Our partner

mind game, actors and "intimacy"

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: mind game, actors and "intimacy"

Postby freyja » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:36 am

That's fascinating unique. I didn't appreciate that at all. So all those many thousand websites on the stages of psychopathic bond including devalue and discard are pure BS?
BP1 with psychosis
freyja
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Thu Mar 28, 2024 10:42 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Unique Username » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:48 am

freyja wrote:So all those many thousand websites on the stages of psychopathic bond including devalue and discard are pure BS?

Relax. Did i say that?

You asked me about idealization, and i said psychopaths do not do this.

Of course psychopaths can devalue and discard people.. they do it all the time. A lot of the time just for fun and to get reactions from people.

But like esquire said.. for the psychopaths it is not about them. It is about hurting someone else. For a narcissist, devaluing is a direct reaction to how they feel about themselves.
Unique Username
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Mar 29, 2024 4:42 am

Postby freyja » Mon Oct 13, 2014 4:56 am

With a psychopath, no devaluation is needed since the object has always been entirely separate from them and has little to do with their ego.

I was referring to this. Thanks for your clarification.

Actually, if you type into google the words psychopath and idealize you will find a gazzillion web sites that talk about psychopaths doing that. So I guess you are saying all those websites are wrong in that respect.
BP1 with psychosis
freyja
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Unique Username » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:17 am

Doesn't everyone idealize people to some degree?

The difference is, narcissists do it subconsciously to support their ego, while psychopaths consciously do it to manipulate you and gain your trust.
Unique Username
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby freyja » Mon Oct 13, 2014 5:27 am

Thanks unique,
In this short interchanged I've gotten more clarity than I have in a long while...
BP1 with psychosis
freyja
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby freyja » Mon Oct 13, 2014 6:23 am

Are some narcissists sadistic? I"m not talking about acting in a hurtful way, but getting pleasure from seeing other people suffer as a result of one's actions. It looks from what is written, that since all feelings revolve back to the self, in narcissism, that narcissists by definition cannot be sadistic. Perhaps that is an oversimplification.
BP1 with psychosis
freyja
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby GettingAdvice » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:14 am

Let's say they are into schadenfreude!!
GettingAdvice
Consumer 1
Consumer 1

Postby Unique Username » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:33 pm

freyja wrote:Are some narcissists sadistic? I"m not talking about acting in a hurtful way, but getting pleasure from seeing other people suffer as a result of one's actions. It looks from what is written, that since all feelings revolve back to the self, in narcissism, that narcissists by definition cannot be sadistic. Perhaps that is an oversimplification.

Actually, narcissists tend to be pretty self critical and do have some inner voices, most of the time voices from their parents, which are in fact sadistic to themselves.

It depends on the person, as does everything, but narcissists can definitely be sadistic. I know for a fact that I am fairly sadistic.
Unique Username
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby freyja » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:24 pm

GettingAdvise:

Let's say they are into schadenfreude!!

lol. Can you elaborate on that?

Unique Username:
Actually, narcissists tend to be pretty self critical and do have some inner voices, most of the time voices from their parents, which are in fact sadistic to themselves.

It depends on the person, as does everything, but narcissists can definitely be sadistic. I know for a fact that I am fairly sadistic.

I find this rather opaque. If narcissists as you write devalue others because of how they feel about themselves, since it all goes back to the self -- in what sense can a narcissist be sadistic? I am not saying that I disagree with what you write but rather do not understand it.

Also what about the flip side of sadism -- let's call it enjoying the experience of seeing the other person feel good rather than feel hurt. If a narcissist is capable of being sadistic, is it not the case that a narcissist is capable of caring about another person, and how they feel. There has to be some kind of open channel there -- no?

I am still on the question I asked before which references to what Esquire wrote at the beginning of this thread:

t's quite a connundrum for me how a narcissist can want 'some level of intimacy' and yet not care about how anyone else feels. Have I got that right?
BP1 with psychosis
freyja
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby InSpiritus » Tue Oct 14, 2014 3:41 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PKddbyumP24

Some very interesting info, even those that dislike Vaknin, he makes a lot of sense.
InSpiritus
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post