Our partner

My interesting thoughts of hoovering

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: My interesting thoughts of hoovering

Postby whichway » Sat Oct 15, 2016 7:11 am

Agree to disagree. I hope that over time your own experience will prove those psychologists and therapists to be misinformed. But I agree that you should listen to what your gut is telling you.
Undiagnosed Non :lol:
whichway
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:16 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby narc_magnet » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:27 pm

whichway wrote:In fact it actually presents a positive outlook: "Improvements can be related to the presence of corrective life events involving achievement, relationships, and disillusionment. NPD patients who experience actual positive life achievements have less need for grandiosity and fantasies of superiority or exaggerated talent. Those with NPD who were able to be in long term, close, committed relationships appear to have less need to behave in ways that are maladaptively ego defensive: devaluing or exploiting others, arrogance, and entitlement demands. If the person is in a supportive relationship, self-esteem is improved. Finally, disappointments that challenge the narcissist's worldview that reveal the incongruence of the narcissist's self-opinion with the way the world actually is serve to reorient the narcissist's world view to one that is more congruent with and accepting of the way things actually are."

This doesn't tell me that NPD is curable. This tells me that pwNPD who are able to be successful in life pursuits will have less need to resort to NPD behaviors. Chicken or egg? Perhaps this view represents a subset of pwNPD who are milder on the spectrum to begin with.

I'm with Jasmer, I don't believe NPD is curable. I do believe improvements can be made and you can be a happier pwNPD.
narc_magnet
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 4:16 am

Postby whichway » Sun Oct 16, 2016 11:20 pm

narc_magnet wrote:This doesn't tell me that NPD is curable. This tells me that pwNPD who are able to be successful in life pursuits will have less need to resort to NPD behaviors. Chicken or egg? Perhaps this view represents a subset of pwNPD who are milder on the spectrum to begin with.

I'm with Jasmer, I don't believe NPD is curable. I do believe improvements can be made and you can be a happier pwNPD.

I guess it depends on how we're defining "curable". Either way I appreciate both yours and Jasmine's input on the matter.
Undiagnosed Non :lol:
whichway
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 5:16 am

Previous

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post