Our partner

Difference between feeling entitled and just being spoiled

Narcissistic Personality Disorder message board, open discussion, and online support group.

Moderators: narcbolan, masquerade, Esquire

Difference between feeling entitled and just being spoiled

Postby Bovary » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:28 pm

Or is it the same?
And when I say spoiled, I mean more emotionally spoiled and not just used to expensive things.
Bovary
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (1)

ADVERTISEMENT

Re: Difference between feeling entitled and just being spoil

Postby katana » Sat Jul 27, 2013 10:43 pm

Hmm. I suppose a person could feel entitled because they've been spoiled, but a person could also feel entitled out of anger and feeling they are owed what they never had.
katana
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (2)

Postby Esquire » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:11 am

Bovary wrote:Or is it the same?
And when I say spoiled, I mean more emotionally spoiled and not just used to expensive things.

An NPD's sense of entitlement is not the same as being spoiled. If it were, NPDs when facing the adult world would eventually lose their sense of entitlement as bosses, coworkers, friends, etc, refused to put them on a pedestal emotionally. But we all know that NPDs generally do not change. You are asking the question from a Non's perspective. A Non with healthy empathy cannot imagine being a person who totally dismisses other people and their needs, wants, and feelings and totally focusing on themselves without something like "being spoiled" as the cause. What you have to do is imagine how you would interact with the world if during childhood you had shut off your empathy receptors because you felt that you weren't receiving unconditional love for any number of reasons (parents were abusive, parents conditioned love on you being perfect, you just didn't fit in among your peers, etc).

Once you've minimized your ability to feel empathy or love for others, then you're basically approaching the world in a totally different way than a Non. You're not acting entitled because you're "spoiled," you're acting entitled because it's just natural for you to focus on maximizing the happiness of the only person left who matters: yourself. As I suggested before, if NPDs were just spoiled, they wouldn't be able to wreak the havoc that they do, as is evidenced from their victims' testimonies on sites like this.
Esquire
Moderator: Consumer
Moderator: Consumer

Local time: Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:31 pm
Blog: View Blog (0)

Postby Bovary » Sun Jul 28, 2013 12:46 am

VirginiaEsquire wrote:
Bovary wrote:Or is it the same?

An NPD's sense of entitlement is not the same as being spoiled. If it were, NPDs when facing the adult world would eventually lose their sense of entitlement as bosses, coworkers, friends, etc, refused to put them on a pedestal emotionally. But we all know that NPDs generally do not change. You are asking the question from a Non's perspective. A Non with healthy empathy cannot imagine being a person who totally dismisses other people and their needs, wants, and feelings and totally focusing on themselves without something like "being spoiled" as the cause. What you have to do is imagine how you would interact with the world if during childhood you had shut off your empathy receptors because you felt that you weren't receiving unconditional love for any number of reasons (parents were abusive, parents conditioned love on you being perfect, you just didn't fit in among your peers, etc).

Once you've minimized your ability to feel empathy or love for others, then you're basically approaching the world in a totally different way than a Non. You're not acting entitled because you're "spoiled," you're acting entitled because it's just natural for you to focus on maximizing the happiness of the only person left who matters: yourself. As I suggested before, if NPDs were just spoiled, they wouldn't be able to wreak the havoc that they do, as is evidenced from their victims' testimonies on sites like this.

I don't say NPDs are just spoiled or that spoiled people have NPD.I'm simply trying to see what qualifies as a sense of entitlement.I think that if someone spoiled doesn't stop being spoiled it could be entitlement.Like if they can't stand not being the only important person in the world.
Bovary
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:31 pm

Postby Pink01 » Sun Jul 28, 2013 9:55 am

I think there's a big difference between feeling entitled and just being spoiled. You can be spoiled but not feel necessarily entitled to any of it.
There's Trouble in Candyland

Image ImageImage
Pink01
Consumer 6
Consumer 6

Local time: Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:31 pm

Return to Narcissistic Personality Disorder Forum

• Related articles
    Replies
    Views
    Last post