Our partner

Marital/Relationship status and later life

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Marital/Relationship status and later life

Postby HR_p » Fri Oct 14, 2016 6:17 pm

In the US, approximately 4-5% of men over 55 years of age have never been married. A similar statistic holds true for women.

I'm not sure if this is a number that would be similar in other Western cultures. In addition, I'm not sure if the number is overstated relative to actual relationship status, as it is tied to the legal definition of marriage outlined by the Social Security Administration https://www.ssa.gov/policy/docs/ssb/v67n2/v67n2p25.html .

Since a relationship with the outcome of marriage is impacted by many of the issues discussed in this forum, would it be stretching logic to imagine that many of these singles are single due to extreme personality traits or disorders? Would economically logical humans distance themselves from marriage, if capable of marriage, knowing its value?

One of the fascinating (to me) areas of research in this century is late stage life quality. Older workers - those between the ages of 50 and 70 - will become increasingly important. A concern is that singles incur not only an economic disadvantage later in life, but a health disadvantage. I guess where I'm going with this is that perhaps more information about the true societal cost of personality disorders could go a long way in developing programs for early intervention and treatment.
HR_p
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 7:38 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Marital/Relationship status and later life

Postby dune 1 » Fri Oct 14, 2016 10:15 pm

It's probably true that many of those with mental health issues either prefer to live alone, or find it very difficult to attract or keep a mate.

But early treatment will not instill the ability to form a genuine loving bond with someone if this is lacking, or the wish to live with a lifelong partner, if someone is solitary by nature.
dune 1
Consumer 2
Consumer 2

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post