Our partner

Religious Narcissists

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: narcbolan, masquerade, Esquire

Religious Narcissists

Postby Galliano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:09 am

Many Narcissists feel empowered and justified in their actions / abuse by 'finding' God... as if they rub shoulders with a higher power. A Good thing. The guy at the top. They claim to have the Holy Spirit. This absolves them of all their decision making and actions. Just like some Psychopaths, they claim God has mapped things out and give them a purpose and validity...It makes them always right and always good...(in their own disturbed world)

Anyone had the misfortune of being with a religious Narcissist? I served 10 years. I still have years of hate left in me. I don't like it but I didn't put it there... I didn't grow it or create it but I'll look after it...

By the way, I have nothing against religion. Just Narcissists that fake it to abuse.
Sane - not Narcissist.
Galliano
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:21 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Religious Narcissists

Postby Genevieve » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:33 am

No mine was an atheist and argued about politics all the time. He thought he was so superior because he went to University and sat on some student rep board in 1974 with two guys who are now very senior conservative politicians. He is a left winger. Went on on and on about how evil and greedy the right are. So boring. Politics and religion are personal. I guess he had nothing else apart from his exwife and kids to talk about as he no friends or social life. If you believed in God you were an idiot. He admired Christopher Hitchens and Richard Dawkins. I like to keep an open mind. I spent 20 years in health care with people who were terminally ill. If religion can give someone comfort then that is great. This N sat behind his laptop all day making deals for a big multinational so I guess he was wordly wise and therefore qualified to comment. He told me I should be deeper in my outlook on life and he wished as he was devaluing me that we could have deeper more profound conversations. Inferring I was a lightweight. I have a medical degree, two law degrees and I sit on ethics committees! Man I used to get so wild.
Genevieve
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Thu Jul 31, 2014 3:21 pm

Postby talula » Sun Dec 05, 2010 1:41 am

i wasn't with one romantically, (whenever i sniff out the slightest bit of religious talk i end it there), but my father i think would qualify.
You served 10 years? Well, i had no choice in the matter, (try an entire youth and possible lifetime). My father will always be an N who sees his children as extensions of him, bolstering his own immature sense of self and 'respectability.'

it's basically a childish mentality. reputation is everything to him, and religion works to insure that he fits in. i guess i suffered a great deal of psychological harm as a result of his controlling, annihilating worldview. For the sake of my own survival and sanity, i can't have anything to do with him anymore.

he stands firm with the dogma of religion, without any of the emotion, or as some would put it, the 'spirituality.'

i think you'll find that most religious people are either intellectually misguided, or emotionally shallow and find compensation in religion. then you have the outright cynical ones who know they don't believe in it but take advantage of others through it.

i don't know if i went off topic a little, but there you go.
talula
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby LifeSong » Sun Dec 05, 2010 4:22 am

talula wrote:i think you'll find that most religious people are either intellectually misguided, or emotionally shallow and find compensation in religion. then you have the outright cynical ones who know they don't believe in it but take advantage of others through it.

Hi talula,

I am a religious person, and I am neither intellectually misguided nor emotionally shallow. My ability to believe is not a compensation for anything. It is simply 'faith' and it enhances my life.

My mother, however, 'used' religion. She did not have a real belief. For years while I was young, she was the choir director and we were always in church every Sunday. For her, it was a show of respectability and perhaps she felt that it gave her a veneer of goodness. I'm not certain of her motivation. I do know that she behaved one way at church and a completely different way at home. At one point, she started an affair with a pastor, and when that eventually ended, she never went back to church, any church, again. She didn't miss it, as it hadn't been real to start with. So I suppose that she could be called a religious narcissist.. one who went through the motions of religion but who had no real belief.
LifeSong
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Postby Euler » Sun Dec 05, 2010 10:53 am

Hi talula,

I am a religious person, and I am neither intellectually misguided nor emotionally shallow. My ability to believe is not a compensation for anything. It is simply 'faith' and it enhances my life.

My mother, however, 'used' religion. She did not have a real belief. For years while I was young, she was the choir director and we were always in church every Sunday. For her, it was a show of respectability and perhaps she felt that it gave her a veneer of goodness. I'm not certain of her motivation. I do know that she behaved one way at church and a completely different way at home. At one point, she started an affair with a pastor, and when that eventually ended, she never went back to church, any church, again. She didn't miss it, as it hadn't been real to start with. So I suppose that she could be called a religious narcissist.. one who went through the motions of religion but who had no real belief.

I'll tell you this woman is the best of the best but still falls painfully short. She claims to know Naricissism but when there's an ultra serious question about Narcissism she runs...I wonder why? lol....She speaks well but has no answers, so I'm convinced that she wants supply as she presence herself like Marry F*ing Maq.

Anyways, my pops is a pastor...formerely an Orthodox priest.

Think about it...its a really good racket if you're a Narcissist and a priest. That jackass, whom I wish to dismember for eternity, told me that I was "set apart by God...that I was special"...Omininous words the F*er, fully realizing exactly how "special" I was....

to develop a f*ing Pd that made you relate to nonbody, made you hated, made it "your job" to relate to others'....

little wonder why I sincerely wish to destroy each last one ######6 one of you and me and start over.
Euler
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Galliano » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:26 pm

I suppose when you look at it, Religion and politics are irresistable to Narcissists. Both give the opportunity to control. Sad that millions have died due to Narcissists backstabbing and scheming their way to the top. Maybe all our worldly woes are down to the destructive, self serving mindset of Narcissists? Just a thought...Maybe they should be rounded up and made to wear an N on their forehead? :wink: Crimes against humanity... :wink:
Sane - not Narcissist.
Galliano
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Postby BarrierReef » Sun Dec 05, 2010 2:06 pm

I gravitated towards Eastern religion. It worked out well, because nobody I knew had much knowledge of it, so I could play the expert. I could behave inconsistently and claim I was simply adapting to the situation. People thought I was spiritual and wise, even though I did none of the work, and I got to feel superior to the majority of the population.

It would've been the same regardless of the path. I would've been the worst kind of hypocritical, self-righteous believer no matter the religion.
And when they've given you their all
Some stagger and fall, after all it's not easy
Banging your heart against some mad bugger's wall.

Pink Floyd, "Outside the Wall"
BarrierReef
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Postby talula » Sun Dec 05, 2010 5:25 pm

Euler wrote:

I'll tell you this woman is the best of the best but still falls painfully short. She claims to know Naricissism but when there's an ultra serious question about Narcissism she runs...I wonder why? lol....She speaks well but has no answers, so I'm convinced that she wants supply as she presence herself like Marry F*ing Maq.

Hi. it wasn't clear. were you refering to Lifesong's mother, or myself?
talula
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Dove91801 » Sun Dec 05, 2010 6:12 pm

This has to be a case of full blown NPD:

http://articles.cnn.com/2007-02-16/us/m ... o?_s=PM:US
"Two loves have made two different cities: self-love hath made a terrestrial city, which rises in contempt of God; and Divine Love hath made a celestial one, which rises in contempt of self. The former glories in itself-the latter in God.”
-Saint Augustine, Father and Doctor of the Church
Dove91801
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:21 am

Postby LifeSong » Sun Dec 05, 2010 8:33 pm

talula wrote:
Euler wrote:I'll tell you this woman is the best of the best but still falls painfully short. She claims to know Naricissism but when there's an ultra serious question about Narcissism she runs...I wonder why? lol....She speaks well but has no answers, so I'm convinced that she wants supply as she presence herself like Marry F*ing Maq.

Hi. it wasn't clear. were you refering to Lifesong's mother, or myself?

Euler,
My purpose here is not to psychoanalyze you, or to offer therapy to you. I won't do that. And I've said that to you several times.
I don't have the answers for you. Sorry if that angers you.
But I have given time and attention to you, as an interested friend would. That's all I'm willing to offer to you.
It doesn't do any good to try to call me out as falling 'painfully short', or that I'm seeking some sort of 'supply' here.
Reducing me doesn't elevate you.
Turning on those who have attempted to be a friend to you, when they don't meet your unrealistic expectations, isn't a cool thing to do. And you know I have tried to be a friend to you.
LS
LifeSong
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:21 pm

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post