Our partner

Would a narcissist ever admit to being someone else?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Re: Would a narcissist ever admit to being someone else?

Postby phoenix_rising » Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:50 pm

onlytime wrote:I am wondering if it's more NPD, BPD or psychopathic (or a combination) for a man to be seductive? He wanted what he wanted and he wanted to "win". The thing is, he wouldn't (maybe couldn't) do the one thing that would've gotten him what he wanted (personal conversation/intimacy). Of course, I'm glad that it never developed, but it still leaves me trying to understand his behavior or lack thereof. He was dead set on trying to impress me. He didn't make any attempt to really get to know me beyond the superficial, but I've never seen someone try so hard to put themselves in my space and try to be like me and impress. I will check out the other forums, but he was a narcissist only with his need to either be like me or be who I wanted him to be; definitely kept me at a distance as far as really getting to know him; sensitive to perceived criticism; moody; etc. I'm ok if I walk away from this without a "label". I wouldn't like to be labeled, so doing it to others isn't fair. But I want to understand what I saw.

This pretty much describes the person I was involved with also. I would love to know the answer to this as well!
phoenix_rising
Consumer 3
Consumer 3

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:20 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Postby dherpin » Tue Mar 04, 2014 6:13 pm

It's not so much they are trying to impress you by wearing mask or whatever behavior they may be displaying. They are always wearing the mask, they are always being themselves with no control. They act like that at home, by themselves, with nobody around to hear or see them. They are always on stange, if nothing else, it angers the narc more to hear "just be yourself" when that is exactly what they are doing. They are being themselves, and their identity or lack there of, is based on impressing others, what a insidious thing to believe that they are not true to themselves. They are truer to themselves than ones claiming they are not because they have to no power to do otherwise. They are always on stage, even alone. I hope this helps.
dherpin
Consumer 5
Consumer 5

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:20 pm

Postby onlytime » Tue Mar 04, 2014 10:32 pm

Yes, it helps :-). Thanks for the insight. How does one differentiate between the BPD tendency to be like a chameleon in different situations vs. the NPD tendency to wear different masks? Sounds like different wording for the same thing...pretending to be someone you are not. He would say he did certain things just for me (the whole time I was thinking, "no you're not! You're doing it for yourself; your own gain).
onlytime
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:20 pm

Previous

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post