Our partner

Did anyone followed Jodi Arias case!

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Did anyone followed Jodi Arias case!

Postby saudade7 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 1:44 am

Tayshia wrote:Curious, What makes you believe she has bpd? I can't find anything to suggest that.

-- Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:28 am --

Curious, What makes you believe she has bpd? I can't find anything to suggest that.

Imo, the biggest indicator of possible BPD was how she mirrored Travis and adopted his lifestyle/did things she claims she didn't enjoy to please him. Also, it was said she was moody as a teenager but did not have a record or conduct disorder.

That being said, although there are borderline traits, she doesn't seem like a pure borderline, because she is able to turn off her emotions and empathy easily, which is more of what sociopaths do. (yes, some sociopaths can feel empathy, but can shut it off).

Of course, she's awfully bad at lying and looks transparent doing it, and there are cases of neurotypical people blanking out when anxious or forcing themselves to believe their own lie so they can avoid hurting their families. Because a trial is such a tainted vignette of behavior, it's hard to say whether she feels remorse or not. But I do think she's a narcissistic person, regardless of which personality disorder(s) she has.
saudade7
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:46 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby Tayshia » Fri Apr 25, 2014 4:18 am

It is an interesting case but I am a bit worried about what you think bpd traits are. I have never heard of people with bpd mirroring others etc . That's inaccurate. The only thing close to right that was mentioned was being moody, of course that is true of bpd although being moody doesn't necessarily mean you have bpd.
Bpd is an illness where emotional distress , fear of abandonment, unstable identity and self harm are common examples of possible symptoms.
Tayshia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:16 am

Postby seabreezeblue » Fri Apr 25, 2014 9:21 am

It is an interesting case but I am a bit worried about what you think bpd traits are. I have never heard of people with bpd mirroring others etc . That's inaccurate. The only thing close to right that was mentioned was being moody, of course that is true of bpd although being moody doesn't necessarily mean you have bpd.
Bpd is an illness where emotional distress , fear of abandonment, unstable identity and self harm are common examples of possible symptoms

^ you have some inaccurate information there.. mirroring is very much a part of BPD and it links in with the unstable identity component that you mention.. it is in fact one of the most common symptoms aside from the emotional instability.

Because the pwBPD doesn't have a solid core sense of self of their own, they shapeshift.. much like a chameleon changes colour in order to fit in with their surroundings - a pwBPD adopts the traits of the people that she/he is currently around and therefore her/his self image is created in the moment.. he/she feels liked, part of the group and therefore accepted..

When a pwBPD moves on to another group/relationship - their likes,dislikes etc will bend and change to fit the new situation..

Interesting point to note; many pwBPD will also adopt the other persons way of speaking and mimic accents without meaning to..
Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby saudade7 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 3:11 pm

Tayshia wrote:It is an interesting case but I am a bit worried about what you think bpd traits are. I have never heard of people with bpd mirroring others etc . That's inaccurate. The only thing close to right that was mentioned was being moody, of course that is true of bpd although being moody doesn't necessarily mean you have bpd.
Bpd is an illness where emotional distress , fear of abandonment, unstable identity and self harm are common examples of possible symptoms.

Yeah, she mirrored him so she'd feel more connected to him and so he wouldn't leave her. She didn't want to take the risk of being herself (whatever that is) when she could just adopt his identity and make him her life.
saudade7
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby Tayshia » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:12 pm

No it's not inaccurate. I know all about bpd for many reasons, 1/I have studied mental health 2/ I have learnt all about bpd through dbt class , dbt counselling and through knowing many people with bpd. I also have this diagnosis and I have read up on it loads. So yeah I am pretty confident that I have a good understanding on this subject matter. I can see where you are getting the idea that bpd sufferers mirror others but that is not necessarily true, of course it's possible just like it is possible for any person , mental illness or not. What you were referring to about not having a 'solid core sense of self' is more about having an unstable identity - the person does often change but this is generally a result of having the person's self esteem affected by others -for example my teacher tells me I am a quick learner and consequently I feel good about myself/ like a confident person but then someone insults me and I might feel like a bad person. Fortunately even these behaviours can be broken with the practice of dbt skills etc and yes a bpd sufferer might change to adapt to a situation but it really is nothing like the case of jodi, who was clearly obsessed with that guy and most likely the mirroring was a result of that.
Tayshia
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:16 am

Postby seabreezeblue » Fri Apr 25, 2014 10:24 pm

Shine me a light up
and i'll run round the moon..
seabreezeblue
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (26)

Postby BabyPie » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:02 am

The thing about her confuses me is, it was premeditated. She clearly was well prepared, she left a voicemail after the murder pretending she was somewhere else etc.

She had sex with her bf one last time before murdering him and many other things.

But her personality always seem so fake to me. She can't even lie properly. She is like a mixture of sociopath and NPD. I say this because if she had ASPD she would some history that could put her in trouble with the law.

But I never thought about BPD, because everytime I go on BPD forum they are talking about suicide, self harm etc. It is scary to ask questions there like I can ask here because I fear I can trigger someone and I don't want anyone to hurt themselve. So, it is hard to think that a pwBPD can kill someone else, normally I would think pwBPD hurt or kill themselves not others.
BabyPie
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:46 am

Postby Esquire » Sun Apr 27, 2014 7:06 am

BabyPie wrote:So, it is hard to think that a pwBPD can kill someone else, normally I would think pwBPD hurt or kill themselves not others.

Borderlines experience very intense emotions and impulses, and that includes rage. Borderlines absolutely engage in physical violence towards others. I've talked to Borderlines who have come out and admitted this.
Esquire
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Apr 16, 2024 6:46 pm

Postby BabyPie » Sun Apr 27, 2014 10:08 am

This is why I sometimes wonder if BPD and NPD are similar disorder with the only difference being gender. And by gender I don't really mean physically, I mean that BPD driven by emotions i.e. Similar to being female and NPD driven by logic i.e. Similar to being male.

I mean to say in society males are represented as having emotions but functioning a little more on logic i.e. Taking decisions based on rational reasoning whereas females are represented as having logic but functioning a little more based on emotions.

So, where does it lead us to, it leads us if we have one personality disorder but we add a mix of either male or female personality to it.
BabyPie
Consumer 4
Consumer 4

Local time: Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:46 am

Postby saudade7 » Sun Apr 27, 2014 5:59 pm

Anyone is capable of murder under the right circumstances. But fewer people are capable of calculated, premeditated murder, especially after having sex with the person/making them think you want to get back together.

I saw a movie about her, and I'm not sure how much of it was accurate, but it showed her not deciding to kill him until she saw a text message from another woman. Now, I'm not sure if this is how it happened in real life, because in both the movie and in real life she brought the murder weapon with her, but according to the movie it looked as though she was having second thoughts before seeing the text message. If it happened liked this: She was angry with him for mistreating her, decided to go over there and kill him in a fit of rage, but then briefly changed her mind because he said she was the one for him, which made her feel better, only to change her mind again when she sees a text from another woman on his phone--then I could see her as BPD.

But if she was going to murder him no matter what, for revenge after he humiliated and rejected her, and there was a lot of planning put in, then while she may have BPD traits also, NPD, psychopathic, or even PPD traits seem to be present because that would be someone coldly and calculatedly defending their honor, satisfied to see someone who they feel wronged them in agony.
saudade7
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

PreviousNext

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post