Our partner

What age does this personality disorder begin?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

What age does this personality disorder begin?

Postby canyouhelp3 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 2:38 am

Can it begin at any age, or does it usually begin at 18 or early adulthood? Like can someone start having all the symptoms in their late 20s or 30s?
canyouhelp3
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 11:51 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What age does this personality disorder begin?

Postby dbx » Thu Jan 14, 2010 4:24 am

This is dependent on the person himself, but in most cases, it begins in early adolescence. But, there are cases when it begins earlier or later than usual
dbx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:51 pm

Postby two_roads » Thu Jan 14, 2010 9:59 am

I'd say narcissism is very present among young adolescents. They still have egocentric and superficial personalities and haven't matured fully. It can be an acute thing for that period, or it can extend during the rest of their lives, that depends how they will grow as persons.
two_roads
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Phoenixrising81704 » Thu Jan 14, 2010 11:44 am

3-7, the normal stage of selfishness dosn't fade as it does in normals. 20's.. no, it would be something more acute than a PD.. it takes a lifetime to create the false self.
Because here the victims become the monsters and need the help.
Phoenixrising81704
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:51 am

Postby VTheChaosTheoryV » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:01 am

i dont think there is an actual age for it, i think it evolves into what it becomes. . . like maybe at a young age a person starts exhibiting some of the symptoms but nothing too serious. as the person matures more then more symptoms persist and get worse? that's my guess
Last edited by VTheChaosTheoryV on Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Trust all the things I tell you are true, dress up in your best so I can be proud of you, and never believe I won't turn on you, and never believe I do this for you. You're leading me on again and I find it, yeah I like it, and I'm reeling in awe for sure, now I know it was given to me.
VTheChaosTheoryV
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby SmileXx » Sun Jan 17, 2010 12:17 am

Directly from the DSM-IV

Specific Age and Gender Features
Narcissistic traits may be particularly common in adolescents and do not necessarily indicate that the individual till go on to have Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Individuals with Narcissistic Personality Disorder. Individuals with Narcissistic Personality Disorder may have special difficulties adjusting to the onset of physical and occupational limitations that are inherant in the aging process. Of those diagnosed with Narcissistic Personality Disorder, 50%-75% are male.

Translated, that means that while kids will exhibit narcissism, they aren't necessarily mentally ill.
Most shrinks try not to diagnose until the age 18, as a general rule, as that provides enough time to track a "pattern of relevance" as evidence of diagnosis.
crimsonandclover wrote:Sometimes the greatest source is from within. And accepting whats in there.

veloruia wrote:We all have a bit of Smile in us.

onebravegirl wrote:Shine on and Smile on my beautiful 2D pal.

Da Rulz
SmileXx
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:51 am
Blog: View Blog (4)

Postby VTheChaosTheoryV » Sun Jan 17, 2010 5:13 pm

I dont see a personality disorder qualifying as a "mental illness". A mental disorder or mental illness is a psychological or behavioral pattern that occurs in an individual and is thought to cause distress or disability that is not expected as part of normal development or culture. although it seems likely, i dont believe it to be such. Personality disorders cause the person to behave in a certain manner but does not cause them distress to where they are impaired from society. Unless you become "depressed" or develop anxiety of the sort, then it becomes a mental illness because it impairs your daily living. a personality disorder in itself isn't a mental illness. Everyone goes through a period of distress in their life with everyday living and trying to deal with situations, its psychological stress, its normal, but still doesn't imply a mental illness. Not until an outside force is impacted upon an individual...and just because a personality disorder is evident, does not bring on depression or anxiety, or schizophrenia for example, its all according to the person, their genetics, and how they were brought up.
Trust all the things I tell you are true, dress up in your best so I can be proud of you, and never believe I won't turn on you, and never believe I do this for you. You're leading me on again and I find it, yeah I like it, and I'm reeling in awe for sure, now I know it was given to me.
VTheChaosTheoryV
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby realitycheque » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:23 pm

VTheChaosTheoryV wrote:I dont see a personality disorder qualifying as a "mental illness".
Unless you become "depressed" or develop anxiety of the sort, then it becomes a mental illness because it impairs your daily living.

The Anxiety-based PDs counter your distinction. They do significantly impact/impair daily living including inability to hold jobs or finishing university or maintaining an intimate relationship. I'm curious what reasoning do you have to reconcile this?
realitycheque
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 7:51 am

Postby VTheChaosTheoryV » Sun Jan 17, 2010 6:33 pm

I just think the personality disorder itself is not a mental illness because it doesnt impair you from society, but yes if you had anxiety,depression, whatever along with that, then yes you could then qualify it as a mental illness. Does that make sense? i cant really explain it any other way.
VTheChaosTheoryV
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby crystal_richardson » Tue Dec 28, 2010 4:11 am

canyouhelp3 wrote:Can it begin at any age, or does it usually begin at 18 or early adulthood? Like can someone start having all the symptoms in their late 20s or 30s?

What age does a normal personality begin?
crystal_richardson
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post