Our partner

Narcissism and drug abuse.

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: narcbolan, masquerade, Esquire

Narcissism and drug abuse.

Postby unreal » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:39 am

Is narcissism, possibly, in any way linked to drug abuse?

I'm deeply in love with amphetamine, and its little brother, methylphenidate, for example. They give me a happiness and euphoria I usually only get from huge amounts of narcissistic supply.

MDMA, which is an empathogen - this means, IT PRODUCES EMPATHY - see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Empathogen - has made me feel a really weird connection to other people in the past. Sadly I've had no opportunity to take it since I've become self-aware, but it would be REALLY interested in what would happen.

What are your thoughts?
What we are concerned with is narcissism in a pathological sense, with self-love that serves as a cloak for self-hatred. The polarities of self-hatred and self-love are linked together in the defensive system, but the nuclear problem is the self-hatred.
unreal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:57 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Narcissism and drug abuse.

Postby Friggle » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:43 pm

I had a few flings w maryjane to deal with my dysphoria. Ill occasionally take a few tokes , but that's like every two to three months
NPD (malignant)
PPD
Depression (moderate)
DXD Since '11
Not giving a damn since '91
Friggle
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:57 am

Postby Normal? » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:46 pm

Hey Unreal

I recommend reading about Dual Diagnosis:- this is a good place to start:

http://web.archive.org/web/200608192135 ... ddhome.htm

These may also be of interest:

http://www.addictioninfo.org/articles/5 ... Page1.html

http://www.addictioninfo.org/articles/5 ... Page1.html

Best

Normal?
This should have been a noble creature:
A goodly frame of glorious elements,
Had they been wisely mingled; as it is,
It is an awful chaos—light and darkness,
And mind and dust, and passions and pure thoughts,
Mix’d, and contending without end or order,
All dormant or destructive.
Normal?
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:57 am

Postby arrested » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:23 pm

I think I have read that NPD is linked to substance abuse. From my own experience, my stbx was a bit fixated with drugs and alcohol abuse. Before we married, when I had no reason to disbelieve him, he told me that quite a few people around us were alcoholic or drug addicts. I was suprised but didn't question him on people he knew better than me.

He told me at one point that he had been on a bottle of Gin every day and that he had taken cocaine every night. Not sure of the truth of anything he said.

After we got married, he accused me of being; alcoholic, using slimming pills, cocaine and heroin.

We married on 29th August and on 3rd September he filled a prescription for anti-depressants. He told me later - in front of a addiction therapist - that he was taking 3 separate anti-depressants, one from his GP, one from a private doctor and one from a 'friendly chemist who didn't ask questions'.

I'll never know the truth but his 'rages' were filled with substance abuse and sexual molestation.
Disclaimer: My stbx was not diagnosed with NPD. I recognise the behaviour I experienced in others' posts. I don't assume that every 'ex' is NPD, I just respond to the behaviours described. Doesn't matter anymore, NPD won't exist by 2013.
arrested
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby undenied » Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:59 am

I have indeed read that substance abuse is often seen with NPD. I could certainly see how it would be "useful" to block negative feelings - I mean, that's why everyone does it, right?

However, just to be the voice of dissent, I have zero substance problems. I've tried a few things and didn't find them interesting enough to keep doing them. I drink only occasionally and never to excess. When they banned smoking in the bars a few years ago, I quit cold turkey without thinking. Alcoholism runs in my family, too, but apparently I just didn't get that gene.

Also, I was prescribed methyphenidate for years for ADD, and it didn't do diddly. Tried snorting it a couple times too - made me a little paranoid, but that's it.

I'd probably do coke regularly if I thought it was helping me "get things done". Bit of a workaholic, so I can see the appeal.

arrested wrote:I'll never know the truth but his 'rages' were filled with substance abuse and sexual molestation.

As a semi-related note, I just read recently that some ridiculously high percentage of molestations have substances involved. As if the person can control their urges until they get on something, I suppose.

And I realized I'm wrong - I totally have a caffeine addiction. I love that crap.
  • Just because I'm crazy doesn't mean I'm wrong.
  • Please feel free to request citations/sources.
  • Here's my Dx.
  • I really like making lists.
undenied
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:57 am
Blog: View Blog (7)

Postby unreal » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:55 am

Also, I was prescribed methyphenidate for years for ADD, and it didn't do diddly. Tried snorting it a couple times too - made me a little paranoid, but that's it.

Holy crap. Snorting methylphenidate is pure awesomeness. Did it not give you huge energy boosts?
What we are concerned with is narcissism in a pathological sense, with self-love that serves as a cloak for self-hatred. The polarities of self-hatred and self-love are linked together in the defensive system, but the nuclear problem is the self-hatred.
unreal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby undenied » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:05 am

unreal wrote:Holy crap. Snorting methylphenidate is pure awesomeness. Did it not give you huge energy boosts?

Absolutely nothing. I was pretty disappointed. I'd go downtown to watch the barhoppers, but I'd always have to leave because I'd get the jeebies from all the cops that drove by. Smoking pot doesn't do much for me either, so it must just be a chemical/genetics thing. Tried to robotrip once, and that didn't do anything but make me barf. Sad.
  • Here's my Dx.
undenied
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby unreal » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:08 am

Yeah, that really is sad. What can I say? You're missing out.

Then again, methylphenidate is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor. I can't imagine that there could be any kind of genetic issue that could sabotage this - I'm pretty sure all human beings have a dopamine system.

Dopamine and serotonin have, interestingly, also been connected to narcissistic supply. Apperently we get a little serotonin rush every time we get supply.
unreal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby undenied » Tue Feb 15, 2011 4:59 am

unreal wrote:Yeah, that really is sad. What can I say? You're missing out.

I'd love to try hallucinogenics. Some day? :P

Then again, methylphenidate is a dopamine reuptake inhibitor. I can't imagine that there could be any kind of genetic issue that could sabotage this - I'm pretty sure all human beings have a dopamine system.

I've got OCD too, so it could be that my brain is all wonky. So maybe the drug did something, just...not something I noticed. SSRIs made me goddamn crazy, paranoid, weirdly suicidal.

Dopamine and serotonin have, interestingly, also been connected to narcissistic supply. Apparently we get a little serotonin rush every time we get supply.

Yeah, makes sense. That's why it feeds itself.

Like always, I have a study for this! They put some normal healthy people on SSRIs and made them play an ultimatum game, where you could choose to lose in order to help a friend, or say screw 'em and win. The people with higher serotonin were more likely to be nice.

Other stuff says...."evidence indicate that genetically determined variability in serotonergic gene expression influences complex traits including that of inappropriately aggressive behavior"....
  • Here's my Dx.
undenied
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby unreal » Tue Feb 15, 2011 5:10 am

undenied wrote:I'd love to try hallucinogenics. Some day? :P

Well, your attempt with DXM failed, obviously. For me, LSD was an awesome experience. As you may know, LSD is able to do REALLY weird stuff to your psyche - it's not so much about the hallucinations, but about all the thoughts it gives you about yourself and the world. It's been successfully used in psychotherapy, for example. Now as a narcissist I've always felt like there's a barrier between me and the rest of the world - a barrier that makes it impossible to have empathy or to feel as part of a collective, you probably know what I'm talking about. Now when I was on LSD it felt kind of like this barrier was breaking down, like I finally became one with the outside world. But then I got really afraid and it stopped. Meh. I definitely want to do that again.

I've got OCD too, so it could be that my brain is all wonky. So maybe the drug did something, just...not something I noticed. SSRIs made me goddamn crazy, paranoid, weirdly suicidal.

Yeah, SSRIs tend to do that. But dopamine RIs, like methylphenidate - and also cocaine - never really do that kind of stuff to people, only on the comedown.

They put some normal healthy people on SSRIs and made them play an ultimatum game, where you could choose to lose in order to help a friend, or say screw 'em and win. The people with higher serotonin were more likely to be nice.

Yeah, it's really weird that the neurotransmitter that's responsible for empathy is like our personal drug. Still, we don't have any empathy at all. But as I said, I REALLY want to try empathogenic drugs again and see what happens. If it works, I might just become an ecstasy addict. Or I'd actually be able to compare "normalness" and narcissism and make a choice. Wouldn't that be awesome.

Other stuff says...."evidence indicate that genetically determined variability in serotonergic gene expression influences complex traits including that of inappropriately aggressive behavior"....

Makes a lot of sense.
unreal
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post