Our partner

narcs reinvent themselves for supply?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

narcs reinvent themselves for supply?

Postby smilee » Fri May 08, 2009 3:30 pm

Have you ever noticed if a Narc changes physical or material things all at once when on short or nonexixtent supply? The one I know I have to see publically 2x a week{prefer not to say why].They had just bought a new truck, then less than a year later gets another new one, exact model, but a slight shade darker, got gray contacts for their brown eyes[which, by the way makes them look like a werewolf] & started growing their hair longer. This person is in their 40's . I personally know their latest interest {who was 13 years younger] dumped them. When my friend asked" Why the new truck?" their answer was," It matches my eyes'. :roll:
smilee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 7:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby cheshire » Fri May 08, 2009 8:09 pm

i don't know that i've ever done this. i could imagine another narcissist doing it, though. i tend to slip in and out of different scenes; mostly to break up the monotony of life. and i'll look for supply in any scene i enter. but i don't know that i've ever changed just to get supply. i have a fairly flexible self-image as it is. i tend to stick out in a crowd and use this to my advantage. i'm not much for material things (cars, phones, etc). too much time, energy, and money is required to keep up. a lot of people i know seem to have a new "toy" every time i see them, though.
cheshire
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: narcs reinvent themselves for supply?

Postby Nanday » Sat May 09, 2009 5:57 am

smilee wrote:Have you ever noticed if a Narc changes physical or material things all at once when on short or nonexixtent supply? The one I know I have to see publically 2x a week{prefer not to say why].They had just bought a new truck, then less than a year later gets another new one, exact model, but a slight shade darker, got gray contacts for their brown eyes[which, by the way makes them look like a werewolf] & started growing their hair longer. This person is in their 40's . I personally know their latest interest {who was 13 years younger] dumped them. When my friend asked" Why the new truck?" their answer was," It matches my eyes'. :roll:

Mine would change everything and anything if his supply was threatened or disappeared - cars, clothes, jobs, where he lived. I had to struggle constantly to stop him uprooting me and the kids. Once he came home and announced that our house was a "dump" and we needed to move. News to me. I liked it and still do, especially now he's not in it.

I think of him as an actor. Whatever role he needs to play, whatever costume he needs to put on or props are required, he'll do it. Everybody he meets is potential audience.

The only thing he could never manage to change was his physical appearance. Over the years he just kept getting flabbier with a big spare tire around his middle. He took up personal training for a while but got in a big fight with his trainer and within months was back to the old level of unfitness. But then, he seems to think he's perennially young and handsome which is an unreal image he has convinced himself he has.
It is not love that should be depicted as blind, but self-love.
- Voltaire
Nanday
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby danyalexis122 » Sat May 09, 2009 10:58 am

I change all the time when I'm bored. So much so that when I don't see someone for a little while then see them again, they often don't recognise me. I've been told I'm like a chameleon.

I'm especially bad for altering my physical appearance. However, I don't do this because I feel threatened or like supply is running out. I do it because within a few weeks of a certain style I feel I've lost impact and I no longer feel beautiful when I look at myself - so I change to maintain that feeling of self-love.
danyalexis122
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Postby Sabratha » Sat May 09, 2009 3:08 pm

Nah, I'm pretty stable when looks are concerned. I can wear my favorite jackets for many years and never get bored of them.
I'm self diagnosed with a very severe and incurable case of "being Sabratha".
Peptron wrote:Sabratha, you do not count, as you are a freak of nature. You go through life with cheat codes.
Sabratha
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby DeathBoat » Mon May 11, 2009 5:53 am

The only time I'd change would be either out of boredom or change in order to get someone or something I really wanted and couldn't get (as successfully) without the change. Aside from those two situations, I stay the same.
DeathBoat
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:38 pm

re-invent yourself

Postby smilee » Mon May 11, 2009 3:30 pm

Nanday, that sounds so familiar.The narc I know WAS a family friend. One family member, who is very muscular , 21 years younger & went to the same gym tried for awhile to give personal pointers on how to get the most from a workout. Well, this narc got mad , they argued & the narc said to me when I asked why they stopped working out together, " No one likes to be controlled".Sad to say they are no longer friends because the arguing seemed to escalate after that.
smilee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: re-invent yourself

Postby Nanday » Mon May 11, 2009 9:42 pm

smilee wrote:Nanday, that sounds so familiar.The narc I know WAS a family friend. One family member, who is very muscular , 21 years younger & went to the same gym tried for awhile to give personal pointers on how to get the most from a workout. Well, this narc got mad , they argued & the narc said to me when I asked why they stopped working out together, " No one likes to be controlled".Sad to say they are no longer friends because the arguing seemed to escalate after that.

My experience with my ex was that he would only accept advice from those he himself decided were worthy - in other words, he picked mentors, always older men or replacement father figures, and very few of those - only 4 as I recall over 30 years. Problem is now that he approaches 60, he's running out of men 20 years older to take on that role. They were always successful business men with forceful personalities. I think he believed if he latched onto them he would absorb some of their power.

As far as advice from everybody else, he took it as a chance to be combative and to win, which was his stated purpose in life.
It is not love that should be depicted as blind, but self-love.
- Voltaire
Nanday
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Re: narcs reinvent themselves for supply?

Postby NotMyUsualUserName » Tue May 19, 2009 2:15 am

smilee wrote:Have you ever noticed if a Narc changes physical or material things all at once when on short or nonexixtent supply? The one I know I have to see publically 2x a week{prefer not to say why].They had just bought a new truck, then less than a year later gets another new one, exact model, but a slight shade darker, got gray contacts for their brown eyes[which, by the way makes them look like a werewolf] & started growing their hair longer. This person is in their 40's . I personally know their latest interest {who was 13 years younger] dumped them. When my friend asked" Why the new truck?" their answer was," It matches my eyes'. :roll:

Didn't bother reading all the other posts, but yes, it's very much true.

New things that show myself off make me happy, keep me one step above everyone else in the stairway to... haha, no, not heaven, but to being better then you :).
All I know is no one dies
I'm still confusing love with need.
NotMyUsualUserName
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby retardstrength » Tue May 19, 2009 9:14 am

As long as my boyfriend and I have been together (a year), he's never reinvented himself. There are, however, many extreme sides to him. He will go out to the bar for months on end with friends, but then decide to be a hermit and condemn those friends for going through life however they go about it. Other times, he'll get on a "lets go nice places" kick and only want to surround himself with classier folk in stuffy establishments.

Often times, it seems like he doesn't know whether to be a hardcore hooligan or an accomplished gentleman...and he can never be both at the same time.
retardstrength
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post