Our partner

Theories about the subtypes of narcissism

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Theories about the subtypes of narcissism

Postby Ladywith3cats » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:16 pm

This is interesting. I'm a Myers-Briggs INFJ, which does seem to correlate with either BPD or cerebral covert/fragile narcissism. No way is Sam Vaknin INFJ, even though he does display borderline traits and has sudden emotional outbursts (but only of anger from what I can tell). I'd definitely put him in the T camp. The rest is right though. I think F is definitely more covert, T more overt.

I agree with somatic narcissism correlating with the Sensing type rather than the Intuitive.
HPD would most likely correlate with the Extroverted Sensing Feeling type (ESFJ or ESFP)
BPD/AvPD; PTSD; Dysthymia; GAD; NPD (fragile/covert type); Seasonal Affective Disorder; Myers-Briggs INFJ (I know the rainbow colors make me look like an HPD. Deal with it).
Ladywith3cats
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:00 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby lyratheowl » Fri Aug 26, 2016 10:45 pm

Ladywith3cats wrote:This is interesting. I'm a Myers-Briggs INFJ, which does seem to correlate with either BPD or cerebral covert/fragile narcissism. No way is Sam Vaknin INFJ, even though he does display borderline traits and has sudden emotional outbursts (but only of anger from what I can tell). I'd definitely put him in the T camp. The rest is right though. I think F is definitely more covert, T more overt.

I agree with somatic narcissism correlating with the Sensing type rather than the Intuitive.
HPD would most likely correlate with the Extroverted Sensing Feeling type (ESFJ or ESFP)

Sam Vaknin could be an INFJ actually although he definitely doesn't strike me as one straight away. I don;t know much about him but i've seen a video of him and he does come across as a T. Perhaps INTJ. But I do know that INFJ have many sides to them and I've seen what an INFJ psychopath looks like so anything is possible...

Yes HPD would likely correspond to ESFP or ESFJ for sure. Also could imagine ENFP and ENFJ as HPD especially ENFP. Those types both have high Se anyway and act like Sensing types a lot of the time.

I don't see how F means more covert and T more overt. I thought that was more just introvert as covert and extrovert as overt.
lyratheowl
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am

Postby dibita » Mon Sep 12, 2016 1:52 pm

Inquisitor wrote:I could see INTP and INFP correlating with Covert Cerebral NPD though.

Curious about your reasoning regarding INTP and INFP correlating with covert narcissism? By no means am I an expert, pains me to say this ( :lol: ) but from my limited understanding, INFP is probably the least likely type to have NPD out of all the introverts. Due to the nature of how Introverted Feeling works, even unhealthy, can make one self-indulgent but still self-referential, albeit authentically so. Fi is driven by deeply held values, even unhealthy Fi will still have some beliefs about self and others that are anathema to NPD, which features shifting values and morals. They're more likely to have HPD, AvPD or BPD than any type of NPD.

As for INTP, that type seems more related to schizotypal or schizoid disorders. Think Kramer from Seinfeld.

With the way unhealthy Introverted Intuition and Extraverted Feeling/Thinking work, it seems more plausible that there is a stronger connection between INTJ/INFJ and NPD.
dx NPD with OCPD features, SUD (cocaine)
dibita
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 12:00 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby HubbaBubba » Sat Oct 01, 2016 2:38 am

I know infp's seem unlikely to become narcissistic.. but both me and my sister are infp's I know that because what I read about infp was like reading about myself. But the disorder which im sure I have is just a defense mechanism, and I'm pretty sure it's what happens to you throughout your life that makes you narcissistic and whatever your personality is doesn't have much to do with it. Even the nice and likeable infp can be driven crazy under the right circumstances.. though some become borderlines while others become narcissistic or dissociative.. this may have to do with genetics. Anyways..

-- Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:39 am --

I know infp's seem unlikely to become narcissistic.. but both me and my sister are infp's I know that because what I read about infp was like reading about myself. But the disorder which im sure I have is just a defense mechanism, and I'm pretty sure it's what happens to you throughout your life that makes you narcissistic and whatever your personality is doesn't have much to do with it. Even the nice and likeable infp can be driven crazy under the right circumstances.. though some become borderlines while others become narcissistic or dissociative.. this may have to do with genetics. Anyways..

-- Sat Oct 01, 2016 3:40 am --

HubbaBubba
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:00 am

Previous

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post