Our partner

Dave Pelzer and his books

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: narcbolan, masquerade, Esquire

Dave Pelzer and his books

Postby shivers » Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:55 am

The Trilogy by Dave Pelzer is rivetting reading.

A Child Called "It"
The Lost Boy
A Man Named Dave

are about horrendous child abuse of young Dave Pelzer, his rescue into the foster system and eventually his life as an adult achieving Elite Air Force status, and being awarded Young Person of America and even Young Person of The World award. He's met several Presidents too.

Such an inspiring story from someone who could have just as easily ended up committing suicide or drinking and drugging himself into oblivion.

His case, in 1973, was the 3rd worst reported in California at that time.

www.davepelzer.com

It's relevant to this forum because in A Man Named Dave he gives many examples of the legacy that is created when a mother with NPD raises a daughter with NPD and how that was played out on her 5 sons. Horrific and a shame to society that his mother was never charged for what she did.

I have read the statistics that a daughter of an NPD mother are not too optimistic for her emerging from the clutches of her NPD mother unscathed.

I'm truly inspired by Dave Pelzer and his story. I'm so glad I found the books and I feel that having purchased the packed Trilogy I have contributed to supporting him in a small way.
shivers
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:30 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby shivers » Sun Jul 22, 2007 1:04 pm

Yesterday there was a reply post here by Lifesong.

This is how I noticed Rubystar having disappeared from the forum, I hope Lifesong has not gone too... :(
shivers
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby PQ » Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:38 pm

I've read parts of the book. The mother doesn't seem NPD, honestly. Just alcoholic. I'm not certain of this, as I haven't touched it in a long time, but consider both possibilities.
PQ
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby shivers » Mon Jul 23, 2007 3:55 am

If you'd have read the sections in the Man Called Dave, you'd see it. He mentions how he found out his mother wasn't a Nurse, although she tells everyone she was = fantasy and story telling.

The details given of the dialogue that comes from the grandmother are very typical NPD lacking in empathy. He mentions several times how he'd ring Grandmother about a death in the family and all she ever raved on about was how bad everything was for her to cope with.

From his mother or his grandmother, never a 'sorry' out of them, they both played the victim role, his mother especially was not tapped into reality, she used pain and fear to illicit adoration from her children, inflicted buckets of shame on her kids so that she could somehow be and feel better for it (typical sign of a malignant narc) and I could go on, but time is restrictive.

From the examples of his experiences with the interactions between his mother and grandmother and what their perceptions were of everything that happened - smacks of NPD. It's clear that many of the incidences he recalls in his later book (A Man Called Dave) can be directly related and translated back to the NPD criteria. These weren't so clear in the first 2 books.
shivers
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post