Our partner

NPD and Suicide?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: narcbolan, masquerade, Esquire

NPD and Suicide?

Postby undenied » Thu Jan 20, 2011 3:34 pm

I've read conflicting things here. Are NPD persons more at risk for suicide, or less?

Assessing Suicidal Youth With Antisocial, Borderline, or Narcissistic Personality Disorder; P. Links et al:
"...patients with narcissistic personality disorder can be at high risk for suicide during periods when they are not suffering from clinical depression. These episodes can seem to be unpredictable."

But as I said, there are other sources which say N's love themselves too much to want to kill themselves (if you'll pardon me paraphrasing).

Having been hospitalized for a suicide attempt, I am, of course, biased in my opinion.
  • Just because I'm crazy doesn't mean I'm wrong.
  • Please feel free to request citations/sources.
  • Here's my Dx.
  • I really like making lists.
User avatar
undenied
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:21 am
Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)


ADVERTISEMENT

Re: NPD and Suicide?

Postby imjustagirl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:06 am

My N often says that if it wasn't for his religion, he would have committed suicide a long time ago - but it is always because of the "wrongs" that others have done to him and everything he has been through due to other people etc.

I don't have NPD, but do have very severe anxiety and depression issues, with probably co-dependency issues and who knows what else lol. I have also attempted suicide, which was a year and a half ago. I've only done that once and I did scare myself a lot. I have flashbacks and nightmares about the entire incident as it was rather nasty. Sometimes I'll be laying in bed or sitting down and for some reason my brain will just go to the incident and it literally takes the breath out of my body and a feeling of "OH MY GOD" washes over me and I physically sit bolt upright and it is like a dream, really.

Anyway, I digress. I don't really know if a person with NPD is more or less likely to commit suicide. My brain leans slightly more to the fact that a lot of people with NPD don't think there's anything wrong and love themselves way too much to even consider such a thing.... but then they are very emotionally unstable - so I don't know. Interesting question. I'm looking forward to reading the opinions of others on this one.
imjustagirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:15 pm
Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: NPD and Suicide?

Postby Galliano » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:38 am

Less. Narcissists play at victim. They don't really become too upset about anything. They lack that dimension. Anger and hate actually works like oxygen to them.
Sane - not Narcissist.
Galliano
Consumer 3
Consumer 3
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:01 pm
Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: NPD and Suicide?

Postby imjustagirl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:50 am

Galliano wrote:Anger and hate actually works like oxygen to them.


It's funny because my N accuses me of loving to argue, he says I have a "fetish" with arguing. What will happen is this... I will try and TALK to him about any particular issue that is going on and he will get aggressive in a SNAP about it, shouting, refusing the conversation, starts saying nasty things, tells me he doesn't have time, starts ignoring me, gives me the silent treatment, winds me up etc and I end up getting frustrated and angry and I react to it, then everything ends up in an argument. He cannot see that if he would simply TALK to me, communicate with me, then none of the arguing would EVER happen! It's ridiculous. Somehow it is ALWAYS my fault for simply wanting to COMMUNICATE within my marriage. He then reacts like I have abused HIM and will start all kinds of funny behaviours - forcing the tears out, shaking his head, starring into the distance as if his life is about to be over with this melancholy look on his face, making stupid noises etc - all to get attention and invoke guilt within me. He accuses me of anger and hate, but it is actually him. A marriage can never work without communication. Asking someone to communicate with you and expecting it within a marriage is NOT abuse. It's a perfectly reasonable request. Like you say, he PLAYS at victim.

Anyway, back to the actual thread topic... reading the original post again... with regards to the clinical depression part - what is this like for a person with NPD. I know I suffer depression terribly... most of it is the result of emotional abuse. I suppose I don't understand how a person with NPD becomes depressed when they have such high opinions of themselves and how one would BE when depressed? My N thinks he is so wonderful at LIFE and is God's gift to the heavens and earth. Is this just because this is an outward face for the people to see, but inside he is really completely depressed? - does a person with NPD know that they're depressed or do they fool themselves as well as others with the faces that they put on? I am interested.
imjustagirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:15 pm
Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: NPD and Suicide?

Postby Galliano » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:08 am

A Malignant will accuse you of everything they are... Projection.

IE....

You don't know how to show your feelings...
You love arguing...
You play mind games...
You don't commuicate enough...
You are selfish ( a favourite with Narcissists )
You take me for granted...
You are lazy...
You are inconsiderate...
You are unloving and lack attention for me...
You do NOTHING for me...

All SH1T. All Narcissist's inner malaise. They are on a mission to turn nice people (you) into people like them. Nasty, #######5, worthless husks. :D
Sane - not Narcissist.
Galliano
Consumer 3
Consumer 3
 
Posts: 62
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:01 pm
Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: NPD and Suicide?

Postby undenied » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:12 pm

I've got to disagree with you, imjustagirl (not in a mean way) - Narcs DON'T really have a high opinion of themselves. They have the same opinion of themselves as everyone does, probably worse. But they're exceptionally talented at deluding themselves. Most of the time.

I'm actually with Galliano on this one. How awful. :mrgreen:
  • Just because I'm crazy doesn't mean I'm wrong.
  • Please feel free to request citations/sources.
  • Here's my Dx.
  • I really like making lists.
User avatar
undenied
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:21 am
Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: NPD and Suicide?

Postby SansStars » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:24 pm

Galliano wrote:A Malignant will accuse you of everything they are... Projection.

IE....

You don't know how to show your feelings...
You love arguing...
You play mind games...
You don't commuicate enough...
You are selfish ( a favourite with Narcissists )
You take me for granted...
You are lazy...
You are inconsiderate...
You are unloving and lack attention for me...
You do NOTHING for me...


:| I disagree. I do all these, but I'm not a Malignant Narc.. Just a "normal" one.

I'd have to say less, as well. Can't say I've ever had the desire to kill myself; even the thought, if ever existed, lasted milliseconds.
Without stars, only darkness can ensue.
User avatar
SansStars
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:56 am
Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: NPD and Suicide?

Postby undenied » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:56 pm

[quote="SansStars] :| I disagree. I do all these, but I'm not a Malignant Narc.. Just a "normal" one. [/quote]

Galliano thinks all Narcs are malignant.

Perhaps the difference in suicidality lies in whther the person has comorbid issues?
  • Just because I'm crazy doesn't mean I'm wrong.
  • Please feel free to request citations/sources.
  • Here's my Dx.
  • I really like making lists.
User avatar
undenied
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 886
Joined: Sun Dec 26, 2010 5:21 am
Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (7)

Re: NPD and Suicide?

Postby SansStars » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:14 pm

undenied wrote:
SansStars wrote: :| I disagree. I do all these, but I'm not a Malignant Narc.. Just a "normal" one.


Galliano thinks all Narcs are malignant.


Ahh.. I sees.

Perhaps the difference in suicidality lies in whther the person has comorbid issues?


You is smart. I have to agree. All these damn clusters like to overlap and intertwine. It would be logical to say someone who was co-morbid with, say BPD, may be more likely to deviate that direction.
Without stars, only darkness can ensue.
User avatar
SansStars
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 505
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 5:56 am
Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Re: NPD and Suicide?

Postby imjustagirl » Fri Jan 21, 2011 3:17 pm

undenied wrote:I've got to disagree with you, imjustagirl (not in a mean way) - Narcs DON'T really have a high opinion of themselves. They have the same opinion of themselves as everyone does, probably worse. But they're exceptionally talented at deluding themselves. Most of the time.

I'm actually with Galliano on this one. How awful. :mrgreen:


Yeah. I think I am coming to understand it a bit more just now. Like... they have low opinions of themselves, but put this massive front on for everyone.... but, do they end up believing this front in the end? Do they end up believing their own lies? or even pretending to themselves that they believe their own lies? - God, this is all so confusing lol.
imjustagirl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6
 
Posts: 216
Joined: Sat Oct 09, 2010 10:15 pm
Local time: Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:54 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum




  • Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: conditional_love, georgessa and 169 guests

cron