Our partner

Am I a narcissist or a sociopatch?

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: narcbolan, masquerade, Esquire

Am I a narcissist or a sociopatch?

Postby Lavinski » Sun Sep 01, 2013 4:00 am

These are the symptons that I have:
-Nice and charismatic person
-Very intelligent
-Convincing liar
-I manipulative everyone
-No emotions
-Usually talk my way of out troubles

Do I need to see a psychiatrist?
Lavinski
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Local time: Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:29 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Am I a narcissist or a sociopatch?

Postby PamHelf » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:14 am

It's very doubtful you are a sociopath because if you are asking the question, you usually aren't.

No one can diagnose you on line.

A better question is:

Are the characteristics you list causing you difficulty that you can identify in your day to day life such that you think you need help?
PamHelf
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Postby katana » Sun Sep 01, 2013 11:27 am

psychologically i'd say npd has strong superego involvement so the main question would be do you have one? you can also have aspd traits with npd or npd traits with sociopathy, personally i'd look at the underlying psychology first but some aspects of the system would look at behaviour first because their concern is how much of a problem you cause to society or strain you put on the system. your concerns should be your own happiness and quality of life, so I'd look at psychology first if i were you, and take behaviour into account too because it can reflect some aspects of underlying psychology you may be unaware of - when correctly interpreted.
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Lavinski » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:31 am

katana wrote:psychologically i'd say npd has strong superego involvement so the main question would be do you have one? you can also have aspd traits with npd or npd traits with sociopathy, personally i'd look at the underlying psychology first but some aspects of the system would look at behaviour first because their concern is how much of a problem you cause to society or strain you put on the system. your concerns should be your own happiness and quality of life, so I'd look at psychology first if i were you, and take behaviour into account too because it can reflect some aspects of underlying psychology you may be unaware of - when correctly interpreted.

I always feel superior than a lot of people because I could use them so easily. I think that they boring, dull, easy, and ordinary.
Lavinski
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby Michelleinmichigan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 12:49 am

Lavinski wrote:These are the symptons that I have:
-Very intelligent
-Convincing liar
-I manipulative everyone
-No emotions

What is your response when someone rejects you, or criticizes your behaviors?
Michelleinmichigan
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby Lavinski » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:13 pm

Michelleinmichigan wrote:
-Very intelligent
-Convincing liar
-I manipulative everyone
-No emotions

Sometimes, I don't feel anything. The other times, my body is filled anger and sadness.
Lavinski
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Postby piercett » Mon Sep 02, 2013 2:31 pm

Lavinski wrote:
katana wrote:psychologically i'd say npd has strong superego involvement so the main question would be do you have one? you can also have aspd traits with npd or npd traits with sociopathy, personally i'd look at the underlying psychology first but some aspects of the system would look at behaviour first because their concern is how much of a problem you cause to society or strain you put on the system. your concerns should be your own happiness and quality of life, so I'd look at psychology first if i were you, and take behaviour into account too because it can reflect some aspects of underlying psychology you may be unaware of - when correctly interpreted.

I always feel superior than a lot of people because I could use them so easily. I think that they boring, dull, easy, and ordinary.

I think everyone encounters people they find dull and boring. I don't know that it makes you nod. Sometimes people know you are manipulating them and you're the one who doesn't know. Over time npd's are very transparent. It's great to become self aware....I think id n's new how transparent they were they would be mortified.
piercett
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Sun Dec 21, 2014 2:29 pm

Postby Michelleinmichigan » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:27 pm

Lavinski wrote:
Michelleinmichigan wrote:
-Very intelligent
-Convincing liar
-I manipulative everyone
-No emotions

Sometimes, I don't feel anything. The other times, my body is filled anger and sadness.

My guess is just a narcissist. Pychopaths would be very unlikely to react to criticism. Narcissists can also be psychpaths. Psychopaths are more troublesome thrill seekers types, that don't do things that they can just talk themselves out of, no matter how great their gift of gab. They get in trouble.
Last edited by Michelleinmichigan on Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Michelleinmichigan
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (1)

Postby katana » Mon Sep 02, 2013 7:47 pm

People can have traits of both NPD and AsPD/Dissocial PD/whateveruwant2callit. lol

Criticism is an interesting thing because it functions on two levels - what others think of you and whether it brings up any indiscrepancies in what you think of yourself. While a psychopath might be immune to the first, they won't be automatically immune to the second, though the second could also be considered a sign of narcissistic issues or at least issues with security in yourself on some level or other. In NPD itself, would I be right if I said there is a "pathological malfunction of self-esteem as a whole" ? (correct me if i'm wrong.) But a person can still have narcissistic traits or issues without that being the main issue.

Rejection is another interesting one because many people will only feel rejected in relation to people who matter to them, so the first point there is whether there are any people who matter to you, lol. the second one (whether you have npd or aspd or any other issue) is whether its rejection itself or the implication of that rejection.

For example for me personally, I feel rejected in general and feel that people (in general) prevent me from just being able to be myself. The connotation is lack of personal power, freedom, the need to pretend to be someone else, etc. If I didn't feel they didn't have any control over outcomes or my circumstances through whatever remote or subtle means, I wouldn't give two shits if they rejected me. Its not like I'm thinking boohoo none of them love me or something. :lol: - So I think in a way as a concept, its compatible with either or both. Just depends what's going on individually.

Rejection, idk how that applies to NPD, but I know criticism is a major problem and problems there probably point at least to narcissistic issues. (though its worth bearing in mind these issues may not amount to a PD in every instance you see them or a huge percentage of the population would have NPD, lol.)

Please feel free to correct if you think I have anything wrong there or you think my reply is in any way stupid. (I actually feel much more comfortable with direct criticism so there's no need to put things nicely with me to spare my feeeelings :P)
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Lavinski » Sun Sep 08, 2013 5:55 pm

katana wrote:People can have traits of both NPD and AsPD/Dissocial PD/whateveruwant2callit. lol

Criticism is an interesting thing because it functions on two levels - what others think of you and whether it brings up any indiscrepancies in what you think of yourself. While a psychopath might be immune to the first, they won't be automatically immune to the second, though the second could also be considered a sign of narcissistic issues or at least issues with security in yourself on some level or other. In NPD itself, would I be right if I said there is a "pathological malfunction of self-esteem as a whole" ? (correct me if i'm wrong.) But a person can still have narcissistic traits or issues without that being the main issue.

Rejection is another interesting one because many people will only feel rejected in relation to people who matter to them, so the first point there is whether there are any people who matter to you, lol. the second one (whether you have npd or aspd or any other issue) is whether its rejection itself or the implication of that rejection.

For example for me personally, I feel rejected in general and feel that people (in general) prevent me from just being able to be myself. The connotation is lack of personal power, freedom, the need to pretend to be someone else, etc. If I didn't feel they didn't have any control over outcomes or my circumstances through whatever remote or subtle means, I wouldn't give two shits if they rejected me. Its not like I'm thinking boohoo none of them love me or something. :lol: - So I think in a way as a concept, its compatible with either or both. Just depends what's going on individually.

Rejection, idk how that applies to NPD, but I know criticism is a major problem and problems there probably point at least to narcissistic issues. (though its worth bearing in mind these issues may not amount to a PD in every instance you see them or a huge percentage of the population would have NPD, lol.)

Please feel free to correct if you think I have anything wrong there or you think my reply is in any way stupid. (I actually feel much more comfortable with direct criticism so there's no need to put things nicely with me to spare my feeeelings :P)

I don't get depressed/upset with weak criticism, not unless it's a strong one. This is one of the big criticisms that my mom told me: "I don't want you to be an architect because there are many people who are way better than you. you will fail and quit this career once you get into college. Don't be like your dad, just will end up like him." These are the exact things that my mom said, I did not even change a word in the quote.
Lavinski
Consumer 0
Consumer 0

Next

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post