Our partner

Do you feel that you have an identity?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Do you feel that you have an identity?

Postby MeAgain » Thu Dec 22, 2016 1:47 am

An empty shell washed up on a desolate shore! I'm the archetype man without qualities. Yes, my disorder is my identity. Image is everything to me.
30mg Citalopram SSRI Antidepressant
40mg Propranolol Beta Blocker

A mere imp of Satan
MeAgain
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Zavatee » Thu Dec 22, 2016 8:44 pm

Mamba wrote:
Am I a French Catholic or an Eastern European Jew? Am I both at once? Which one should I identify with more and what should I tell people I am being that I believe religion is BS? Do people really believe I'm not white enough even though my skin is white as snow and my eyes are blue? Should I tell people I'm a French Jew? Should I say I'm basically Catholic because I was raised by my Catholic half of the family for the majority of my childhood? Should I identify more as Western or Eastern European when I'm both? I ask myself these and many other related questions all the time as part of my inner identity conflict and it gives me a sense of being a split identity which really means I don't have an identity.

There are other reasons I have an unstable identity but my multicultural background is definitely one of the most prominent sources of my identity problem.

Interesting...this made me think about my upbringing. I was raised to think I was Paris Hilton, only I wasn't. My upper-middle class family, desperately trying to appear wealthy, spent years grooming me to think that I was more than special, buying my compliance with money and gifts, but most of the time ignoring me. Kids in school picked on me mercilessly because I was different. The teachers hated me (and bullied me too) because my Dad was on the school board and had many enemies. I grew up thinking that I was simultaneously beautiful and ugly, intelligent and stupid, catered to and rejected, important and unimportant.

I have experience with identity confusion about money and social class as well. I was born into a fairly wealthy two parent household and had a very privileged and comfortable childhood for the first 7 years of my life. Then when I was 7 my parents divorced, my father left, and I fell into poverty and it took my family a few years to recover and become middle class as a one parent household. So I was rich, poor, and middle class all in the same childhood and each experience was very different and it's hard to come to terms with my social status. As an adult I've been both financially well off and living in poverty, and at this point I'm a working class person so I've been through the whole spectrum of social class throughout my life.
Zavatee
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Auxiliary11 » Fri Dec 23, 2016 5:10 pm

Yes but it's very weak which is why I would class myself as having an "identity disturbance"; during periods when I have no supply, I actually become depersonalized and it feels like "I" am about to disappear into oblivion, now that's terror.
self dx. pdd-nos (level 1); covert narcissism w/ avoidant traits; social phobia; inertia.

INFP; dismissive/fearful-avoidant & highly sensitive person

"Life, a sexually transmitted, terminal disease."
"you built up a world of magic, because your real life is tragic"
Auxiliary11
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 8:07 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Previous

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies