as Hannibal Lecter might say). :)

It probably assumes you are trying to be honest, and is not even attempting to deal with the deception question, but even then it does not even seem to deal with the subtly or not so subtly lying to yourself problem.

I always thought tests like these should be more like "imagine this situations. what would you do?" where both answer are reasonable and it is not completely transparent what the questions is trying to get at. That would be much better than asking potentially PD'ed individuals to do self-assesments, IMO.
AlAtBar
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 3:44 am

Postby funky » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:13 pm

I got 16, which is 4 points lower than when I took the test about 8 months ago.

Authority. 2
Self sufficiency. 1
Superiority. 3
Exhibitionism. 6
Exploitativeness. 3
Vanity. 1
Entitlement. 0.

The problem was that many of the choices were extreme, as Not a Victim said, so my answers weren't particularly accurate.
The other thing is that the test didn't address the issue of (lack of) emotion, although I realise that that isn't unique to narcissism. Come to think of it, it didn't mention anger either, although again, I realise that anger isn't exclusive to narcissism.

Oh yes, just something that interested me - I read the part about how to spot a narcissist, and the author wrote about a narcissist who avoided him because of his (the author's) self-assuredness. I also find this characteristic very unnerving, as I feel as though the self assured person can see through my bull $#%^.

I agree with AlAtBar that more indirect questioning might have yielded more accurate results.
funky
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Metastatic » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:52 pm

Not a Victim wrote:I am very high on entitlement, the rest is normal. I did the test a while ago and don't have scores.

Entitlement, exploitativeness, and exhibitionism are the most maladaptive factors. Authority and self-sufficiency are the most adaptive. Authority is strongly correlated with self-esteem, optimism, and people who score high on it are described positively by others. I don't know where superiority fits in, but it's not as maladaptive as the three Es.

You could take it again, btw. It takes <5 minutes.

But how can one seriously use this test for diagnostic purposes? The questions are so obvious. If I am a narcissist (and they are very smart), I can easily pick the right answers to appear normal. And the other way around.

Also, the questions are often polarized. How about not A or B, but C?

You can easily lie. I assume they expect you to be truthful. They wouldn't use it in a context in which you'd be motivated to lie.

It was intentionally designed as a forced choice questionnaire. They realize that you may think that neither describes you or that both do. I had this dilemma with a few items. You choose the statement that fits you slightly better. Apparently, here are strengths of both forced choice tests and tests that ask you to rate your preference on a scale, but don't ask me to tell you what they are.

Research shows that the NPI actually works. Test takers must be honest enough overall. For example, high scorers on the NPI and low scorers have observably different autonomic responses to aversive stimuli. Additionally, the NPI has a moderate positive correlation with the Psychopathy Checklist (.33 to .34 on factor 1, factor 2, and total score). People who interact with high scorers describe them as assertive, dominant, self-assured, attention-seeking, manipulative, etc. High scores in authority and self-sufficiency are correlated with positive appraisals and high exploitativeness, entitlement, and exhibitionism are correlated with negative assessments.
Metastatic
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Euterpe » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:22 am

Out of curiosity and for the sake of making a comparison I’ve got 7 as a total score, authority being the highest trait 3, exhibitionism 2 :lol:
The other day I took the empathy test someone posted here and came up with 67.
Damn, got to work harder to develop a bit of bitchiness :twisted:
"I’d cut my soul into a million different pieces just to form a constellation to light your way home. I’d write love poems to the parts of yourself you can’t stand. I’d stand in the shadows of your heart and tell you I’m not afraid of your dark. "
"Dixi et salvavi animam meam"
Euterpe
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 1:44 pm

Postby Itachi » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:38 pm

Narcissistic Trait
Authority: 4.00
Self-Sufficiency: 3.00
Superiority: 2.00
Exhibitionism: 3.00
Exploitativeness: 3.00
Vanity: 1.00
Entitlement: 6.00

I say of myself that i am a covert.
Cornered beasts bite.
Itachi
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 12:44 pm

Postby Anais » Mon Jan 30, 2012 1:58 pm

My score moves between 12 to 16, I got 16 today. Boosted by high scores in self-sufficiency which I think is related to being an ACON, where you learn that you certainly won't get your needs met by others (hard to unlearn this). I identify as a Non.

To add to what posters have said about the bluntness of the instrument...

My mum's personality is almost completely consumed by the narcissistic defence, more so than most here I'd guess. But if she took this test, she'd score lower than average. This would be how it'd break down for her, and as far as I know she is genuine in these beliefs, ie not self-aware at all:

"Am I one of the crowd? Or do I like to stand out? Oh me, I'd have to choose one of the crowd! TICK. Oh but I've known some charlatans in my time! People who love the limelight, people who aren't genuine. I pity them, because they haven't lived as I have! Oh, how well I`ve lived! To thine own self be true, I always say! Don`t live a small life, live a life of meaning, I always say, just as I have done!

Now, next question...
Will I be a great success? Or is success not important to me? Oh, success isn't important to me! TICK. I'm not one to be trifled by appearances! I've always inherently known what matters in life, and what doesn't, I've never been weak-minded, as so many are... Of course I've known my fair share of those! But I've always treated them with compassion, yes indeed I have, I have walked through life gracefully, I must say..."

and so on. Sigh.
Anais
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 23, 2014 7:44 am

Postby deepwater2011 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:01 pm

I took it back in July when I had just discovered NPD existed, but answered as I thought my husband would, for my own understanding of things. It wasn't something I was going to use as my bible for labeling him, but it did confirm, along with many other things, that I had to give the NPD thing a lot of regard.

"He" scored a 29, for what it is worth, since I took it "for" him. How ironic is that! Presumptuous of me, literally.

I just took it myself. I know Nons shouldn't be here on this topic, but figured it was fair to test myself.

I scored a 5, and would probably score higher if I was feeling better about life. I would definitely have scored higher years ago. I am just feeling pretty humble right now about my own faults and baggage and the size of the list of things I need to work on personally. So, normally high in self-esteem, I don't feel that way lately on some things. I learned too much about NPD and had so many things I was upset with him about last year that I ended up focusing more on my own faults this last month out of fairness to him. That has me reeling a bit myself, and doing what I asked of him...looking in the mirror, a painful thing.

So, I think my score is unusually low for who I am in general. But I should be feeling humbled by the mirror, so this score doesn't surprise me.

-- Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:08 pm --

oh, and I took a bunch of their other tests, and scored super high in empathy. On the other hand, I would have scored high on any test that measured not being afraid to tell your spouse how messed up they are when you are super focused on how much they have hurt you...so I doubt he would have felt my empathy quotient much at the time. It would have been overshadowed by other stuff at that time.

I am giving him my empathy now, and lately, sans the anger, most of the time.
deepwater2011
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post