Our partner

What age does this personality disorder begin?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: What age does this personality disorder begin?

Postby Euler » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:45 am

I'd say narcissism is very present among young adolescents. They still have egocentric and superficial personalities and haven't matured fully. It can be an acute thing for that period, or it can extend during the rest of their lives, that depends how they will grow as persons.

for sure, but that's because teenagers tend to think that they're invincible and that all adults are idiots. Keep in mind they've only a few years with abstrarct thinking and its not fully develolped...partially explaining their short-term planning.

Honestly, I can pinpoint early...very early periods in my life where I knew the PD was devloping and evolving. I had a full personality exam as a kid, and my impulsive scores were through the roof. Just because a PD can't be diagnosed until 18 doesn't necessarily mean that a kid can sort of be pre-treated before the PD crystalizes...if nothing else too alleviate the extremity of the traits. Not to mention that it might 'plant the seed'...that the PD'd person might, in fact, actually develop a PD and they can get educated much earlier in life.
Euler
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: What age does this personality disorder begin?

Postby bja999 » Tue Dec 28, 2010 10:36 pm

My sister is stuck at age 6 or 8... about the time she realized that my parents had to divide up their attention with the rest of us. At which point, she resented my parents loving the rest of us, even said our parents were mean and never loved her... but what she meant is that they offered her the same love they gave the rest of their kids and that was not good enough for her. She wanted all their love, not some shared love.

If she was told to "be nice" she'd throw a rage and scare the whole family, she'd talk rudely and be mean to show my parents that she didn't have to be nice, that she did not have to mind them, she was fine just the way she was and they were stupid to try to tell her how to act, that they were stupid that they did not see she was better than everyone at everything... she totally resented any Parenting my parents tried to give her and later said they were mean to her by suggesting she change in any way. That in discussing changing her behavior was such an insult and put down for any child to ever have to bear from their parents... and the rest of us were being told to sit up straight, don't talk and eat at the same time, share our toys, be polite to adults, etc...

so by the time she was 10-12, we were all walking on egg shells... with my Mom saying "don't upset your sister"....
bja999
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post