Our partner

Intelligence: The Narcissist

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: narcbolan, masquerade, VirginiaEsquire

Intelligence: The Narcissist

Postby VTheChaosTheoryV » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:15 pm

I have a strong theory in regarding the intelligence, and the Narcissist. The lecture of what i want to talk about is how the Narcissist is the hybrid amongst the general population, and what it is that makes him more "successful" than his immediate peers. I want to start by defining what 'intelligence' means by accurate definition:
"Capacity of mind, especially to understand principles, truths, facts or meanings, acquire knowledge, and apply it to practice; the ability to learn and comprehend; An entity that has such capacities". The intelligence of the individual is separate; (smart) "characterized by quickness and ease in learning". Some people, if not most believe that the higher overall IQ in the general population, the better off they are; in agreement with the substantially lower IQ (Retarded) in the general population, the worst off they are in production with society. Some people have boasted about their IQ being in the superior range(120-129), and feel they benefit best because of this score; anything less means their "dumb".
In fact, it is not quite like that at all. In society, we as homo sapiens learn to adapt to our environment, and through evolution, have done a magnificent job from our ancestors. We can all agree on as well, that we have adapted to an ever changing and dangerous climate as far as nature itself is concerned; the primate of man has not found the capability to withstand destruction of nature. So, the result of "intelligence" comes down to literally, how much can one "adapt", and "comprehend". The Theory of Relativity was more or less given credit to Albert Einstein, and although he never took an IQ test, the estimation of his intelligence was that of +160 Genius level. Most of us would love to be a genius. I would not, and I will explain why. Albert Einstein shook the foundation of physics by further studying into Riemannian geometry. Although he was considered a "genius", this was technically all that he was a genius in. His outside life was not all that impressive. He often forgot where he lived, and forgot the obvious things that would normally be required to function properly in society. This is a key characteristic in many out there who are in fact a genius. To function properly in society requires what we all know to be referred to as common sense. The substantially mentally retarded cannot function in society because they too cannot adapt and comprehend, which is why people have to be observant of their life style and to make important decisions for them.
The genius may see too much detail of the picture, and not see the picture as a whole, where as the retarded sees the whole picture, but cannot make out detail to understand what the picture means. My firm belief is that, if you have a normal range to above average range IQ, you are by far more adaptable than the genius himself in general.

The Narcissist

The Narcissist in my theory, are the hybrid of society today. They are by far the most adaptable in society. The lack of guilt/empathy and over inflated self-esteem is what makes him so capable. The "normal" person feels such guilt, and this causes them to try and revert their actions, and many times are unsuccessful to a point. Many people who feel guilty can succumb to depression, or mental breakdown, or worse;without Schizophrenia even! The Narcissist can make a rational judgment in terms of what he feels is right. He never makes a wrong choice in his eyes. He as well, rationalizes his behavior as a result of other peoples actions, thus being their fault. Now from an outside perspective this can sound insane, and immature. But for the fact that the Narcissist fuels his passion through his self worth, to achieve his goal in life. Overall, to feel god about oneself, and to have drive behind your motive is essential for being successful in society. Many people feel naturally inadequate, or feel they know their limits of what they can and cannot do. For the Narcissist it is the opposite. He drives himself to achieve anything he wants, and often succeeds, and can adapt to anything he puts himself in. He can change his behavior to meet certain requirements, he feels he is the smartest, he feels the most capable, and because of his success in achieving his goals, no matter how limited, he succeeds. The Narcissist also, does not have boundaries; where as the "normal" person puts a limit on what their comfort zone is. Since, he is ever changing, ever present, he does not feel guilty for his self esteem, and his chameleon like behavior. All of this, is literally what makes him most adaptable in society; because they have no limits to what they expect of themselves, as a result they push this on to others to see where their limit is. He can avoid the law, and in the background pull off schemes for self gratification, where as the normal would not even consider conflicting with the law, or attempting to gain personal gratification behind the scenes so to speak. To be blunt, the Narcissist is free in all the ways that you are not. As a result, he is ever struggling to succeed and become magnanimous. This behavior alone is healthy from a standpoint, because it keeps him from failing from guilt etc. Everyone in society can either fail, or succeed, there is no doubt. But imagine how much easier it would be to get by in life, without having to worrying about failing when nothing is your fault, to have an excellent portrayal of oneself in society feeling better than everyone, more intelligent amongst everyone etc. Normal people see this is delusional behavior, but this is only because they themselves cannot see how an individual can be so optimistic compared to everyone else. So, for the fact that the Narcissist may not be a genius, he is not mentally retarded either. Since he is most capable in adapting in society truly makes him the hybrid.
That concludes my theory on "Intelligence: The Narcissist", thank you for reading. :mrgreen:
Trust all the things I tell you are true, dress up in your best so I can be proud of you, and never believe I won't turn on you, and never believe I do this for you. You're leading me on again and I find it, yeah I like it, and I'm reeling in awe for sure, now I know it was given to me.
VTheChaosTheoryV
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Apr 20, 2014 1:24 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Intelligence: The Narcissist

Postby insincerity » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:26 pm

You could write the same thing about a psychopath and it would be about as accurate (ie. pointless and banal).
insincerity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:24 pm

Postby VTheChaosTheoryV » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:37 pm

The Narcissist, and the psychopath are in a sense to me anyways, one in the same; just two different oriented personality types. I'm not referring to "conscience", because that is irrelevant.
Trust all the things I tell you are true, dress up in your best so I can be proud of you, and never believe I won't turn on you, and never believe I do this for you. You're leading me on again and I find it, yeah I like it, and I'm reeling in awe for sure, now I know it was given to me.
VTheChaosTheoryV
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Normal? » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:17 pm

VTheChaosTheoryV wrote:Overall, to feel god about oneself, and to have drive behind your motive is essential for being successful in society. Many people feel naturally inadequate, or feel they know their limits of what they can and cannot do. For the Narcissist it is the opposite.

Herein lies the rub Chaos. The Narcissist is the epitome of 'natural inadequacy':- it is the fundamental dynamic in his life. It is this "inadequacy" that led him to adopt the rigid defence mechanisms of NPD in the first place.

Underneath the Grandiosity lies fundamental worthlessness.

VTheChaosTheoryV wrote:Since, he is ever changing, ever present, he does not feel guilty for his self esteem, and his chameleon like behavior.

Again - since the Narcissist has no self-esteem (in real terms) he has nothing to feel guilty for and concurrently, nothing to celebrate.

The Narcissist drive is to avoid, at all costs, the reminder of his original 'pain' or humiliation. Hence his many defence mechanisms. Since this is an impossibility (for pain, shame, powerlessness cannot be avoided forever) his successes are hollow and without value. The worthlessness remains whatever his achievement.

Saying that, Christopher Lasch argues that since the world is now 'Narcissistic' at core it will not be long until the Narcissist is the most effective beast on Earth. Sadly, the human race will probably have died out by then due to it's lack of empathy for each other and for the planet and because everyone will be too selfish to have any children or bring them up properly.
This should have been a noble creature:
A goodly frame of glorious elements,
Had they been wisely mingled; as it is,
It is an awful chaos—light and darkness,
And mind and dust, and passions and pure thoughts,
Mix’d, and contending without end or order,
All dormant or destructive.
Normal?
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby insincerity » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:30 pm

You do realize that your determination to label narcissist's lives as empty stems out of insecurity just as deep as theirs?
insincerity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Normal? » Fri Feb 26, 2010 7:42 pm

insincerity wrote:You do realize that your determination to label narcissist's lives as empty stems out of insecurity just as deep as theirs?

You do realise I do not have any determination to do anything? I base my comments above on the work of psychologists who have studied and analysed NPD for many years. They assert that it is caused by an early emotional trauma which necessitates the building of the false self in order to avoid further pain and humiliation. By repressing the true self a Narcissist thereby also destroys any hope of high self-esteem, stable identity or, by definition, a sense of achievement and 'wholeness'.

I doubt Masterson, Lowens, Horney, Millon et al conjured up this fantasy to combat their "deep" insecurity. If so they did a mighty fine job. :D
Normal?
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby insincerity » Fri Feb 26, 2010 8:14 pm

No, that part is patently obvious. It's the assignment of great value to the things that narcissist's obviously lack that is arbitrary and stems from your insecurity. Why is it necessary to feel "whole"? Narcissists gain a lot of advantages through their defensive mechanisms, why does anyone have the correct perspective to value what they lose over what they gain?
insincerity
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Normal? » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:27 pm

insincerity wrote:Narcissists gain a lot of advantages through their defensive mechanisms, why does anyone have the correct perspective to value what they lose over what they gain?

I'm not sure but I'd say that the majority of psychologists have a fairly valid perspective on the value and effectiveness of those defensive mechanisms. Lest we forget these are rigid and unchangeable - they do not develop or evolve over time but remain 'fixed'. They render the Narcissist unable to adapt:- a facet of the disorder that I do not find advantageous (nor would Darwin).

Narcissists suffer from the twin mechanisms of Grandiosity and Depression. Neither appear to make them 'happy' or should I say 'content'. When they do present for therapy it is with feelings of helplessness, possibly a consequence of the realisation that the pain they try so ardently to outrun will always catch them eventually. Not a situation I'm aiming for personally.

The Narcissist is driven to achieve of course. For those who do not (and there are many for their fantasies of superiority are just that, fantasies) only a life of failure awaits. For those that do - the achievement never 'sates' the Narcissist or provides satisfaction. Again - I do not believe this inevitable yet compulsive disappointment is advantageous to any individual.

Instable relationships, anhedonia, hypersensitivity to criticism, paranoia and uncontrollable rage are - so far as I know - not particularly sought after experiences nor do they support emotional, philosophical or intellectual development. These three are, presumably, what the majority of us are seeking in life. I would hazard a guess that fundamental worthlessness doesn't really help with any of them either.

insincerity wrote:It's the assignment of great value to the things that narcissist's obviously lack that is arbitrary and stems from your insecurity.

I wouldn't call it arbitrary (see above). It is of course culturally defined (subjective) but my values are also a consequence of my experience (objective). I know what I like and I know why I like it. Fortunately I also know who I am and what holds meaning for me. If I were ungracious however I might suggest that your insecurity stems from the fact that you don't understand for a moment what that means. Thus you choose to denigrate my values thereby promoting your own 'lack' as some form of anarchic and unique position - a position of superiority. Bless you. As far as I can see that position is based only on your devaluation of my values and not on any robust argument for the benefit of those of the Narcissist.
Normal?
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby VTheChaosTheoryV » Fri Feb 26, 2010 11:17 pm

...Norman, at the end you said "bless you." So, who sneezed?
VTheChaosTheoryV
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Burgerkid8 » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:41 am

VTheChaosTheoryV wrote:...Norman, at the end you said "bless you." So, who sneezed?

Hey, that is my term of endearment for her. Make one up yourself!
"The human must become an artist, and his art is his own view of life and of himself. He must create value for himself to fill the void that the intrinsic lack of value leaves." - Nietzsche
Burgerkid8
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post