Our partner

Thoughts On...Well....Thoughts

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Thoughts On...Well....Thoughts

Postby thefulldarby » Wed Feb 18, 2015 3:11 am

As I'm reading more about NPD I;m discovering more and more that the constant thoughts that go on in my head (good, bad, indifferent) may not be 'normal' or something that the everyday person does. By this I mean, there is always something going on in my head. I'm either analyzing a situation, or a song is set on repeat, or previously it was grandiose thoughts (I've cut down on those significantly though). It sounds like the thoughts are keeping me from being in the 'now' and really experiencing a situation. For ana nons out there, do you find that most of the day your brain is occupied? For any pwNPDs, any tactics you can provide to stop myself from constantly thinking? Thanks!
thefulldarby
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 3:16 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Thoughts On...Well....Thoughts

Postby Philonoe » Wed Feb 18, 2015 12:01 pm

Hi thefulldarby,

Here some... thoughts :wink:

I tend to think much, too.

It can have nice sides. For instance I like daydreaming. It's not a problem for me (might be in some contexts).

But too much thoughts can be painfull . As if thoughts take too much space, as if you intellectualize and are not in the feeling anymore.

I think it's a long and personal journey to get out of that. Here are some little tricks :

- Find an activity where feelings can be expressed. for instance coulour drawing, painting, modeling. Do it very spontaneous. Don't force you to follow a plan. Just fill the paper and don't try to do it well.

- Write your thoughts and feelings. So it's on the paper. You don't need to travel on the same road again and again.

- Do some physical activity like walk. When the body moves, even if you thinks you kind of relax. Seeing different landscapes can help getting different perspectives on yourself

- Some very physical activities can be useful.

- I had a little training about mindfulness, which seems very interesting and helpful. You concentrate on your body and perception, and let thoughts come and accept them. In some minutes, you can feel more connected to yourself and the present.

These are some possibilities.

Now, if your thoughts turn around NPD, I would be very carefull about what you can read in the internet and the robotic caricature of pwNPD. Having that caricature in mind, one can negate feelings and internal existence of anyone, NPD or not. So I think it's better to read about personal perceptions and feelings of people, like you can do often in this forum.

And express your feelings, desires, fears... the way you can.

(I don't fit the criteria for NPD - sorry for the mistakes in english)
Philonoe
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:16 am

Postby lolidk » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:25 pm

I think all people constantly think. I mean, that's why some people are big on meditation, because that's essentially turning all the noise and thoughts in your head off. I suppose though, I think about things most people don't think about, especially in interactions with others or in public. For example, when I'm driving, I think about how other people are seeing me as a good driver, or in conversations, I pre-plan out the interaction, even if it's just catching up with a friend or something pointless, and kind of lead the conversation in certain ways. I don't know if that is unique to pwNPD or if it's a PD thing, or if everybody does this type of thing.
DX: NPD
lolidk
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:16 am

Postby bitty » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:37 pm

thefulldarby, I don't have any advice, sorry, but I can certainly relate to a song or tune going through my mind on repeat. My father, who was mildly narcissistic, would whistle non stop; I hum a lot. Those might be a sort of outward expression of a mind that is kind of preoccupied, and not in the 'now', as you say.

I do find that when I'm trying to observe my thoughts, my mind empties. (But not of the bloody tunes, unfortunately.)
bitty
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:16 am

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post