Our partner

Narcissism in Film and on TV

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Narcissism in Film and on TV

Postby easyfromhere » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:47 am

I read this earlier, and wasn't sure whether to respond or not... but will. I thought it was pretty hurtful to be honest.

This is a perfect example of how not to speak to a person with Npd, or anyone really, unless you want to get them offside.
It checks all the boxes.... I could detail an alternative that would get the message across in a pleasant manner for all parties ... but wont unless asked of course.

My partner, I think is very similar personality style to Solstice.
He would give me silent treatment for at least a month if I spoke to him in this manner.
So yeah, consider hanging about Solstice, ditto what Bitty says, big sqishy hug to you...
All people are fragile btw
:D
easyfromhere
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 am
Blog: View Blog (5)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby narcbolan » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:19 pm

Well, you are of course welcome to your opinion. However, moderators of this site are here mainly to oversee and maintian the running of the site. We are not counsellors or therapists or carers, some moderators may have different styles to others but we are all volunteers and the day to day running of the site is always the most important thing. A moderator will reasonably assume that when a member joins this forum that they have read the forum rules and guidelines on how to post. When they don't, which often happens, sometimes we are tolerant, sometimes we are not.

Telling an experienced moderator who has also been in active recovery for over ten years from all sorts of issues including having NPD that they don't know how to speak to someone with NPD is a bit of a fallacy. If your way of coping with your husband is to avoid any direct confrontation in order spare yourself the silent treatment then that's up to you. But you're not helping him, you're just managing him.

Soltice overreacted to an instruction from someone who was in the right because he percieved it as an injury. It was neither an injury nor was it hurtful. No one is going to be able to help him use the forum properly if they pussyfoot around him. Sometimes N's need a bit of directness otherwise you don't get through. In this case I hope I did and he can get past this and carry on posting and making good use of the forum.
narcbolan
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:38 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby solstice1962 » Tue Jul 14, 2015 9:49 pm

I've settled down now. I need the ego supply after all. Sorry everyone (no BS). As regards Sam Vaknin. I think he's right you know. He speaks to hundreds of Ns. I could spend two years in expensive ego repair therapy. Find a "normal" woman to have a relationship with and screw it all up with a few silly remarks. I've done it before with a mild N woman. I injured her ego knowingly on several occasions and couldn't say sorry. I know she's a wreak after three N relationships. I'm watching a woman crying outside a restaurant now. She's trying to reason with her husband. If I came down to her level what would happen to me after a few set backs? Back to square one. This is why Ns stick together. We can't deal with people who have stronger egos. I hope I'll find another middle aged CN to settle down with. In middle age, she should have grown out of her codependent traits and abandonment anxiety. If we fed each other's egos, I don't see why we couldn't be "happy". My parents are a lot better than they were when I was young. They've been together for 56 years. I'll stick to the culture of narcissism in future. It's the thing that most interests me. If you don't mind, I'll reference my posts with an occasional YouTube clip. For the benefit of the Normals reading these posts. My view has always been that in the past everyone had a big ego. The past must have been a dreadful place to have been Human. In some areas of the World today, that is still the case. Now I'm sounding like some looney lefty Empath! Humans were no more intended to be happy than rabbits were!
In the words of the song: "I am what I am. And, what I am needs no excuses..."
solstice1962
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby easyfromhere » Wed Jul 15, 2015 1:31 am

narcbolan wrote:Well, you are of course welcome to your opinion. However, moderators of this site are here mainly to oversee and maintian the running of the site. We are not counsellors or therapists or carers, some moderators may have different styles to others but we are all volunteers and the day to day running of the site is always the most important thing. A moderator will reasonably assume that when a member joins this forum that they have read the forum rules and guidelines on how to post. When they don't, which often happens, sometimes we are tolerant, sometimes we are not.

Telling an experienced moderator who has also been in active recovery for over ten years from all sorts of issues including having NPD that they don't know how to speak to someone with NPD is a bit of a fallacy. If your way of coping with your husband is to avoid any direct confrontation in order spare yourself the silent treatment then that's up to you. But you're not helping him, you're just managing him.

Soltice overreacted to an instruction from someone who was in the right because he percieved it as an injury. It was neither an injury nor was it hurtful. No one is going to be able to help him use the forum properly if they pussyfoot around him. Sometimes N's need a bit of directness otherwise you don't get through. In this case I hope I did and he can get past this and carry on posting and making good use of the forum.

Yes, you are right of course.... i realise its a voluntary job and takes time and effort and you are doing that job to the best of your abilities. So apologies if you felt offended.

About me.... well I can comment on that, I don't try and 'help' my partner, in fact I am much less helpful, which has resulted in him being helpful to me, I manage me and what comes out of my mouth and see him as an adult that will 'help himself' if he chooses.
He's smiling a lot, I don't get 'discarded' (surprisingly its become financially rewarding, keeps giving me money and stuff, takes me and kids out, no silent stuff, have to resist telling him to just shut up sometimes, lol).
Having dinner all together other nite, the vibe was nice, relaxed, happy "we're doing normal family".... (no big deal to most people but he seemed pretty stoked).

We have 'little fights' and don't avoid conflicts.
10 years and I change what comes out of my mouth and now we have a nice family in the space of three months.
I put my mind to something, I do it.... discard all that 'doesn't work' opens up possibility of 'what might work'. Put a timeline on it and see what happens. Logic.
I've shared some of this in my blog and another site.... thought someone (well there has been 'one') might consider or show interest .... but no... the 'victims' not interested (enjoy complaining too much and see themselves as 'wonderous emphatic beings with beautiful 'cores', just apples really) and the "npd" people seem uninterested, which is ok.
People want to believe what they will, thats fine. I'll just enjoy my life with my sweetie and kids. I'm happy and not 'door mattish', he's 'happy and can be himself' (occassionally moody/distracted) and the kids are happy.... really, its a no brainer. I'll keep doing what I'm doing (very little actually.... kinda small input with big gains, like planting a seed).

:D
easyfromhere
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:38 am
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Truth too late » Wed Jul 15, 2015 2:32 am

solstice1962 wrote:Thanks for the narcissistic injury. I'm over it now.

I admire how you can bounce back and discuss what was going on with you.
I never seen you looking so bad my funky one / You tell me that your superfine mind has come undone (Steely Dan, Any Major Dude)
Truth too late
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 8:38 am
Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Demiana » Wed Jul 15, 2015 3:39 am

yeah, online. But in real life, doesn't occur with such alacrity, if at all.. :lol:
Demiana
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 11:38 pm

Postby solstice1962 » Wed Jul 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Thanks TTL. We live and learn! I'll keep to the rules from now on. I'd rather that not happen again. I bit the bullet today and made an appointment with my doctor regarding my moodiness. Does anyone know what the usual treatment is?
solstice1962
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby solstice1962 » Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:24 pm

DVD box sets that speak entirely to the Narcissistic Condition.

House of Cards (US & UK versions)
The Royals
Mel Brooks
Breaking Bad
Two Pints of Lager & a Packet of Crisps
The Tudors
The Comic Strip Presents
Jason King

Those are a few that come to mind. Any other suggestions?
solstice1962
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby NARC-ANON » Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:58 pm

Hello new member here

Dating myself but as a young teen remember watching the Million Dollar Movie on TV would show a film several times a day ALL week long. I related so much to Natalie Woods character as the scapegoat in the movie "GYPSY" the drama, chaos, splitting siblings (divide and conquer) I believe the mother played by Rosalind Russell...fits in the descrip pretty dang good

I thought you did it for me mama

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCrFPG3PDBs
NARC-ANON
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Thu Apr 18, 2024 7:38 am

Postby solstice1962 » Sun Jul 19, 2015 12:17 pm

That red rose of the Borderline N again. I wonder if that's where it originated? A couple to add to the box set list.

The IT Crowd
Hannibal

People in the film and TV business have been laying it out for all to see since the days of the talkies.

Some films that come to mind:

The Duelists (1977)
Love & War (1975)
Funny Face (1957)
solstice1962
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum