Our partner

Definition, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Definition, Causes, Symptoms & Treatment

Postby AroundTheWorld » Sun Dec 18, 2016 7:17 pm

Hello! Can you tell me if it's possible to have OCD and NPD at the same time? I was diagnosticated with OCD but I saw I have some symptomps of NPD:
- I want other people to respect me, especially women and I can treat them like they don't exist
- I can't deal with being told "no"
- I can become jealous very easy for no reason
- I'm very mad and depressive when others are ignoring me
What do you think?
AroundTheWorld
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:40 am
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Akuma » Tue Dec 20, 2016 10:29 am

AroundTheWorld wrote:Hello! Can you tell me if it's possible to have OCD and NPD at the same time? I was diagnosticated with OCD but I saw I have some symptomps of NPD:
- I want other people to respect me, especially women and I can treat them like they don't exist
What do you think?

I think when youre diagnosed with OCD you should be very careful about attempts to look for some disorder you might have in addition to that, because mostly it will be a form of cyberchondria. We've had a load of OCDers here already who convinced themselves of having NPD and some forgot all about their actual diagnosis of OCD in the process. Leave the diagnosing to the pros. Apart from that a diagnosis itself wont help you anyways, only therapy can.
dx: SPD
Akuma
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby AroundTheWorld » Tue Dec 20, 2016 5:04 pm

I'm partially cured from OCD, it wasn't so serious. I took meds for one year, but I'm worried about my uncontrollable rages about feeling unique and the need of respect.
Akuma wrote:
AroundTheWorld wrote:Hello! Can you tell me if it's possible to have OCD and NPD at the same time? I was diagnosticated with OCD but I saw I have some symptomps of NPD:
What do you think?

I think when youre diagnosed with OCD you should be very careful about attempts to look for some disorder you might have in addition to that, because mostly it will be a form of cyberchondria. We've had a load of OCDers here already who convinced themselves of having NPD and some forgot all about their actual diagnosis of OCD in the process. Leave the diagnosing to the pros. Apart from that a diagnosis itself wont help you anyways, only therapy can.
AroundTheWorld
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby HR_p » Fri Feb 10, 2017 12:46 am

http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/doi/pdf ... 4.14060723

"Because of the sometimes subtle presentation
of narcissistic personality disorder, especially
at the higher-functioning end of the spectrum,
and because of the centrality of interpersonal
difficulties in the disorder, a systematic clin-
ical interview may be the most reliable way
to diagnose narcissistic personality disorder.
Kernberg’s structural interview (29) is one such
clinical interview, and it is also available in
modified form as a semistructured interview
(30). While structured assessments for narcis-
sistic personality disorder, in both self-report
and structured interview formats, have dem-
onstrated reliability and utility for research, they
add little to the interview of a skilled clinician.
"
HR_p
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:40 am

Postby Hexagonfly » Sat Apr 01, 2017 2:53 pm

Modafinil could help.
Hexagonfly
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 2:40 am

Re: now i get it...

Postby MsSuzieQ » Sat Jul 15, 2017 6:49 pm

naykidd wrote:my lifes a wasteland. and ive always blamed my "drug problem".
but after three days of reading, on npd. it all makes sense, if thats even possible.
. i dont know what to do next, cause it looks like my problems are worse than i thought.until a few days ago i at least, thought i have some qualities, knowledge,[im a know it all] all my collecting [books,pottery, glass etc] my art,my work,or being the best carpenter around. hell, i even learned a couple beethoven piano sonatas, just to impress my impossible to impress father. im nothing...now i really need drugs.all that i am isnt me, now what? i want to go wake my biggest detractor, dad, and say its not my fault. is it?

Were you a golden child? If so, you probably achieve a lot as a way to get fuel having learned as a child. I learned to manage my father by becoming a nice trophy for him. Maybe this leads to borderline traits.

I consider myself more of an empath. Because i was golden to my father he tutored me. Showed me how he treated women so it wouldn't happen to me. Encouraged me to compete and not take crap.

So I'm nurturing and like to please and perform. But I don't take crap off people.

My struggle is to find calm in just being--to not always achieve something to feel good.
MsSuzieQ
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:40 am

Postby outoforder » Mon Sep 18, 2017 3:55 pm

Butterfly Faerie wrote:Alcohol and other drugs (AOD) can induce states that mimic a personality disorder, but if an AOD-using person with a personality disorder abstains, only the symptoms of the personality disorder will still be evident.

What does that mean?
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice!
outoforder
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Previous

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post